1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 cylinder double cab review (Prerunner)

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by hwork50, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Dec 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Ninja14

Ninja14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD OffRoad - 96 4runner 4x4

I wonder why they dont think we would buy the diesel here

2. Dec 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    johnanm

johnanm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 2.7L Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    Ok so I've had this truck for 4 months now, the only time it really feels slow/weak is with a full cab of folks and a load in the back. I have the Auto trans, and 4th gear (OD) lacks any reserve torque with that kind of load. With anything less than a full load, it works great, pulls well, and if I need to haul ass I just rev it with confidence. That's how you treat a 4 cyl. Seeing as I almost never drive with more than one passenger, it's perfect for me.

By the way, I'm 24. My other vehicle tops out at Mach 1.3, so I might know a little something about power/speed. If you don't tow and think the 4 cyl is not enough power for you, you have compensation issues!

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    martya

martya New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 Pre-Runner TRD
    Same experience here. 4 months. Goose it and it works great. With full load on hills, need to move from D to 3 on automatic (quick sideways flick), but now that engine is breaking in, revs fine.

My other vehicles do 0-60 in 4-6 seconds, but this is truck, and gas mileage still in mid 20's with load, so very happy here....because if I get bored, I take my bike out of the back of the truck and twist my wrist.

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    MidnightSun

MidnightSun Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner Double Cab
    :thumbsup:

I wish they would bring the turbo diesel to the States. I'd definitely buy one!!!

+1

I think most of us have other faster vehicles to play with:D

5. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Jeepman5112

Jeepman5112 Member

Member:
    Goldsboro nc
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    None, for now
    Just bought an sr5 perrunner in October with a 4 banger. I too was a bit concerned but after driving it for two months I really am glad I bought it. Great all around truck.
    Really can't add anything the other guys haven't already touched on.
    I'm averaging about 19-20 but mine is short trips and in town driving.
    Love my Tacoma!!!

6. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    johnanm

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    When in town I seem to get right around 20 no matter what I do. I guess that part is nice, knowing that's the worst I can expect unlike our 4.0L brethren. I came from a mazda3 so I couldn't bear to dip below the 20's!

7. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    pancho

pancho Go home Nubbs, street lights are off!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    Black out emblems. TRD Pro grille.
    Mine is a 2nd Gen double cab 4 banger :) I love it for MPG. It does its job :)

8. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    johnanm

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    We have twins :)

9. Dec 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    Shanebeee

Shanebeee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4 cyl
    I just drove one off the lot yesterday, brand new 2012. I thought it was gonna lack power because i came from a camaro, it doesnt have as much torque but it doesnt lack power and cruises a 80 no problem

10. Dec 30, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Shanebeee

Shanebeee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4 cyl
    [​IMG] This is her

11. Dec 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Nope, looks like a 5-lugger. Still a nice looking truck!

Had Toyota offered a 4-banger version of the Double Cab, I would still have bought the 6-cyl. Can't put a supercharger on a 2.7!

12. Dec 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    johnanm

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    Yes you can. URD sells one.
    http://www.urdusa.com/p1260519050/U...coma-2.7L-2TR-FE-4-Cylinder/product_info.html

More for the review on the DC, took first trip after installing 5100s up front at 1.75". 24.4 mpg, which was better than I had been getting by about 1 mpg. I did not expect it to increase, so I'm pleasantly surprised. There's a HUGE difference in my mind between 22 and 24 mpg. I was getting worried about my truck for awhile because I have been hanging around 22.5 highway, but after my first oil change she seems to be breaking in nicely. Very refined engine, torque is even across the whole power band. Very fun to drive even climbing up the mountains. Not a dog even with passenger and gear. 5100s are great for cornering btw. The stiffness really helps with handling, while retaining a smooth highway ride. I literally can't wait to drive my truck up these hills again tomorrow! :)

13. Dec 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    pancho

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    twinsies :) did you take mud flaps off yet?

think that's what I'm going to do. Some reason today I heard rubbing when i was making a couple turns that I usually do all the time. maybe the speed I was going but still :/

14. Dec 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    johnanm

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    I took mine off, sold them on eBay for $170 :eek:, bought 4 of the Husky mud flaps from the group buy for $60 shipped, and am loving them. Much better material and the perfect balance of length for ground clearance and body protection. I suggest you do the same!

Edit: you can see them on my truck in the second and third pics here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/12570-4-banger-pics-56.html#post4275933

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Dec 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    pancho

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    oh man I might just do that. How much was for your 5100s? 170? seriously how? haha

16. Dec 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    johnanm

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    I bought the 5100s through downsouthmotorsports, they have a thread on here and have a TW members discount for about $10 off. I installed them myself, only needed to rental pair of strut spring compressors from Advance Auto Parts (deposit refunded on return, so they are free to use) and I got an alignment done afterward for $40. The shocks themselves were about $172 shipped, so I got away for a little over $200.

The mud flaps are a little mysterious to me how they sold so high. I've been watching ebay and both the 4x4 and prerunner flaps go for anywhere from 100 to 180 for a complete set. It all depends on timing and how many people want them at a given moment. I hit a high point I guess. I ended up selling them to a guy in Puerto Rico, but shipping wasn't any more than continental US so I lucked out. Be sure to include US territories in your shipping options if you look to sell, because maybe that's why I was able to get a little more than usual for them. But seriously, sell them ad get the Huskys. They are better and you can spend the $100 you make on the difference to do some cool mods and not feel guilty at all. I used the money for my bed mat and 4 extra D-rings and I feel super smart from it all :cool:

17. Jan 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    johnanm

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    Hey liteguide, sorry about your mileage dropping. You've been the MPG king for the DC Prerunner for a long time now, so maybe that's finally catching up with you ;) In all seriousness, your truck has seemed like it has super mpg powers and it has been frustrating me because mine were lower! About the 5100s and TSB, Toyota will probably decline installing the shocks for you, esp since they are not Toyota parts, but if you install them yourself beforehand you can still benefit from the free TSB alignment. Just make sure they know to do the alignment, my dealer forgot and I had to bring it in the next day.

About my fuel economy...
    Truck when stock: had three tanks before the TSB. 19, 21, and 22.5. I believe the first few were due to engine break-in and a heavy foot.

After TSB, no tonneau: ~23 hwy

TSB with tonneau added: Still ~23, but better on average. Your cover is probably more effective at reducing resistance because mine is soft cloth and buffets slightly at highway speed. I also added the Husky mud flaps around this time, but the difference is negligible. In fact, they extend ever so slightly outside the body, maybe a half inch more than the stock flaps. So if anything they are contributing to drag.

After 5000 mile oil change: high 23s on hwy. (I was very vocal to the dealership about making sure they put synthetic in there, and I had already been there for the TSB and my steering wheel leather issue, so they knew that I care about my truck too. Really sorry yours gave you the runaround.)

Fast forward to this past week, put the 5100s on and the first and only trip so far in that configuration has been from Birmingham AL to Gatlinburg TN. I did not expect the 24.5 mpg, but the evidence is there. I really want to see what kind of mileage I get on the way back, and I hope that last measurement was not a fluke. I'm kinda worried that the place I filled up at had a faster cutoff than when I left, but I'll get another long distance set of data tomorrow and we'll see. I was on non-ethanol fuel on the way up here, so I expect this next tank's mpg to be less anyway because there is ethanol in it now :(

Thanks for the kind words about my truck! I think that I am just about done with mods for the time being. It's great to be breaking in the new year with a finished truck. Fingers crossed about the mpg though, I'll report back here when I can say for sure.

--------------------------------

More to report for the OP review: Truck handles the mountains well, the 5100s and TSB leaf springs make the handling on the switchbacks easy and confident. I went over Newfound Gap Road (crosses over the Great Smoky Mtns, 5000 ft climb/descent) with three passengers with me and I had plenty of reserve power and never exceeded 4000 RPM. I was truly impressed. The larger Prerunner brakes are also excellent for going down the other side as well. I love this truck more and more each time I put it to the test.

18. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Remember this is a great, iron block 4 cyl. I read the blueprints or design of the 2.7L and Toyota's 3.0 diesel are simular. Both are great proven motors. I love my truck, although not a DBL Cab 4cyl, I probably would have considered one had it been available, but I feel the Toyota 4cyl and 5 spd tranny is a classic combo that has worked for many years and is hard to beat. The auto could have been the deal breaker for me, but then again, I can not say so until I drive one.

19. Jan 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    ToyoTaco02

ToyoTaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Decatur,IL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DC 2.7L
    OME 881 1/4" top plate spacer OME Dakars OME Nitrochargers Light Racing UCA
    2002 Prerunner 148k miles. The 2.7L is a great engine. It needs a downshift for some inclines but other than that I wouldn't trade the truck for anything.

uploadfromtaptalk1326082448821.jpg

20. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    Taco3RZe

Taco3RZe Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5 4cyl.
    Nice truck! I totaly agree with this. I love my 2003 4cyl Double Cab. It currenly has 161k miles and runs very strong. It has more than enough power for me. The engine is relatively easy to maintain, and has a maintenance-free timing chain, that does not need replacement every 90k miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top