Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder double cab review (Prerunner)

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #81
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Remember this is a great, iron block 4 cyl. I read the blueprints or design of the 2.7L and Toyota's 3.0 diesel are simular. Both are great proven motors. I love my truck, although not a DBL Cab 4cyl, I probably would have considered one had it been available, but I feel the Toyota 4cyl and 5 spd tranny is a classic combo that has worked for many years and is hard to beat. The auto could have been the deal breaker for me, but then again, I can not say so until I drive one.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #82
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanm View Post
Hey liteguide, sorry about your mileage dropping. You've been the MPG king for the DC Prerunner for a long time now, so maybe that's finally catching up with you In all seriousness, your truck has seemed like it has super mpg powers and it has been frustrating me because mine were lower! About the 5100s and TSB, Toyota will probably decline installing the shocks for you, esp since they are not Toyota parts, but if you install them yourself beforehand you can still benefit from the free TSB alignment. Just make sure they know to do the alignment, my dealer forgot and I had to bring it in the next day.
Too funny!

I'm not sure what caused mileage to drop, I still suspect toyota dealership could have skipped the synthetic at the 10k oil change (my receipt said non synthetic but they argued it was paperwork typo...), who knows. All things considered 24mpg is better than I ever expected. Maybe it's the winter blend so many have talked about. Have not changed anything with driving, the "super power" 26 mpg was a treat while it lasted This is Chicago so I'll wait and see if it goes back up... However, I'm going to take it for 15k oil change at 14k and make sure I take it different dealer.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #83
ToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoTaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ToyoTaco02's Tacoma Gallery
2002 Prerunner 148k miles. The 2.7L is a great engine. It needs a downshift for some inclines but other than that I wouldn't trade the truck for anything.
Attached Thumbnails
4 cylinder double cab review (Prerunner)-uploadfromtaptalk1326082448821.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #84
Taco3RZe is on a distinguished road
Taco3RZe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco02 View Post
2002 Prerunner 148k miles. The 2.7L is a great engine. It needs a downshift for some inclines but other than that I wouldn't trade the truck for anything.
Nice truck! I totaly agree with this. I love my 2003 4cyl Double Cab. It currenly has 161k miles and runs very strong. It has more than enough power for me. The engine is relatively easy to maintain, and has a maintenance-free timing chain, that does not need replacement every 90k miles.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #85
Silvatacoma is on a distinguished road
Silvatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a 2012 double cab 4 cylinder sr5 prerunner. Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that they look a lot lower than the v6 prerunners? (yes mines is 6 lug)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #86
Jeepman5112 is on a distinguished road
Jeepman5112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvatacoma View Post
I just picked up a 2012 double cab 4 cylinder sr5 prerunner. Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that they look a lot lower than the v6 prerunners? (yes mines is 6 lug)
I have a 2012 and haven't noticed the difference. Mine sits as high as the 4x4
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #87
Thanks Jeepman. Are you still running the stock 245 dunlop tires? If so (when you have time) can you please take some hight measurements so I can compare? Here's my truck, I know it's lower than the trd prerunners because I parked next to one and I could immediately tell the difference. Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #88
Quote:
Thanks Jeepman. Are you still running the stock 245 dunlop tires? If so (when you have time) can you please take some hight measurements so I can compare? Here's my truck, I know it's lower than the trd prerunners because I parked next to one and I could immediately tell the difference. Thanks!!
I'm not running the Dunlops, dealer changed to Michelins. I was unable to keep the Dunlops balanced. Same size tire.
I did measure and from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare it's 7.5 inches on the back wheel.
Changing out to Michelins made a huge difference in ride. The tires look better with addition width.
The ride height did not change with the Michelins
In addition, when I test drove my truck it was parked next to a 4x4 and it couldn't tell the difference
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #89
JPR21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Joe
JPR21's Tacoma Gallery
12' Gray Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab/4 Cyl.

Just got this sucker a week ago, I love it!!! Great on fuel and will not steer you wrong at all (no pun intended... err I take the pun back because that is also true) It came with the convenience package i.e. cruise control, manual rear sliding window, keyless entry, and window rea window tint. I haven't had a chance to post tpic yet but will do so once I get a chance. So far I put some 16" MB Wheels Chaos Black 6 rims on it and am impressed.

Besides my review, I do have one question while I am at it. Anyone think I got a good deal for my "Taco" if I paid $25,000? I probably could have got a WAAAAYYYY better deal in San Antonio instead of San Angelo through USAA, but I was too antsy at the time to pass it up. I will definitely be getting a Camry there!

-Joe
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #90
JPR21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Joe
JPR21's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Silvatacoma

To piggy back off of your question, the rims I just put on my vehicle make it look a lot taller than it is because of the black/silver complementing the Gray paint job on the truck. I had to take those silver ones immediately, they made the tires seem too small and did not look good at all with the truck color. Again, I will post a pic soon!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR21 View Post
Hey Silvatacoma

To piggy back off of your question, the rims I just put on my vehicle make it look a lot taller than it is because of the black/silver complementing the Gray paint job on the truck. I had to take those silver ones immediately, they made the tires seem too small and did not look good at all with the truck color. Again, I will post a pic soon!
Thanks for the info. What does your back measure from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender? Mines is only 21 & a quarter.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #92
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Dude that looks about the same as v6 prerunners to me. Maybe you're seeing TRD packages and the bilsteins are making them ride a little higher
Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #93
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Solution about $300

Quote:
Take it to the dealer and explain you have a harsh ride going over tracks or bumps with a load. Be politely persuasive about the 4th leaf TSB and have them authorize.

The TSB will include a 1" lift on the bed, you will need to purchase a set of adjustable front Bilstein shocks through the forum (think they're around $175 for the pair).

As long as you are within warranty period the $2,000 TSB will cost you zero, it will include removal of the three leaf packs, replace with 4h leaf leaf springs, replacement rear shocks and a complete alignment.

I have not had this done. However, it was authorized for my truck (in writing) by the dealer just as long as its within the 3/36. I did purchase the adjustable billsteins in preparation for the day of install, i asked the dealer if they can install customer provided shocks, although not in those words and he said sure, well get"em on and work it out since the Alignment is covered by the TSB. The front shocks will prevent a 1" rake (post TSB) and level the truck.

So for the cost of the front bilsteins and the time for dealer to bolt them on would be somewhere around $300

I have all my stuff ready to go but am enjoying some awesome mileage and the soft ride of the truck, I'll probably do it just before the truck hits 36,000 miles one year from now.

I'm happy with the way it sits and rides now, although for different hauling reasons I will follow through with the TSB. Here is what it looks like now.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #94
Thanks for the help guys. I'm interested in getting some measurements when you have time. I always had lifted 4wd toyotas so I think it's probably just me... Haha
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #95
MBTacoma12 is on a distinguished road
MBTacoma12's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to Toyota.com and look at the specs
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #96
DBurns is on a distinguished road
DBurns's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a new 2012 Double Cab PreRunner last week with the 4cyl. I was a little worried about it having enough power but it does just fine for what I need. I love it! It's a big step down from the F-150 with the 5.4 v8 I had before, but that truck got 13mpg EMPTY! I'm very happy with my new purchase!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #97
I like the wheels! Is that aftermarket?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurns View Post
I just bought a new 2012 Double Cab PreRunner last week with the 4cyl. I was a little worried about it having enough power but it does just fine for what I need. I love it! It's a big step down from the F-150 with the 5.4 v8 I had before, but that truck got 13mpg EMPTY! I'm very happy with my new purchase!

I have 18k on my truck and really love it!
And it's not slow like a lot of folks say.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #99
DBurns is on a distinguished road
DBurns's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! No, that's what came on the truck. Window sticker says 16 inch alloy wheel upgrade but they don't have the Toyota logo or anything, which is fine by me! Different than any other wheels I've seen on the Tacomas. I pulled my trailer with my mower on it this morning with no trouble.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurns View Post
Thanks! No, that's what came on the truck. Window sticker says 16 inch alloy wheel upgrade but they don't have the Toyota logo or anything, which is fine by me! Different than any other wheels I've seen on the Tacomas. I pulled my trailer with my mower on it this morning with no trouble.
It's a great little engine for light towing. I wouldnt try to tow a boat with any size to it but all in all, a great truck with bettermpg than the v6