1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why are body lifts not a good idea?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CNEDEER, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER [OP] If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Alright, so I've been back and forth on what lift kit to purchase. I don't do any offroading, aside from a gravel or dirt road here and there while hunting. I've done some looking around on the forums and everyone seems to hate on the body lifts? I'm not an expert on lifts whatsoever, so I was curious as to what their flaws are? To me, it seems like a good idea, given the price, and the fact that I don't ever go offroad, plus less wear and tear on my suspension and front end compared to a suspension lift (or am I wrong). Anyways, can someone clue me in as to the "cons" of these body lifts?:confused:

2. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    BBody lifts weaken the connection between the body of the truck and the frame by adding spacers, if you get into an accident, this can be a damage multiplier
    also, there's been quite a few people who have had the spacers wear holes completely through their frames.

There's small lifts that allow for larger lifts that are well within the "safe" zone for suspension wear

3. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i have a bl....

4. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
  5. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    It raises you CG (center of gravity) and you roll over much easier and "accident avoidance" (especially at higher speeds) is much more difficult.

6. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Could that not be said of all lifts though ?

7. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Any sort of lift is going to raise the COG.

Most problems associated with body lifts occur because a small washer is used on the bolts inside the cab, causing the cab to rip off the bolts. A properly installed body lift with large washers inside the cab will not have problems.

I would personally never used a body lift above 1" because they are ugly. I don't like the frame showing.

8. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Yes ... it is generic to all lifts ... :D

9. Nov 5, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I love these BL threads.

I don't have one but it's always fun reading the same nonsense replies of people copying and pasting stuff they're heard from somebody who heard oh no this that blah blah..

BL have their good points (if done right) and their bad points (done right or wrong), just like DB lifts do and yes Oh's no's even the 3" lifts. I could go over all the good and bad points but I have more important things to do, well actually I don't but I'm lazy and as history will show here, about 75+% will bash them. I don't like BL's or hate them.

As far as the ugly frame hanging down, look at it as free sliders. May look ugly but so do DB's. At least the frame hanging down keeps your doors off the ground, though I doubt many would do that kind of wheeling with a BL anyway.

With all that said I don't think I would use one. I might try one if it wasn't such a hassle to swap it back to stock. Too much BS to try as an expeirment. All the ghetto spacers, hose extension etc. Too ghetto me thinks. The basic concept seem ok but in reality egh no, probablly not.

Plus they're gay!

jq1604 likes this.
  10. Nov 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    oneBIGroom

oneBIGroom SSS

Member:
    First Name:
    SSS
    SSS
    Vehicle:
    SSS
    SSS
    I just ordered a 3" ProComp lift and a 3" body lift. But I just wanted height, cause I hate how short 1st gens are. I wouldn't recommend it for offroading, but im a PreRunner so I dont plan on it. Body lifts add height and dont effect ride quality, and I dont think body lifts look that bad with gap guards. I also have running boards so they'll help hide the frame. And if you use grade 8 bolts it would take a bad wreck for your cab to go anywhere. I just didnt want to spend $2000+ on a Fabtech that i'd never put to use.
    :crapstorm:

11. Nov 5, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I just post things I've seen firsthand :thumbsup:

12. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap

I think by law that makes you a one percenter LOL

13. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    1998tacomaowner

1998tacomaowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    clarkston WA
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma
    3in lift,33s
    They suck don't do it and they look like shit

14. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
    i have a body lift and im taking it off once its time for me to get new tires and the reason is that it is cracking through the frame of the truck......ill post pics later so u can see the damage it has caused

also the bolts that hold them on re always becoming loose and have actually fell out one time. luckily the body mount did not slide out or it could have caused major damage

15. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    99TacoDriver

Member:
    South Louisiana
    i wasnt the original owner so i had no choice :/

16. Nov 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    99TacoDriver

Member:
    South Louisiana
    ok so i know its been a while but here are the pics of the body lift and the frame cracking:

this is what the lift looks like....its little unclear but u can see i put a plate between the frame and the puck (to stop the puck from cracking through the frame) it give the frame a little more room to rest on
    IMG_0059.jpg

tthis is inside the truck where the bolt that goes through the puck is bolted at

IMG_0058.jpg

this is the cracking....you can see it under the washer where it began to be pulled through the frame and cracked the frame

IMG_0057.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top