1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New York International Auto Show

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by imag, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Mar 30, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    imag

imag [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoping we at least get to see different colors, maybe some engine specs.

2. Mar 30, 2015 at 9:09 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Same here, im definitely making it a point to go this year, April 10th is Toyota's main day

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  3. Apr 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    imag

Member:
    Apparently Toyota brought the new Tacoma, but I can't even find any other news. Please get photos...

4. Apr 7, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    They brought it to Dallas too but you couldn't touch it as it was behind ropes/barriers. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

5. Apr 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    imag

Member:
    This is New York though, and it's the last big auto show before this thing is supposed to launch. Considering that there has been no information since January, it seems like they should do something.

6. Apr 7, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:

I'm curious to see how much HP this van motor puts out. But its more than likely that all the info will be released closer to production (mid August). They're probably scrambling to get near the Colorado HP numbers with their Atkinson, Otto, Larry, Curly, and Moe cycle engine.

4.0L > new 3.5L

7. Apr 7, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    I will be sure to, I cant wait! :)

8. Apr 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    Xewkija631

Xewkija631 Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK DC TRD OFF ROAD
    What do you mean by 'new' Tacoma? assuming not the same ones not shown at the Detroit auto show?

9. Apr 7, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    imag

Member:
    Well, the 2016. A lot of times manufacturers will bring new versions to later shows leading up to public availability. Or they at least repaint the versions they showed previously to show off other colors.

A new(ish) Taco should be a pretty big deal. I am a bit surprised they have done nothing since Detroit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  10. Apr 7, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Same here, im hoping to see a spec sheet at least with hp and torque numbers

11. Apr 8, 2015 at 6:04 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm wondering how much the truck will change between now and October. It's been on stage multiple places but if they refuse to actually show what's in it that tells me it's not done and what we're seeing is really a rebodied 2nd gen.

When I was at the DFW Auto Show I saw the exhaust pipe that crosses under the drive shaft near the transfer case that looked IDENTICAL to the one on my truck (well, without the scratches and dents anyway). That was my first clue that the engine was the same.

12. Apr 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I believe it is actually different, yes it will still cross over, thats for certain, but when there were spy photos of the test mule, the pipes looked to be a larger diameter and the bends in the pipes looked much smoother. Ill update with pics and my speculations sometime early this weekend, going friday the 10th for sure

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  13. Apr 11, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I was at the NYIAS yesterday, the driveline looks nearly the same as the 2nd gen. The exhaust cross over is slightly different with a smoother bend in the Y pipe and the pipe diameter is alittle larger.... theres also some more random braces bolted onto the frame to stiffen it up alittle I guess, frame looks the same, front and rear diffs look exactly the same as does the frame in its basic construction. The rear leafs are the same with 4 leafs, still coil over struts in the front, control arms are nearly the same, but the front skid plate looks different... but the oil pan looks exactly like the current truck.... No open hood and absolutely no engine power specs.... I took some pictures of the underside but for some reason my image hosting site will not let me upload them. The truck is generally just an uglier rebodied 2nd gen with a few drivetrain tweaks and a slightly more powerful engine. Im going to estimate that the 3.5 will new around 270hp at the crank, and probably around the same number for the torque figure... so about a 15% increase over the current 4.0 1gr-fe, and all of these gains are coming for an engine that was engineered for increased fuel efficiency, the power is just a by product of the increased efficiency... .... and the new 6 speeds are solely there for increased fuel efficiency, and the manual is again, probably regeared for better fuel efficiency just my speculations but I think they are pretty logical given the small amount of info we've been given. .. Also, so far Toyota is skimping bigtime on the accessories for the 3rd gen, only steps, roof rack, fog lights, bed extender, ball hitch, Mudflaps, running boards, Exhaust tip and a bed step... unimpressive... I hope TRD is going to at least make a catback exhaust for it... would love to also see a factory lift available to the general public without the need to buy a TRDpro or baja or what have you. To add, its to my understanding that Toyota has fixed all of the stupid quirks/vibes that the 2nd gens have with the 3rd gen. But you know that its an inevitably that the 3rd gen will develop its own strange issues too lol

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  14. Apr 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    This/\/\
    2016 in person looks even worse than on the pictures. For those curious of underside its pretty much 2gen truck with maybe few items in different places but if you curious how it looks like just look under your truck.

Truck looks like somebody slapped cheap body kit on 2gen and called a day.

15. Apr 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM
    imag

Member:
    I see the problem they had. The Gen 2 had already received multiple facelifts, so they had to do something very different to differentiate a "Gen 3" on an updated version of the same platform.

Unfortunately, different in this case meant uglier. It's a shame - I really wanted to like this truck, and I would love to have the updated motor, high strength steel, etc.. I know looks don't matter much in a truck, but it's hard to get excited about plunking money down on something that is poorly styled. Especially when Toyota trucks in general have looked pretty cool over the years.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. Apr 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    jaymac10

jaymac10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    OEM Baja Kit
    Cool story bro. Go buy whatever truck you think looks better then...

17. Apr 12, 2015 at 11:08 AM
    imag

Member:
    Best way ever to identify yourself as a douchebag. Thanks.

18. Apr 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM
    border411

border411 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Now that's funny.

19. Apr 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    FINALLY GOT THE PICS TO WORK! Took some crafty thinking lol some 2016 3rd gen undercarriage pics and the very limited amount of toyota accessories... i kept getting errors with these, finally got em to work to.. sorry, kinda blurry

20ac5tj_786dd6d57e4b83f8201781227abdf46001fc1263.jpg

4jn5w3_3399d00e7be3acab4a9e7907d3aee93468e84c18.jpg

v5a7ue_68c1caaf260b35ee78d5cbc61593eee30cec4f23.jpg

20. Apr 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    imag

Member:
    Nice. Thanks for uploading them.

Products Discussed in

To Top