Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #61
ryber will become famous soon enoughryber will become famous soon enough

Name: Ryan
ryber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
How do you correct for the larger tire diameter?

You can either regear to get your ratio back close to stock, with 33s and 4:56 it will be close, but will still be over geared a tad bit, so speedo and odometer will still be slightly off
Next is to get a speedometer recalibrator like the Dakota Digital, which is what I got and will hopefully be installing sooner then later

If your just asking on how to figure out your proper mileage with your odometer wrong you need to figure out the size difference in % of the tires over stock and then X your mileage by 1.(insert percent amount).. So if your mileage is 300 and your tires are 7% larger you would take 300 X 1.07 which equals 321 and your actuall mileage
There is a tire size calculator in the tutorials that will give you your % off,
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #62
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
All right, thanks man. The second paragraph is good to know
Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #63
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
4.88! I am very happy with my 4.88s on my 2.7 with 265/75/16 (32s). Regear is necessary in my opinion anytime bigger tires are put on and when you want tons of power (if a 4 banger can have tons of power). However, RPMs are at 3K at 70 mph (actual speed) and the speed reads 20% above normal (85 mph when really going 70mph). Gears are the best mod yet.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #64
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Erik do you do alot of freeway driving? If so say if you drove 75% freeway what would your mpg be?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #66
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Ok here are some pics I took. Boring as hell pics. I will take some pics on level ground maybe next weekend. The one of the body mount is drivers side full lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-001.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-002.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-003.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-005.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-004.jpg  

Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-006.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-007.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-008.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-coma-pics-009.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #67
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get an alignment? Your front caster looks off.
305s look awesome though
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #68

ryber's Tacoma Gallery
See Oliver, 4:88s are the cool thing to do.. Isn't it about time you joined the club...haha
Old 11-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #69

ryber's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good with the 305s!!.. I debated for a long time betweem them and 285s.. wish I had of went 305 by the looks of yours.. Next time
Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #70
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
Did you get an alignment? Your front caster looks off.
305s look awesome though

You're correct.

3" of lift with stock UCA's <awesome castor.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #71
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
i would love to get 305's but i just dont wanna take the risk of rubbing that cab mount i think your the first i have heard not rubbing the mount with those
Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #72

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THROUGHITALLDUDE View Post
i would love to get 305's but i just dont wanna take the risk of rubbing that cab mount i think your the first i have heard not rubbing the mount with those
I still don't think they look very wide for a 305. They look wider in person but they still look more like a 285 to me.

I swear with a little cab mount chop and more triming of the front half of the fender, I could run 35's. I have no intention of running 35's though. That would create all kinds of other issues. At least I know I have a range of sizes that I can fit now.

Here I'm gonna try something, since both side shots were taken in the same part of the driveway. Pic on left is 32's and pic on right is 33's.
Attached Thumbnails
Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-32-side-shot.jpg   Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!-33-side-shot.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #74
Resmondo has a spectacular aura aboutResmondo has a spectacular aura about
Name: Cody
Resmondo's Tacoma Gallery
yea 35x14.50's on a 98 2.7 ltr with stock gears. haha it works pretty good. make trips 9+ hours home every now and then too....no problems at all.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #75

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THROUGHITALLDUDE View Post
where did you buy the tires from and those a pro comp wheels correct?
Bought the tires from Tirerack and Pro Comp 1069 wheels from 4x4 parts.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #76

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Just an update.

I've put about 7,000 miles on these 305's and I still don't feel the need to regear. Only thing I notice is taking off from a dead stop to about 5 MPH, which was the same as the 32's, requires a few more RPM's. By the way I have checked my speedo on numerous "your speed is" radar gizmo's and my GPS too and If radar or GPS say I'm doing 59, my speedo says 60. With 32's I think it was about 57-58 and 60.

Still havent checked my mileage yet. I love these Kumho MT's and have nothing bad to say about them at all but damn it next time I get tires, I'm getting Mud Grapplers on Mickey Thompson classic lock (polished) wheels (possibly black with just polished bead rings). Either 16x8 4"BS with 305/70/16's or 17x9 4.5" BS and 305/65/17 Grapplers. I really don't care for 17" wheels but I like them because they unlike the 16" ones are available in a 9" width for a flatter footprint but egh whatever.

I want loud annoying tires and I'm getting bored with my wheels but don't want wheels radically different from what I have now. These Kumho's are just boring quiet. There one bad thing I guess. I want my truck do drive like a truck (shit!)

I would be the coolest 88 year old in my rest home!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #77
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
LOL, I always sorta wondered about your sig: "My truck is a 4x4, not a fuggin' prerunner!"

Reading through this thread, I see where that originated!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #78
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
For me the regear was a must - especially for performing well offroad. My gears were awesome with the 265 and a necessity, for me, with my 305s. You may not 'need' the gears but I wouldnt have my truck without em.

I get just over 18 mpg with 305s and 4.88s (someone asked earlier)
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #79
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Im fitting some 315/75/16 on Friday