Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder double cab review (Prerunner)

Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
hwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant future
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
4 cylinder double cab review (Prerunner)

If you have purchased a double cab with a 4 cylinder I would love to read a review by the owner. If it is a prerunner that would be ideal but just wondering if any you 4 cylinder guys out there got one or no someone who has one.

Brent
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen or 2nd gen???
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
1st gen or 2nd gen???
has to be first since that was never offered in the 2nd gens.

From what I've heard, they are dogs. I have not driven one though.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

They have them for 2011 they will be dogs as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
They have them for 2011 they will be dogs as well.
really? Thats going to be even worse. I can't imagine having a 4 door 2nd gen powered by a little 4 cylinder.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
ill find a pic
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
hwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant future
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen. as I saw one in Mammoth Ca. this week and it looked really strange with the big ole fenders on it. In addition, it was all low and was not Prerunner'd at all. Just wondering what people though it they have driven one.

I am ok with it being a dog as I get great gas mileage with my little 4cylinder Prerunner AC. I would like a little more space even just a third seat in the AC would be fine, but I think it would be too much work.

Brent
Old 08-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwork50 View Post
2nd gen. as I saw one in Mammoth Ca. this week and it looked really strange with the big ole fenders on it. In addition, it was all low and was not Prerunner'd at all. Just wondering what people though it they have driven one.

I am ok with it being a dog as I get great gas mileage with my little 4cylinder Prerunner AC. I would like a little more space even just a third seat in the AC would be fine, but I think it would be too much work.

Brent
I wouldn't think it would get very good mileage because you would have to floor it everywhere just to keep up with traffic.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

i think they offer it this year. 1st gen 4 bangers on came in only a 5 speed (i believe)
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Machine gun shits

Quote:
I wouldn't think it would get very good mileage because you would have to floor it everywhere just to keep up with traffic.
x2. my 02 xcab 4x4 4banger was so slow my wife would goof on it you had to hammer it to get it going
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
i think they offer it this year. 1st gen 4 bangers on came in only a 5 speed (i believe)
yeah, I know there are a few 1st gen 4 cyl double cab guys on here. Im pretty sure all 1st gen double cabs were autos though.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Machine gun shits

Quote:
yeah, I know there are a few 1st gen 4 cyl double cab guys on here. Im pretty sure all 1st gen double cabs were autos though.
you could only get a d/c 5speed in a 2wd 4 banger. im almost positive.ive only seen a handfull on egay.ill research and chime back. maybe look on egay and see if any are on there
Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
you could only get a d/c 5speed in a 2wd 4 banger. im almost positive.ive only seen a handfull on egay.ill research and chime back. maybe look on egay and see if any are on there
Wow, must be a rare package. Im glad they did that though because having that 4 door 4cyl with an auto would be absolutely horrible.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Machine gun shits

Quote:
Wow, must be a rare package. Im glad they did that though because having that 4 door 4cyl with an auto would be absolutely horrible.
really rare cuz who would really want that. i just checked egay and nothing. it took my friend 8 months to find a dealer who would order him a 2000 4runner in 2wd 4 banger 5 speed. no one wanted to be bothered. i forgot how long it took to build and get.he wanted that combo to slam it.it was the 2nd 4runner in that body to be slammed(1st was west coast customs)in this country
Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
tucsontoytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
tucsontoytaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got one

It's an '01 Prerunner Double Cab 2.7 A/T. No bells, no whistles, all stock. Yeah, it's kinda a dog off the line, but once it gets going (if you can call it that) she'll fly along pretty good. If you're nice to her, you can get low 20's in city/hiway driving. She'll haul all kinds of stuff, tho. Brought home my 2 bay Matco box w/hutch in the bed (tailgate closed, too - barely). Dragged a 90-something Cherokee across town without breaking a sweat. Hauled an old upright piano for my sister (even had a flat tire - the truck, not my sister!). Got it from my parents when they wanted to "upgrade" to a Ram 1500. They call it the sissy truck, but I haul stuff in it they wouldn't put in theirs. They might be pretty rare in this combo. Around town, most of the double cab prerunners I see are V6. Wonder if Toyota has any hard statistics on this?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwork50 View Post
If you have purchased a double cab with a 4 cylinder I would love to read a review by the owner. If it is a prerunner that would be ideal but just wondering if any you 4 cylinder guys out there got one or no someone who has one.

Brent
there is a thread I posted about my taco in the 1st gen section- I have a 1st gen Dcab 4 banger TRD, as well as a few others on here.

yes 1st gen Dcabs are auto's unless tranny swapped

yes its slow off the line, but moves fine for me. what do I need to speed for? I haul plenty. and pull a 16ft flats boat no problem. this truck is a tank, if you find one good price, buy it, especially if it has the TRD package like mine. (no locker but upgraded suspension and alloys) they are hard to find

I will be upgrading to bfg a/t's soon, 265/75/16 and my fenders are also being painted flat black.

heres a pick of it how it is now

any questions just ask

Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #18
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Quote:
not from factory. must have been swapped
Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
what he^ said.
I dont even really consider mine a dog. It come's off the line pretty good, maintains speed well, hauls a 420 lb motorcycle just fine and I get 22mpg all day long on the highway with 3 inches of lift and a full time locker.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #20

Army:
Quote:
1st gen Dcab 4 banger is not so bad at all

the new 2011 2nd gen Dcab 4 banger.. now thats a different story..