Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #41
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
that size and 4.10 youl l be fine. if you really want to regear than 4.30 for 32's would work well

are you sure you have 4.10 right now....is yours a 5 lug or 6 lug?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #42
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
fat tires

6 lug, just going by what chris4x4 said--think i'll check with the dealer to be sure.lunch is over.back to work.

later tig1
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #43
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
FWIW, I dont think anyone ever said it wouldnt "WOrk", but re gearing makes the truck work Better.

I'm with you on that one Chris i just put on these bad boys 33"x12.5"x15's and I want to re gear It just feels like I'm in 2nd if I take off from a hill flat ground is okay but I'm still going to re gear some time soon.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #44
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ALso depends on what kind of 32 you go with. I went with a mud terrain 43 and was pretty heavy and yes i wanted to regear. If you go with a lighter all terrain the rotational mass might not be too bad but once you get to 33 is think its mandatory to regear! Im torn still between 4.56 or 4.88
Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #45
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig1 View Post
6 lug, just going by what chris4x4 said--think i'll check with the dealer to be sure.lunch is over.back to work.

later tig1
Dont bother asking the dealer you have a 4:10 along with me. The dealer will take forever to figure it out then ask or tell you a 4 cylinder prerunner doesnt exist lol i get it all the time
Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #46
ryber will become famous soon enoughryber will become famous soon enough

Name: Ryan
ryber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
ALso depends on what kind of 32 you go with. I went with a mud terrain 43 and was pretty heavy and yes i wanted to regear. If you go with a lighter all terrain the rotational mass might not be too bad but once you get to 33 is think its mandatory to regear! Im torn still between 4.56 or 4.88
4:88
Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #47
Almost there

Ryan you are one of the main resons why my mind isnt made up haha
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #48
ryber will become famous soon enoughryber will become famous soon enough

Name: Ryan
ryber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ryan you are one of the main resons why my mind isnt made up haha
Haha!! sorry.. Very anxious to see what you decide on.. although a down side to 4:88 over 4:56, dropping a tire size back to 32 if you ever decided to in the future wont be as dramatic.. That is if you ever wanted to
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #49
Almost there

if anything id go to 35's lol man decisions are very tough!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #50
tig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtig1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
tig1's Tacoma Gallery
fat tires

sounds right about the dealer ,getting my n fabs this week i'll check with ultimate offroad whose ordering them.he has a cool taco all done up.

later tig1
Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #51
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dont bother asking the dealer you have a 4:10 along with me. The dealer will take forever to figure it out then ask or tell you a 4 cylinder prerunner doesnt exist lol i get it all the time
a 4 cylinder prerunner? That exists?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #52
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Oh I thought I changed my sig a long time ago. I was asking $40 for it on Craigslist. Nobody wanted to buy it LOL.

Wish I would have got this earlier. Thanks for the offer! I decided to try using the instructions ICON provided, instead of the sticky way. Their way is disconnecting the tie rod link instead of the UCA joint, which made more sense to me and possibly easier. Unfortuantly you still have to pop out a taper joint just like the UCA.

I even went and bought a big ass hammer to smack the crap out of the joint and a prybar for pushing the suspension down a hair if needed.

I beat the ever loving shit out of the end link and it never budged, not even a hair. I was hitting it so hard I was afraid I would break the joint and or bend the steering rod, so I put the crap back together and said fug it. And yes I took the pin out and loosened the nut LOL. And it was all soaked with liqued wrench, along with all the other nuts.

It seems like something you shouldn't need a sledge hammer to pop it out but maybe it does. I thought about backing the nut off till it was flush with the end of the bolt, thinking it might pop loose easier, since I would be hitting directly in line with the bolt/hole instead of offset a little but since it didn't budge by hitting the end of the rod, I figured it would still not budge even by hitting it that way.

If it wasn't for the taper joint being such a bitch, I would have them in by now. I have an appointment for first thing Monday morning. I had a guy install springs when I had my 350Z and he does good work, so I'll let his shop beat the piss out of my truck LOL. I've had these coilovers and my shocks sitting in my living room for 2 weeks and I just want the coilovers in now.

The shocks were really easy to install, even when I snapped the tip of one of the factory shocks off trying to break the top nut loose. Vise grips rule!
all this time to type and still no pics.... C'Mon Man
Old 10-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #54
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
It was raining all weekend, so no pics. I don't have a computer at home anymore anyway. If I go out of town Saturday, I can put some up then.

I did take it out muddin Sunday. Went throught mud just fine. I really can't tell any loss of power between these 305's and the 265's (32') I had before.

Doesnt look much different than my gallary pics.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #55
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to see a clearance pic for the body mount. Do the regular cabs have different shaped mounts?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #56
Almost there

hey Chad have you gone through a tank of gas yet?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #57
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
I don't keep track of mileage. It gets low I put gas in it.

I will take pics at full lock and a little less than full lock and with the wheels straight ahead on flat ground so you can see the body mount clearance. When I went muddin, I only heard it hit plastic once. I'm pretty sure I never hit the body mount but haven't looked yet.

Keep in mind too, that I still have the stock UCA's, so my castor keeps the front tires more foreward than those with aftermarket UCA's, so my tires will be further away from the body mount than those with better alignments (aftermarket UCA's).
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #58
Almost there

Can you maybe keep track on the next tank for everyone here on TW with a 4 banger afraid of big tires! Reset odometer, when you fill up divide miles (after correcting for larger diameter) by amount put in! We would all really appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #59

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you maybe keep track on the next tank for everyone here on TW with a 4 banger afraid of big tires! Reset odometer, when you fill up divide miles (after correcting for larger diameter) by amount put in! We would all really appreciate it!
I'm not sure if there should be any correcting allowed for the 33's? My speedo at 60MPH was off by 2MPH with 32's. Now with 33's at 60 MPH it's 100% correct according to every "your speed is" thing and my GPS.

I will wait till the light comes on, put about 20 bucks in the tank, make note of how many gallons it was and set the ODO and by the time I get back home the light will probablly be back on again and it will be all freeway miles.

As a note. I remember when I put 32's on, I only got about 290 miles out of a full tank (full according to the fuel guage) but don't recall how much was freeway or street miles. So figure 33's are gonna be worse than that.

All I know is $40 in my tank will get me from almost the pacific ocean CA to Reno, give or take 20 miles. If anybody is worried about MPG probablly best to skip 33's. I don't mind spending money on gas,... it helps out the economy!

Except for the whole global warming thing.

Soon as UPS guy gets here I will see if I can take a couple pics at full lock. The rest of the pics will have to wait till the weekend.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #60
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How do you correct for the larger tire diameter?