Notices

Fat Bob's or...?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Grim is on a distinguished road

Army: Avionics & Armorer Co. G 104th AVN
Name: Will
Grim's Tacoma Gallery
Fat Bob's or...?

With looking around, at all the leveling kits around, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on.

is 2.5" the preferred level kit? I've seen 2" and others and what I'm wondering is if 2.5" is preferred, is a diff drop required? It seems like the Fat Bob 2.5" kit is wicked simple, just wanted to make sure 2.5" is what I would need and that by adding this the ass end won't "droop", cause no one likes a droopy ass.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to assume Fat Bob's is a spacer lift without looking. Save a few more pennies and grab yourself a set of 5100s, you'll have a much better experience than with spacers. Do you have the TSB done for the rear leafs?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #3

Grim's Tacoma Gallery
I had no idea there was a TSB out on the leafs, from my understanding after a quick search it applies to trucks with 3 leafs vs. 4? I have to go count what I have.

Not sure if the pic came through or not, http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/toyot...010-p3910.aspx
but the level kit attaches to the upper of the strut adding 2.5" at the connection points.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #4

Grim's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't been able to really locate any TSB's applicable to the 2010. There is 1 TSB for floormats, and 5 recalls. 2 ended 2/5/10, 1 is for the gas pedal sticking issue, and 2 are for labels.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I assume you have 5lugger Taco. That's how it seems from your profile.

I would suggest Fat Bob's leveling kit with AAL's Than adding longer Billstein shocks in the rear.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #6

Grim's Tacoma Gallery
6 lug, 2010 reg cab 4cyl 5spd 4x4. ok, well, with adding shocks and AALs, would it just be a more efficient route to go with Billy's all the way around? I've been reading the 5100's are adjustable in the front, so if I do them all around, would AALs still be needed? Sorry, a bit new to trucks and all the acronyms used on here. Used to be a Ford mechanic, car side, so i know my way around a wrench, but when it comes to lifts, yeah, I'm a noob. Thanks for your help
Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
I have a brand new set of 2.5" spacers I'm selling in the BST thread linked below this post for half what you are about to spend.

I weighed my options back and forth and wound up going with Billys in the front, and AAL in the back. Its all about what works best for you. I decided that since I was getting the lift 100% for function I wanted to have the Billys. If you are just doing it for looks or will only be seeing light off road driving then the spacers are way cheaper and easier to install. There is a lot of back and forth about safety with spacers, but at the end of the day some dealers install them as "factory equipment".
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #8

Grim's Tacoma Gallery
I would say as of now it'd be for looks, but I would also like functionality. We have a cabin up near State College, PA and some of the mountain roads are rough. Not saying that the spacer wouldn't work, I'd just want to make sure that I wouldn't have any issues. So if Billy's in the front and AAL in the rear would get me the best all around performance and street-ability, then that sounds like the best option... unless I'm on

I appreciate your help, wicked nice of ya!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
That's how we roll around here.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 2.25 lift from fat bobs and have had zero issues only thing i have noticed is when it is super windy i feel like the steering ''floats'' but im talking a Gusty day we dont get many of those here in houston but thats my only complaint.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #11

Grim's Tacoma Gallery
hmm, ok. I was just curious if anyone really had any issues with them. I'm almost liking the idea of Billy's up front for now and maybe an AAL in the next few months. I have read alot about the TSB thing, but it seems that the '10s aren't eligible I haven't had any substantial weight in the back, just a few kayaks and a beagle. The ride doesn't seem rough at all, but I will have to add some weight to see. Are the '10s eligible for the TSB or have they corrected those issues?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
Keep us updated on what you do with the lift. I have the same truck as you and am debating on which way to go also. Ironically I was also a mechanic on the car side of Ford but am not familiar with the lifts. Any pics would be greatly appreciated. I'm kicking around the Bilstein 5100's all-around but from what I read on here, the front gives you more lift than the rear. Right now my truck seems to sit pretty level. Also, did you ever get a response regarding the drop for the rear end?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #13

Grim's Tacoma Gallery
I sure will keep an update going, I have some feelers out there for pricing from some friends that get wicked deals and pass the savings along. Yeah, from my understanding, the fronts are the only ones that adjust, the rear do not but offer longer travel. At least that's what I gather. Mine seems to sit pretty level as well, just wanted to get the front a bit higher, seems like the clearance is a bit on the low side to me. No, never got any response for the diff drop. I am going to go out on a limb and say that if there is no height adjustment to the rear, then there is no call for a drop to the diff. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that. I'm hoping to get pricing back today, and will keep this updated with what I find and will post pics if/when I get these installed. Thanks!