Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

p0446, p0441, p0442 fixes?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
p0446, p0441, p0442 fixes?

I'm getting these codes after about 1/2 a tank. Each time I get it the engine is warm. I feel no difference while driving. I replaced my fuel cap and the code is still coming up. Was there a simple fix for anyone that has had these codes? I have the step by step guide to repairing it, but come on that thing is way to long to go through for someone that has to work full time and drive their truck each day.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Ok, replaced gas cap with a new OEM one and from Toyota and still withing one tank my light comes back on.
Getting the code while driving on the interstate and engine is warmed up.
Any help around here?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check the wires going to the Vacuum control valve. Make sure they are not broken, and the plug is secure.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Did you use www.google.com to find out what each code means?

You'll find lots of information on google if you haven't already searched this forum.

Good Luck!
Did I google it? I've read page after page, but there are too many things that it could be and replacing the gas cap with a factory one was the most common fix. so that's what I did and it didn't work.
Now I'm asking here cause it sounds like a common issue so somebody might be able to help out so that I'm not wasting my time on things that will not fix it.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt View Post
Did I google it? I've read page after page, but there are too many things that it could be and replacing the gas cap with a factory one was the most common fix. so that's what I did and it didn't work.
Now I'm asking here cause it sounds like a common issue so somebody might be able to help out so that I'm not wasting my time on things that will not fix it.
Did you see these pages?
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0446
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

Unfortunately...this is something you'll have to further your troubleshooting skills to figure it out. Utilize those pages where they say 'causes' and you'll have to check various other items before coming to a conclusion. Sometimes codes aren't that easy to figure out and why you haven't recevied too many responses.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
442 and 456 are the same code. 441 ia probably a result of 442. I would siggest looking for a vacuum leak and inspecting the VSV for this system.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...3/cip0442p.pdf
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Air Force:
I'm going to crawl under the truck either today or tomorrow. Hard to get anything done when I live in a super condo and the truck is parked in a dark parking garage, but I'll see what I can see. Thx guys!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Air Force:
OK, crawled under my truck with a flashlight. Placed my hands on every single line from the tank to the filter. No nicks or cracks. Examed the vacuum lines under the hood including the schrader valve and everything was fine. Checked the valves and the connections and they are fine as well.
took the gas cap off and followed the lines to the tank. Everything looked fine. Looked down the neck of the fill tank and then I got a little puzzled. Isn't there suppose to be a metal one way door there? Seems that all my other cars has it. Wonder if mine fell off or possible never had one?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
OK, crawled under my truck with a flashlight. Placed my hands on every single line from the tank to the filter. No nicks or cracks. Examed the vacuum lines under the hood including the schrader valve and everything was fine. Checked the valves and the connections and they are fine as well.
took the gas cap off and followed the lines to the tank. Everything looked fine. Looked down the neck of the fill tank and then I got a little puzzled. Isn't there suppose to be a metal one way door there? Seems that all my other cars has it. Wonder if mine fell off or possible never had one?
Nope.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Air Force:
well that sucks! at least it would have meant something...LOL I also noticed that on the charcoal canister. There is 2 valves mounted towards the inside of them. The one that is closer to the axle has a rubber line coming down from it off of the top of it. I put my hands on it and it's very flexible. Thought it might have popped off of the canister or something but it appears to be normal. Like a vent of some type. Need to get to my diagrams again.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Air Force:
http://www.findonefindall.com/toyota...evap_P0446.htm

Dang this guys issue is exactly like mine....UGH!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
garetcurry is on a distinguished road

Army: Veteran
Name: Garet
garetcurry's Tacoma Gallery
Uggh boy, that looks like a nightmare to troubleshoot. I start lurking on Ebay to get some parts.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
that isn't actually that hard... it's asking you to check the evap system.... shouldn't take to long or you can just buy a new canister....
Old 12-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroller View Post
that isn't actually that hard... it's asking you to check the evap system.... shouldn't take to long or you can just buy a new canister....
Was trying to aviod spending $320 on a new canister. Money is tight. Looked all over the internet before I had went to work and couldn't find one on ebay or even used for that matter. Might be a law selling used emission equipment here in california?
Going to bite the bullet I guess? Unless I find a Upull it yard.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #16
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
check ur vacuum lines. make sure they are all plugged in. if anything check the one coming from the fuel tank checkvalve, if u see moisture in there its probably sucking in fuel = bad checkvalve, setting the MIL. if still no moisture, the gasket for checkvalve maybe leaking n the evap.system is not holding pressure = bad checkvalve. IMO

canister rarely goes bad before the checkvalve
Old 12-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #17
Air Force:
Where is the check valve?
went over all the lines yesterday and they are all connected and in good condition.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #18

Marines:
Quote:
Where is the check valve?
went over all the lines yesterday and they are all connected and in good condition.
On the cannister. See #6

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...eecsy/insp.pdf
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #19

Marines:
The VSV's for the EVAP and Cannister are in the engine bay. See page 33. There could be a leak there also or one of the VSV's could be bad.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Wiri...tric/parts.pdf
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #20
Air Force:
I want that boroscope they sell at Sears! Then I could just run that sucker up into any line and see what's up with the diaphragm.
When I worked on jet engines you brought out the boroscope whenever you wanted to look inside. loved to have one now!
I think I'll just blow into the valve and see if there is any air moving past it and out the vent.