Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

5 speed hard to go into reverse

Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Quick_1911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
Quick_1911's Tacoma Gallery
5 speed hard to go into reverse

Any of yall ever have problems going into reverse with your 4 cyl 5 speed trucks? Mine does it every once and a while and seems like it will go about haflway into the reverse slot but not all the way and it goes in once I row thru the gears once it goes in fine. This a common thing or should I be worried? Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Normal. It's because reverse does not have a syncro and are straight cut so the gears can sometimes not be lined up right. When mine does it I just put it in neutral, release the clutch for a sec and try again, it always goes in after that. FYI mine doesn't grind, just seems like its hitting a wall.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #3

Ok good to know, Thanks man. On mine its like it gets halfway in and it'll catch like it hits a wall.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_1911 View Post
Ok good to know, Thanks man. On mine its like it gets halfway in and it'll catch like it hits a wall.
Yup, exactly what mine does.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine goes into reverse much easier once I take it into first then go directly to reverse.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
My URD ss cleaned that up a little bit.
How hard was the install with the ss? Did you have to do any cutting/grinding?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
No cutting or grinding but I did have to bend up the ahem metal around the shifter a little, nothing to bad, the rest of the install is super easy.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry about the miss spell (damn touch screen) it's the sheet metal I had to bend.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, what they said. Line up the gears. Most likely you're parked on just enough of a slope to move the truck the 1mm it needs to line up gears. Sometimes you'll have to go into first and inch the truck forward to get it to line up.

Hell, most of the time, I kind of just like kind of sit down violently/rock the vehicle back/forth. That's usually enough movement to get it into reverse.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Shift to first then to reverse, helps line up the gears better...
^^^^This. It is common practice thing to shift into first then into reverse on manual transmissions. It lines up the gears since the reverse does not have a syncrod.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Normal. It's because reverse does not have a syncro and are straight cut so the gears can sometimes not be lined up right. When mine does it I just put it in neutral, release the clutch for a sec and try again, it always goes in after that. FYI mine doesn't grind, just seems like its hitting a wall.
i do this. btw... never be rolling when you put it in reverse. it grinds... trust me
Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
It's called 'double clutching' Years ago you had to do it on most of the stick trans to make them go into reverse.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it too... I just "double clutch" it.

Now that we have that resolved... why does reverse grind if you're moving slightly? I can shift into 1st while rolling forward or backward and it's fine, but if I'm not at a dead stop to go into R then its clunkgrrgrrrrgrrgrrrgrrrr
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Mine does it too... I just "double clutch" it.

Now that we have that resolved... why does reverse grind if you're moving slightly? I can shift into 1st while rolling forward or backward and it's fine, but if I'm not at a dead stop to go into R then its clunkgrrgrrrrgrrgrrrgrrrr
No syncro on the reverse gear.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Hahahahahaha
Quote:
No syncro on the reverse gear.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
Hahahahahaha
whats so funny?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
It seems like you said reverse doesn't have a synchro like 20 times. I guess not
Quote:
whats so funny?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
ya theres no syncro for reverse.