1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The 4 cylinder?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Scott K, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Feb 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM
    TravelinLight

TravelinLight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    You guys are scaring the shit out of me! I've all but closed on a 2012 AC 4cyl Automatic and going to pick it up Saturday. I haven't drove one yet but I just assumed it would be fine. I would prefer a stick but for a daily driver that my girlfriend will also drive some (she cant drive a stick), I went with auto. I'll mostly be driving on the road here in Florida and Alabama where its flat BUT I do plan to take it into the mountains with a bed platform and camping gear and you guys make it sound like I wont be able to do the speed limit! I want the 4 cylinder because I want the gas mileage and I want to be able to put a small lift and 265's on it without hurting that mileage too bad.

Am I making a big mistake? I dont need the power for off-roading, but I need to be able to make it up steep grades with a bit of a load. Please help! I fly down to Tampa on Saturday to pick this thing up! Already bought the one way ticket.

lot%20side%20view_zpsyvusydxi_cb102d80974e0c4103823d1f87bd23213fb14c20.jpg

2. Feb 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM
    Manual Man

Manual Man New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    (sold) 03 Tacoma 4 x 4 MT
    Looks great!
    I think you'll be fine - you don't have to buy into the bigger is better hype - unless you actualy require the bigger engine. I had the 2.7L Access Cab with the 5 speed MT and it was a great engine for my purposes; small hauls, driving to work, etc. I plan to get another 2.7.

3. Feb 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    TravelinLight

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    Bilsteins on front and rear, OME 885 coils, Wheeler's AAL with overload left in, LR UCA's, Stock TRD 17" wheels, 255/75-17 BFG KM tires, VIPMOTOZ headlights, Lifetime LED headlight bulbs, 6000K LED Fog bulbs, Jumper's Interior and license plate LED's, Husky Classic floor mats, OEM bed mat, Leer100R truck shell with carpeted platform, de-badged, white derped grill emblem.
    Thanks Manual Man. I'm not having doubts about the 2.7L but I now I'm doubting the automatic. I dont mind a manual but I'm on flat land and highway/around town a lot of the time so I thought auto would work better. That, and nobody seems to know how to drive a stick anymore! If i ever needed my girlfriend to take a turn driving on a road trip, or need somebody to move my car in the driveway, or I'm drunk and need a DD, NOBODY CAN DRIVE IT! Haha that may sound dumb, but that was my main reason.

4. Feb 5, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    I've stated it before, but you're not the only one. When I tried to teach my (then girlfriend) wife how to drive stick, she quit for fear of ruining the transmission. She could get the hang of shifting, but not the timing of the clutch pedal. She's insisted on automatics since. It's been cheaper for me to get automatics than a new wife.

In all my deployments, over half of the troops I had didn't know what a clutch was. We had to teach people how to drive a manual, because we'd lease vehicles locally (cheaper than shipping from America). Everything we'd lease was manual, because that's what they drive in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.

Lots of Hiluxes. Good trucks.

5. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    You wont be able to do the speed limit on mountain passes, even with a manual. I could do it in my old one, but I hated revving the engine so much keeping it pegged in lower gears. They are tough reliable little engines though, if you take care of it it will last for a very long time. Main reason I got a different truck is I needed the room for my 4 big dogs and I was tired of shifting so it was time for a double cab and an auto.

Did you make a mistake? That's ultimately up to you to decide when you spend some time driving it.

6. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    You could also supercharge your 2.7 and then you will be set! The URD S/C wakes them right up, bumps it up to 211hp I think. :D
    Which is more than my 3.4 V6, btw. That wont last long though, I intend to S/C my engine soon.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:43 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    I think you'll be fine. Driving a 2.7 up a mountain with a load is going to require you to be in a lower gear, regardless of whether you've got a manual or an automatic.

8. Feb 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    BDL5589

BDL5589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM 4WD RC
    The answer is...Diesel...:)

9. Feb 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I don't have direct experience with that truck, but I have driven an underpowered 4 cyl truck through CA/NV/UT mountains. Mine was about 114 hp and roughly the same weight as your Tacoma. On a steep pass I couldn't make the speed limit, would have to downshift to 3rd on a 5 speed MT. Might be going 50 or so. On some really steep passes I might be in 2nd at 35 mph but that was pretty rare.

You are looking at a 150 hp compared to my 114hp. I expect on most passes you'll do 60 something fine. No you won't do 80. On a very steep pass you might be in the right lane at 50. So what? For like 4 miles out of the thousands of miles you drive you won't be able to go top speed. I honestly don't think a MT would make your situation any better than an AT going up hills.

I learned pretty quickly with my old 4 cyl truck that when the passes came I was just going to be taking a few extra minutes to get over them. The other 99% of my driving power was not a problem at all.

I say if you've got a vehicle in your sights and you originally wanted an I4 then stick with the I4 and if you find yourself going slow up a pass at some point just enjoy the view out your window and think how little the extra three minutes it takes you to get to the top matter in the grand scheme of things.

10. Feb 6, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    TravelinLight

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayes
    Pensacola, FL
    I LIKE THIS GUY!!!

11. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:32 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    The current 4cyl is an excellent engine. Its not the most powerful or efficient but it is built to run forever. Have a look at my 2008 with the valve cover off.

[​IMG]

You are looking at one of the best 4cyl engines for durability out there, check out the Oiling system for the cam's.

12. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    here you can see a 22r, for comparison. as well as a 20r which makes no difference. And a 2zz.
    [​IMG]

13. Feb 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

carry it right on over.. lol

14. Feb 6, 2015 at 5:37 PM
    Manual Man

Manual Man New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    (sold) 03 Tacoma 4 x 4 MT
    I really miss my 2.7L but the Access Cab was getting too cramped for the kids...I would get the 2.7L again without question but I need the Double Cab

15. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2.7 engine. Excellent durability and good gas mileage. No it isn't a race car. Then again neither is the Tacoma with a 6 banger.

It just depends on what you want. IMO the 6 banger is more troublesome reading the forums.

16. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:12 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That shor is purdy right there! I like it.

17. Feb 7, 2015 at 2:09 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Just stopped by to say "Hi" to Jimmy. As usual though, I agree with what you're saying. Keep being you man! :thumbsup:

:)

18. Feb 7, 2015 at 4:56 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

I gotta be me! I very often seem to agree with your post as well! :thumbsup: Great minds tend to think alike!

19. Feb 7, 2015 at 10:59 AM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    My 2008 was a dog at highway speeds, but it was never a problem offroad. The only reason aside from fun I went to the v6 was because I tow a lot and after years pushing my 2008 as hard as is could go I wanted it.

Your not making a mistake if you don't have to have the power and can live with a slug it is a great very reliable engine.

20. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:46 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It is honestly beyond me why in the hell anyone would do this ( buy a car/truck ) without touching, seeing or driving the specific vehicle. Not trying to make you feel bad, I just think that is not a very bright thing to do. I would love to hear why however.

That being said. How committed are you to this deal? Have you signed anything? If the answer is no, I would bail out until I have actually touched and driven one at least on an extended test drive ( City, highway and a rough road or two ) just to see how it handles and if it will meet your needs. You should be able to get a refund on the plane ticket.

I do have a 2012 AC Prerunner with the 2.7 liter engine automatic 4 speed and it does everything that I need it to with respectable MPG ( about 20 mpg city driving ). It is not a race car nor a dragster. It does have plenty of torque and power for hauling the yard debris, mulch and dirt that I do around the house.

No one can tell you what will make you happy, but yourself. If I were you I would back off until I drove one at least. But it isn't my money you are spending. Let us know what happens... I wish you luck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top