Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Flowmaster Super 40 Duals. Bad idea?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Flowmaster Super 40 Duals. Bad idea?

I wanna get a flowmaster super 40 muffler with duals pipes out the rear sides. Is this a bad idea with my 4 banger? Or should I just do it? I love the sound but I'm worried about the hp loss.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
elevatedfun is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
elevatedfun's Tacoma Gallery
Also something to look into... Heard that running duals sometimes causes you to have to remove your spare tire? Not sure if it is true or not but if its true, no matter if your truck sounds good, you'll be S.O.L. on the side of the road without a spare.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I wanna get a flowmaster super 40 muffler with duals pipes out the rear sides. Is this a bad idea with my 4 banger? Or should I just do it? I love the sound but I'm worried about the hp loss.
You have ONE cylinder bank, you don't need duals. Cut out the stock muffler and replace it with flowmaster, that will yeild hp gain and nice sound and it wont break your wallet.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Natemx is on a distinguished road
Natemx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
You have ONE cylinder bank, you don't need duals.

My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10taco4x4 View Post
grow up and buy a v-6
And when you grow up, be sure to buy a manual.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
davidsdad will become famous soon enough

Name: Dave
davidsdad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10taco4x4 View Post
grow up and buy a v-6

I don't think he is talking about "true duals" single into "Y" pipe!!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdad View Post
I don't think he is talking about "true duals" single into "Y" pipe!!
Its still pointless.

- will not add hp, might actually cause loss of HP if done poorly
- added weight will hurt performance

The ONLY benefit of this will be looks... I guess to each his own *shrug*
Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think its "HP" he will lose, i think its the torque that he will ultimately lose. Too free flowing of an exhaust, from my experience, really kills low end up you feel a lot of top end. But honestly no one drives high rpm's so freeing it up this much is pointless.

Not only losing performance but it would probably sound like butt!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
And when you grow up, be sure to buy a manual.
Five speed bud.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
here are a few pictures of my setup.
Is that just a flat outlet straight from the stock muffler?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Personally I think duals look gay on any truck but as others have said you have a 4 banger so why would you need them?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Is that just a flat outlet straight from the stock muffler?
yep. i dropped my spare and he ran it straight back he cut out the factory can and welded the 40 in there it sounds deep on idle and turns nicely when the rpm's start to climb i love it. duals would def be to much for the 2.7. and to the one who said grow up and get the v6 i lol at that. i get just shy of 25 mpg on the highway with my 4cyl and its not even broken in yet. theres no need for it unless you are going to tow something or need the four doors. i have had many trucks but this one is my favorite probably ever
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedfun View Post
Also something to look into... Heard that running duals sometimes causes you to have to remove your spare tire? Not sure if it is true or not but if its true, no matter if your truck sounds good, you'll be S.O.L. on the side of the road without a spare.
I have the Flow 40 with duals "Y" setup right out the back. You will have to get tricky with your piping to accommodate the spare tire but it can be easily done with someone who knows what they are doing. Looks/sounds great
Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #18
Young Gun
MLB YOTA has a spectacular aura aboutMLB YOTA has a spectacular aura about

Name: Marshall
MLB YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy put a Magnaflow muffler single in dual out on his 2.7, made it sound as quiet as stock exhaust. If your looking for noise stay away from dual exhaust on a 4 banger. Not unless you run straight pipes .
Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatedfun View Post
Also something to look into... Heard that running duals sometimes causes you to have to remove your spare tire?.
No..... I have flowmaster dual outlet on the sides and my spare tire is still in place.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
Tdup is on a distinguished road

Name: Trey
Tdup's Tacoma Gallery
Duals are for V-8s. Not 6cyl, 5cyl, or 4cyl. Spend money on a header and remove 2nd cat. Just my $0.02