Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.4l TACO OWNERS UNITE!!!!!....to help me out?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Livin' the taco life
jcemitte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
jcemitte's Tacoma Gallery
2.4l TACO OWNERS UNITE!!!!!....to help me out?

Ok, i've lookied through the forums and cant seem to find a build up or tune up page for a 2.4l tacoma.

what im getting at is my taco (like some of yours im assuming) is extremely under powered. out here in farmland california we all drive a 1,000 mph and with my little taco i get left in the dust by saturns! also it makes it difficult to merge on the the speedway to get to work, seriously its like a life and death situation every morning!

ok so the bottom line. i am looking for more giddy up for merging, and also i want to be spinning less than 3,000 rpms at 80mph as i commute about 50 miles a day minimum. better performance out ways the fuel economy for me tho im still getting 10 mpg better than my last truck.

ive browsed the net a little bit and come up with a shopping list. i was wondering if you guys have tried any of these products and if so, are they worth it.

1. Cold Air Intake.
K&N 77 SERIES HIGH FLOW PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE KIT, POLISHED

2.Throttle Body Spacer
STREET PERFORMANCE HELIX POWER TOWER PLUS THROTTLE BODY SPACER

3.Performance Mass Airflow Sensor
JET CHIPS PERFORMANCE POWR-FLO MASS AIR SENSOR

4.Exhaust - suggestions? the local muffler shop will install a knock off flowmaster for $95 bucks is it actually worth it to go with a more expensive one?

let me know what you think. am i screwed?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think any of the mods you mentioned will do much or any good.

You will have to do something drastic like a turbo or supercharger to get a big boost and I don't know of any bolt on ones for the 2.4l.

I'm am not in a hurry (retired) and am happy with my 2.4l but you might have to trade for a V6 to satisfy your performance objectives.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Im a heavily modified 2.4, nothing you listed provide any gain.. The 2.4 is extremely potent boosted.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Can you do the deck plate mod on the 2.4?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Yessir
Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Yessir
Do that. Rest is a waste of money IMO. I do agree with you that the 2.4 with the auto is underpowered, however, it is also ridiculously reliable.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Valdosta State University
Taco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Orrin
Taco GTR's Tacoma Gallery
yes very underpowered but little mods will do better than intake and stuff. deck plate and the second air filter delete will do well. and sea foam it and clean it really well. mine is a 96. and i went from 12sec 0-60 to 8sec 0-60. *no cmmts from the boosted guys it'll only make me jealous.*
Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I drove a truck identical to mine with an auto and it was an absolute dog! I couldn't believe how much the 5 speed unleashes the 2.4. I have the deck plate in mine and it did help quite a bit. Skip the CAI, spacer, and chip. There are plenty of threads in here of mufflers. You also might want to consider a header.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
check with www.lcengineering.com
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
Livin' the taco life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
vrrrrmmmmpsshhhhhh
wow that is amazingly personified i could hear that noise as i read your post lol
@dully turbo tips?

and whats this deck mod ive been hearing about its not in the mods and tuts section
Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #13
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo tip #1: Prepare to spend a lot of money
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Livin' the taco life

lol well put.

what about efi?

has anyone done a conversion from tbi to efi/

ordered my deck plate today
Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
You are efi.. TBI=throttle body injection. The fuel injectors are into the intake ports of each cylinder
Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Tuuuurrrboooooooooo!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
xsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: AL
xsvtoyz's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...1-29A85179D1F5

9psi merging can be fun!