Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Higher octane

Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
Higher octane

Anyone run a higher octane than the recommended 87? Does it make a difference?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
higher octane = waste of money
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah higher octane gasoline is only recommended for high compression engines. like ferrari, bmw, and so on. some people on here run it on tacomas. if your engine is giving you you some knocking, try running seafoam through it. itll make your truck smoke like hell if the injectors are dirty.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Not really. There is a marginal yet factual difference in performance between 87 and 91. You have 'knock sensors' in your engine. When you run 87, your ecu will retard your timing to eliminate knock ("pinging" or "detonation" are other terms for it) thereby losing a small amount of power. when you use 91 (I wont use anything else) you are running full advance timing and are utilizing all the power your engine has. The price differential to me is small. IMO, and this is MY opinion only, if you run 87 and the timing is being retarded by the ecu resulting in slight loss of power, then you will tend to use more throttle to get to speed, hence mileage will go down slightly-hence more fuel burned. IMO, it is better to run 91 at the slightly higher cost because the benefit is the maximum timing
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wow. good info. i didnt know that. +1
Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
wow. good info. i didnt know that. +1
Whatsup buddy that is what I have learned both here and researching on the net. When Chris4x4 comes on later I will run this post by him and verify my accuracy because he IS the man on this stuff-but I'm confident in my post Besides, I noted an uncomfortable difference in "pickup" in my truck between the two octanes-which is what prompted me to research in the first place!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #7

yeah thats mainly how i learn stuff. performance stuff that is. i just read posts and listen to you guys and i do some researching on my own.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
yeah higher octane gasoline is only recommended for high compression engines. like ferrari, bmw, and so on. some people on here run it on tacomas. if your engine is giving you you some knocking, try running seafoam through it. itll make your truck smoke like hell if the injectors are dirty.
When you run seafoam thru your engine do you use all three of the methods....or just a selection of Gas/Oil/Intake.

I used it on my scion- Got it in the Oil and Gas....Not sure how to introduce it to the intake tho....Suggestions?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the seafoam, good stuff
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
anybody have 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with 87 vs 91 octane?

Or maybe dyno numbers?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Not really. There is a marginal yet factual difference in performance between 87 and 91. You have 'knock sensors' in your engine. When you run 87, your ecu will retard your timing to eliminate knock ("pinging" or "detonation" are other terms for it) thereby losing a small amount of power. when you use 91 (I wont use anything else) you are running full advance timing and are utilizing all the power your engine has. The price differential to me is small. IMO, and this is MY opinion only, if you run 87 and the timing is being retarded by the ecu resulting in slight loss of power, then you will tend to use more throttle to get to speed, hence mileage will go down slightly-hence more fuel burned. IMO, it is better to run 91 at the slightly higher cost because the benefit is the maximum timing
That's a very good point there, im wondering if anybody has tried this with their scangauge, check consumption with a tank of 91 and another with 87.....
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Not really. There is a marginal yet factual difference in performance between 87 and 91. You have 'knock sensors' in your engine...
I am going to try the 91 on the next fill up. I don’t detect any pinging (which I shouldn’t with the modern system) but I drive up mountain passes regularly and could use all the power I can get out of my 2.7.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I run 87..... and if I ever haul or tow anything long distance, I'd use midgrade. The cost of the hi-grade just isn't worth whatever benefits it'll give you unless you're hauling/towing/ or racing.

If I'm gonna gain any *power* in anything worth putting 93 in....is in our corvette. It actually requires it.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
When you run seafoam thru your engine do you use all three of the methods....or just a selection of Gas/Oil/Intake.

I used it on my scion- Got it in the Oil and Gas....Not sure how to introduce it to the intake tho....Suggestions?
no i have mainly just poured it into the gas tank. for oil i use lucas oil treatment. it lubricates rings and it bonds more easily. it has a very thick consistency. we run it in all of aour cars. a matrix and the tacoma. i just use regular 87 octane. as for the intake im not sure either.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah higher octane gasoline is only recommended for high compression engines.
The Tacomas 4.0 has a compression ratio of 10 to 1. Thats pretty high for a truck.
Quote:
This is correct. Sometimes the cost of the more expensive fuel is a factor for the end user. FWIW, the newer 4.0 1GR-FE is rated at 236 h.p. 266 lb/ft. on 87 octain and 239 h.p. 278 lb/ft. on 91. a gain of 12 lb. ft. of tq for a few cents more per gallon. I have done some comparos with different Oct. of fuel. With my Tacoma, when towing my boat, useing 87 I get around 14.5 mpg.. 89 and towing the same trip I get 16.1 mpg. I havent tested 91 yet. I find the extra performance worth it. Not all vehicles respond this way. My Dodge got WORSE mpg when run on 91 oct. vs. 87, but higher Octain does seem to benafit the Tacomas.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #16

Thanks Chris well guys there you go-straight from the guy who actually puts claims and theories to the test! Now that gas prices have dropped a bit, it's a good time to do your own test
Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #17
blackonwhite is on a distinguished road
blackonwhite's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 06 4 banger regular cab manual and i can tell a big difference between the 87 and 93 octane....where i live its 93 not 91...that could be why.. but with 87 there is no acceleration wat so ever.. but if i put 93 in it its pulls like crazy... could be my imgaination but i am pretty sure its makes a difference in my truck and for 10 cents more why not
Old 08-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonwhite View Post
i have an 06 4 banger regular cab manual and i can tell a big difference between the 87 and 93 octane....where i live its 93 not 91...that could be why.. but with 87 there is no acceleration wat so ever.. but if i put 93 in it its pulls like crazy... could be my imgaination but i am pretty sure its makes a difference in my truck and for 10 cents more why not
I would LOVE a good tank of 93! I miss it! It's been 91 for quite a few yrs out here-those extra 2 points would be sweet
Old 09-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
I ran 91 for my last fill-up with some interesting results. Keep in mind I drive mostly city and mountain passes, so no easy highway cruising. With regular my last mileage was 19.10. With 91 my mileage jumped up to 21.11. If you plug the numbers into a spreadsheet it works out that it cost me $3.29 more to fill up with 91 but because of the better mileage I got an extra 33.2 miles out of the tank or $6.13 worth of gas. So my net savings was $2.84 for a tank of gas. Plus I think the truck runs stronger up the mountain passes.