Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder double cab review (Prerunner)

Old 09-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #21
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I think the locker helps quite a bit at getting off the line and pushing the truck forward because the power is distributed to both wheels equally instead of making one wheel do all the work.
I also think it helps with gas miliage because your getting to speed quicker and maintaining that speed.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #22
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I think the locker helps quite a bit at getting off the line and pushing the truck forward because the power is distributed to both wheels equally instead of making one wheel do all the work.
I also think it helps with gas miliage because your getting to speed quicker and maintaining that speed.
I want a locker so bad! when money is right I will be getting one! after I get my tires this will be my next mod for sure

with locker, a 2wd can do so much more
Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #23
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prerunner View Post
I want a locker so bad! when money is right I will be getting one! after I get my tires this will be my next mod for sure

with locker, a 2wd can do so much more
You will love it! especially since you dont have to drive on any snow with it. That's my only concern for this upcoming winter. Although we dont get much snow, I do like to take trips up to NC on the blue ridge parkway in the winter.

Save your money and buy a reputable locker.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #24
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
You will love it! especially since you dont have to drive on any snow with it. That's my only concern for this upcoming winter. Although we dont get much snow, I do like to take trips up to NC on the blue ridge parkway in the winter.

Save your money and buy a reputable locker.
well about the snow...

ill be in kentucky from october to late febuary for the army, so a locker would'nt be a bad idea. this is also the reason for me having to upgrade my tires as well. I think im gonna go with bfg a'ts
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #25
dauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud ofdauange has much to be proud of
dauange's Tacoma Gallery
'01 DC 2.7L Pre-runner

I have an '01 DC 2.7L 4-speed auto Pre-runner and love it. I'll never try to say it is a speed demon but it holds it's own. I never have any issues with merging on the highway or any other times. When I'm pulling a trailer and two quads in West Virginia, I take the hills at 40-45 instead of 55-60 but slow and steady is fine with me. Would it be nice to have a V6 for towing, sure but if you don't plan to tow, then don't worry.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #26
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2001 DC 2.7L prerunner with 3" lift and 265/75 M/T's, deckplate mod and flowmaster and besides a little slow take off it will get going without a problem. its no dog. i tow an 18ft boat with out a problem. i've kept up with all my friends Z71's in the mud without a problem and left them asking how i made it through that and even had to pull out my little brother and his 2002 V6 tacoma TRD with BFG M/T's a few times.
--> someone mentioned putting a locker and it helped with acceleration? is this true and how much did it cost? i wouldnt mind doing that if i could afford it on a college budget...
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #27
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '09 acces cab 2.7 auto. I can't imagine the DC weighing too much more. My truck is a little slow on take off but will run 75 down the interstate with no problem. If I wanted something fast a tacoma wouldn't have been on the list.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
i have a 2001 DC 2.7L prerunner with 3" lift and 265/75 M/T's, deckplate mod and flowmaster and besides a little slow take off it will get going without a problem. its no dog. i tow an 18ft boat with out a problem. i've kept up with all my friends Z71's in the mud without a problem and left them asking how i made it through that and even had to pull out my little brother and his 2002 V6 tacoma TRD with BFG M/T's a few times.
--> someone mentioned putting a locker and it helped with acceleration? is this true and how much did it cost? i wouldnt mind doing that if i could afford it on a college budget...
No locker will NOT help with acceleration. There will be NO difference in acceleration on dry pavement between a truck with open diff & a truck with a locker.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #29
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
No locker will NOT help with acceleration. There will be NO difference in acceleration on dry pavement between a truck with open diff & a truck with a locker.
x2

even an open diff put equal power to tires of equal traction
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Redfish will become famous soon enoughRedfish will become famous soon enough

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the the 2011 double cab prerunner SR5 4cyl for almost two weeks and love it. I was test driving a 6cyl prerunner at one dealer and got in the 4cyl prerunner (not knowing it) at another dealer (sales man was not too sharp on what he was selling) I did not notice much of a difference other than a slight difference in pick up. If I was told it was a 4cyl before going on the test drive I would have passed. The prerunner with SR5 package is almost identical looking to the v6 prerunner minus the fog lights, it also is a 6 lug. I will admit its not the fastest truck but the gas milage makes up for it. I have done 350 miles to the tank on the first fill up and a little more than 400 on my second fill up. I traded in a Ford Sportrac and the Tacoma is by far a better vehicle. The sportrac did an average of 250 miles to the tank which was a gallon larger than the tacoma. When I need to merge into traffic It gets up to speed fast enough for me and the 50mph-70mph passing ability is equal to what the sportrac did. Its no dog. I have diven a few friends around and when I tell them its a 4 banger they dont believe me. I am in Florida so everything is flat here however if I am not going fast enough or slow enough when I come up to an incline on the highway or steep bridge it over revs from time to time but I am learning how to drive the vehicle to avoid that issue. My only negative comment is that it only has front disc brakes with rear drums and a 4 speed(automatic) but I am getting used to the 4 speed. All I tow a 16 foot flats skiff and the vehicle tows equally to the sportrac if not better. I also think the back up camera is foolish. If I need to get somewhere in a hurry I take the commander.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I have had the the 2011 double cab prerunner SR5 4cyl for almost two weeks and love it. I was test driving a 6cyl prerunner at one dealer and got in the 4cyl prerunner (not knowing it) at another dealer (sales man was not too sharp on what he was selling) I did not notice much of a difference other than a slight difference in pick up. If I was told it was a 4cyl before going on the test drive I would have passed. The prerunner with SR5 package is almost identical looking to the v6 prerunner minus the fog lights, it also is a 6 lug. I will admit its not the fastest truck but the gas milage makes up for it. I have done 350 miles to the tank on the first fill up and a little more than 400 on my second fill up. I traded in a Ford Sportrac and the Tacoma is by far a better vehicle. The sportrac did an average of 250 miles to the tank which was a gallon larger than the tacoma. When I need to merge into traffic It gets up to speed fast enough for me and the 50mph-70mph passing ability is equal to what the sportrac did. Its no dog. I have diven a few friends around and when I tell them its a 4 banger they dont believe me. I am in Florida so everything is flat here however if I am not going fast enough or slow enough when I come up to an incline on the highway or steep bridge it over revs from time to time but I am learning how to drive the vehicle to avoid that issue. My only negative comment is that it only has front disc brakes with rear drums and a 4 speed(automatic) but I am getting used to the 4 speed. All I tow a 16 foot flats skiff and the vehicle tows equally to the sportrac if not better. I also think the back up camera is foolish. If I need to get somewhere in a hurry I take the commander.
I also originally thought the backup camera was the stupidest gimmick I had seen. But I got so used to it I now miss it when I drive something else. I helps out with my steep driveway and obsticle course of toys my kids like to leave behind my truck.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #32

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
well the camera came in handy today while in a parking garage. Backed up inches from a BMW M6, I got close enough to make the owner inspect his bumper.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #33
Concord Mike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Concord Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Redfish, I agree. Just got my 2011 Tacoma double with the 2.7l 4. Love it. It can move fast enough for me, and it is much more quiet at highway speed than our CRV. Ride is great, mileage is good. Looks fantastic. Fantastic turning radius and handling.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #34
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I wouldn't think it would get very good mileage because you would have to floor it everywhere just to keep up with traffic.
your sir are right! i have a 2003 DC 4cyl. lol i know yall are talkin about 2nd gens. but trust me if its anything like the 1st gens. you would hate it! the gas milage isnt that great! i would sacrafice it for the v6! no doubt!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #35
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
I cannot understand why it is so difficult for some to grasp the fact that the 170 hp 4 cyl is equal to most any mid 90's V6 pickup. And the 4 cyl gets much better mileage than the V6. I had an 09 Access Cab 4 cyl, which weighs at least as much as the Pre-Runner 2WD. Power was not an issue, except above 75mph. Heck I could tow my 2700# camper at 70 mph in 5th most of the time. And it got 20% better mileage than my V6. I would accelerate the same as my 6 does most of the time, it would rquire an extra 1000 rpms, other than that, no big deal.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #36

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my Tacoma. I just took the badges off.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #38
Noob
evil_umbrellacorp has a spectacular aura aboutevil_umbrellacorp has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
evil_umbrellacorp's Tacoma Gallery
Not the fastest off the line

Mine's not a prerunner, it's an AC SR5. Even with the extra weight of the 4x4 i have no problem keeping up. my truck can haul a load of firewood on hilly roads no prob. And if highway speed is what you worry about, I've pushed my truck to the point where the electronic limiter kicked in, i think i was doing 175 kph (that's about 109 mph). I get 22mpg combined city and highway mileage as long as i'm not pushing it too hard. I've got 265/75r16 BFG ATs on otherwise the truck is stock. Yeah, a V6 would be nice so I could swing some big mudders, but other than that I have no need for it.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #39

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
city driving has been no problem. I have not seen a difference from my sprotrac other than filling up less. 70-90mph is no issue however I try not to exceed 75mph for safety and fuel mileage concerns. I am very happy with this truck with both its appearance and performance. I hope it lasts.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
Concord Mike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Concord Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my first fill up on my new 2011 Prerunner Double Cab 2x2 2.7 A/T. Got 19.5 MPG almost all city stop-go. Will be taking a 400 mile road trip in two weeks. Will let you know what mileage I get on the highway. I am very pleased with this truck. Acceleration is fine and it is very quiet in the cab. Sound system is wonderful. Rear seat legroom and headroom are very good.