Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

K&N cold air intake vs. K&N filter

Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
sbr975 is on a distinguished road
sbr975's Tacoma Gallery
K&N cold air intake vs. K&N filter

Hey, i heard a lot about K&N making great cold air intakes and filters. I was wondering if simply replacing my OEM filter in my 2.7l 4c tacoma will make any difference, or would i be better off just buying and installing a whole cold air intake system. Also, I've seen people make their own cold air intake systems. Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Since you are a 1st gen buy just the filter and search deckplate mod. The intake won't help much.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Since you are a 1st gen buy just the filter and search deckplate mod. The intake won't help much.
x2
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've used the K&N drop in filter in several vehicles from v8 full size trucks to 4 cyl Hondas. If they improved performance, I couldn't tell. The CAI or deck plate mod might help, but I have no experience with either one.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
sbr975 is on a distinguished road
sbr975's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoley07 View Post
I have used the K&N drop in filters before in multiple vehicles and never noticed any difference in hp or mpg.

go with the deckplate mod!!
yeah that sounds like the thing to do. Alot cheaper too. Im probably gonna put in the drop in filter anyway just because they "last forever", and i haven't changed my filter in a very long long time. but wait wait. i have a first generation tacoma. a 1996. can i do a deck plate mod?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N intake and I notice a difference on my gen-2. Increased my mileage by about 2 mpg and I it improved my throttle response (it's a manual, so it makes a difference in the shift points). But from what I hear, the deckplate mod is the way to go w/ the gen-1's.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
ky taco
chopper is on a distinguished road

Name: chop
chopper's Tacoma Gallery
The cak made a big difference in mine but it is a newer one
Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I have the K&N drop in and it works well for its intended use...keep my air and box clean.....

I work & park in quarrys and mines so the Taco inhales all of it...since changing to the K&N ...my air box stays clean and the filter gets serviced every 3rd oil change.....