Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Deck plate mod. Here we go.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #81
Balls Deep
Choreboy is on a distinguished road

Choreboy's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered my deck plate and K&N High Flow this morning.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #83
Balls Deep
Choreboy is on a distinguished road

Choreboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
What is the advantage of this mod?
From what I gather it's about the same as adding an aftermarket intake minus the spending $200+
Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #84
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreboy View Post
Just ordered my deck plate and K&N High Flow this morning.
It's a pretty easy mod. If you need anything, just holler.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #85
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
What is the advantage of this mod?
Choreboy is correct.
Basically you are cutting a large hole in your airfilter box to allow more air into the intake with the option of closing it off during river fording ( trust me.....If the water gets high enough to get in here with a 3in lift.....you've got other problems to worry about). or extreme dusty/dirty conditions. The hole is still below the filter so there's not much of a chance of anything getting into the throttle body. The only other thing I see that would benefit this is a strait pipe from the box to the throttle body. Something smoothbore to allow the air to travel faster without the bends.

I also suggest running this system for a day or two without disconnecting your neg ground wire on your battery to see if you can "feel" a bit of difference.
Then after a few days, disconnect your neg grd battery cable for 20mins to let the ECU learn the fuel/air mixture quicker. Hook it back up and go for a test run. Let me know what you think.
This mod realistically is good for maybe 3-7 hp.
I could see that if maybe paired with a set of headers. +7. Maybe 3-5 without.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #86
efmugen will become famous soon enough

efmugen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
As long as he ate breakfast, he's good.
Bingo !
Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #87
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
shit thats funny! needed that today..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post

Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #88
I play with poo.
Marfan1007 is on a distinguished road

Army: 154th RTI OCS
Name: John
Marfan1007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I'm a 3rd shifter. My 7am is your 5pm
Hells yes! When most people are goin to work, I'm just gettin off n crackin open a cold one. Nothin like a lil nightcap @ 7am
Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #89
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I might just be in the minority here, but I've tried both a KN intake system and the airbox mod here, and I actually prefer the stock system. The KN was just louder with worse low RPM performance, and with the deck plate open I consistently get about 3-4 mpg less and worse performance below 5,000. I don't know, guess my particular truck just likes things the way they came from the factory.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #90
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I might just be in the minority here, but I've tried both a KN intake system and the airbox mod here, and I actually prefer the stock system. The KN was just louder with worse low RPM performance, and with the deck plate open I consistently get about 3-4 mpg less and worse performance below 5,000. I don't know, guess my particular truck just likes things the way they came from the factory.
So when your truck gets more air the performance suffers?
Might have a sticking EGR or something wrong in the fuel system to cause your truck to run lean. Getting any codes?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #91
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, no codes and I have a scangauge hooked up and it doesn't have anything in it code wise. I didn't think about the EGR system, I've got 160,000 miles on it and I think it's the original fuel filter still, maybe I should look at replacing that and see if it makes any difference.