Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Hey there from Buffalo, ny.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
NickWRX is on a distinguished road
NickWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Hey there from Buffalo, ny.

Kinda exited to be picking up a taco monday.

found a traded in 09 ext cab long bed 4cyl auto. for a decent price.

i have always wanted a first gen taco coming from a ford household.

and being a homeowner for the past 6 years hindered my "new" truck ability.

In researching the changes for 09 im not thrilled with the "ricy" tail lights. which is no biggie. but if someone wants some new ones i could trade for the old red ones..

also i had previously thought all tacos came with a mechanical rear diff.

winter driving here is one of my favorite things to do.

Has any one had problems with the new "electronic" rear diff toyota cheaped out on?

I am an avid SUBARU finatic hence the SN. and even subaru "cheaped" out and stopped putting mechanical diffs in the impreza in 08 with the re-design.

I am just a little leary since every traction control system i have seen has failed miserably in snow.
Can the traction control be turned off completely?
Call me a jeremy clarkson clone.. electronic gadgets NEVER work for experienced drivers.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
Experienced drivers are few and far between. I drive any where from 100-300+ miles a day at work. I have gotten to the point I can predict traffic patterns and their changes before they happen. I guess you could call me an experienced driver but there are so many variables when driving, it is so easy to slip and make a mistake.

You are from NY, so no doubt, you have seen some snow! I have a 2010 2wheel drive with the LSD and it works great so far on dry pavement, can't say anything for it in the snow yet...we will see... I believe you can switch it off, but it will beep at you every time the tires slip even just a little. As you know, no one should ever completely depend on a vehicles "safety features" drive smart and you should make it....considering other drivers are driving smart too

Anyway, welcome to TW!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
NickWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Yes predicting traffic is never an easy task. I just started a different commute with a different job. and i laugh at the poor driving habits of most morning commuters.

I am not worried about driving in snow. i am just worried about getting stuck if the "traction control" takes over. and limits wheel spinning.. where as a true Rear diff would just lock and spin both rear wheels like it is supposed to.

i have driven a second Gen Rav4 in the snow. and it will get you there.. just without the control i am used to with my subaru.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Well, Since Syracuse beat Buffalo as the snow capital last year I guess I can offer some advice... The stock tires are not the greatest, but they work fine... I would recommend going to Home Depot and getting 3 bags of tube sand, I bought 5 last year and that was too much... 3 is still a lot, but improved traction quite a bit...
Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

I live in CT and we do not get the snow like you do, I have the SR5 4cyl auto ext cab 2WD and purchased a set of Blizzak tires for the winter. Drove in the snow several times and was plesently surprised how well the little Taco did. Never got stuck, never added weight in the bed. I did avoid steep inclines. As for the LSD, I tried several times to have a little fun in the snow, but the damn thing kept me going straight (quite impressive). My previous vehicle was a 96 Outback, and you obviously will not have that kind of control, but you will do just fine. Take it slow and drive smart.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
remdawg is on a distinguished road
remdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDFISH View Post
Well, Since Syracuse beat Buffalo as the snow capital last year I guess I can offer some advice... The stock tires are not the greatest, but they work fine... I would recommend going to Home Depot and getting 3 bags of tube sand, I bought 5 last year and that was too much... 3 is still a lot, but improved traction quite a bit...
Do you need to strap down the tube sand at all to keep it in place? Or if I buy 3 bags and set them down by my wheel wells will they sit there? (Asking because the composite bed is kind of slick). Also, I'm from Rochester... hello neighbors.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by remdawg View Post
Do you need to strap down the tube sand at all to keep it in place? Or if I buy 3 bags and set them down by my wheel wells will they sit there? (Asking because the composite bed is kind of slick). Also, I'm from Rochester... hello neighbors.

Not really sure, I have a bed mat so they don't move at all for me...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
NickWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDFISH View Post

Yeah i am not worried about controlling the truck with the skinny 215's that come on it. i am a huge fan of winter driving. It will just take some getting used to not being to accelerate on command. i still have my car to drive when its really snowy out. The truck came with a body color matched LEER cap on it which should help immensely with weight over the rear axle.

I am just worried about the open rear differential and "electronic" one crippling the power. being a 2.7 in the first place, i need all i can use.

another is the High idle / automatic transmission creep. it will take some getting used to.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Hello from 'Cuse!