1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

diff locker on 4 cyl

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by tacomazach, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Oct 14, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    ExTurbo

ExTurbo Active Member

Member:
    Burlington NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma-2.7
    That un-legible part is supposed to be "I don't know" stupid iPhone keypad

2. Oct 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It's an open diff. The E-LSD uses the brakes to shift power from wheel to wheel.

3. Oct 14, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    ExTurbo

ExTurbo Active Member

Member:
    Burlington NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma-2.7
    That's sad news, but still better than nothing I guess

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Yes your right, his Auto LSD is the computer controlling the braking and throttle response. I found it has worked better then I expected in certain situations...:D

5. Aug 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

All 2009+ Tacos have VSC, TRAC and AUTO LSD. All are OPEN DIFFERENTIALS... the limited slip function is created by spin sensors and the ABS brakes.

VSC is Vehicle Stability Control and keeps you from spinning out-of-control if you oversteer on a slippery road... works real nice!

TRAC is Traction Control:

In 2WD, if one tire begins to spin, both engine output is regulated and the brakes are applied to transfer power to the opposite tire.

If you're stuck (and only have 2WD):

Press the VSC OFF switch quickly to eliminate the engine output regulation (this function is called 'AUTO LSD' by Toyota). This gives a stronger limited slip, like posi-traction.

In 4WD-HIGH, there is no engine regulation... just brakes so the limited slip is stronger all the time, but Toyota calls the function TRAC (and not AUTO LSD) in H4.

To turn off VSC/TRAC/AUTO LSD (for non-controlled spinning of tires): Stop the truck and hold down the VSC OFF switch for a few seconds. It will re-activate if you are about to go out-of-control, or next time you re-start your truck.

6. Aug 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    I went with a detroit trutrac (mechanical LSD) and I switch off my auto lsd. truck runs strong and has not failed me yet.

7. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    The first time I dropped my boat with my brand new Tacoma and tried to pull off the ramp, my tires just spun as I slipped back towards the water's edge. Keep in mind I do have a 5 spd. So, as I begin to think I am about to drop my new truck in the drink, I remember about this ALSD thing I read about in the manual, and when I hit the button, my truck, now with the tires on the water's edge justs crawls up and off the ramp like I was in 4wd low, without any tire slip at all. My heart stop pounding and I was a believer... :D

8. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Someday the skeptics of Toyota's traction systems will believe... someday.

Thanks for your post!

Products Discussed in

To Top