Notices

Grinding noise in rear end

Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
nrspence is on a distinguished road

Army: 1 BTN 640th RTI
Name: Nate
nrspence's Tacoma Gallery
Grinding noise in rear end

I have an 08 2.7L regular cab 4x4 tacoma with 38,000 miles on it. I bought the truck with 500 miles on it. I installed a 3 inch tough country lift with the add a leaf in the rear six months ago. Every since i installed the lift I here a grinding vibrating noise somewhere in the rear half of my truck when I let off the gas pedal or push in the clutch when im going over 55 mph. When im pushing on the gas pedal i don't get any noise and the truck sounds fine. I only get the noise when im coasting or off the gas. I thought it might be the driveline angle because of the lift so i installed 3 degree shims, but the shims did not solved the problem. The rear differental is stock and all i've done to it is change the oil 8 thousand miles ago to full synthetic, so i can not imagine that is the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have any ideas what is makeing the grinding vibrating noise? Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
I've had this exact same problem since my 2.5" lift. It is exactly as u explain. I have no idea what it is. I even had lower gears installed and it still does it. It seems to me like a vibration that is dampened once power is given to it. Anyone else have this problem or know what it is?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
ryber will become famous soon enoughryber will become famous soon enough

Name: Ryan
ryber's Tacoma Gallery
This is a common noise with the reg cabs, especially lifted ones, but stock guys have had the noise as well.. I got it after i installed my OME lift. It is definitely vibration in the drive shaft.
I did a ton of seaching on the subject when I got it and found people were getting rid of it by flipping there driveshafts, and some were having sucess with shims and going with a tom woods drive shaft. I decided to do the flip since it was free and it worked perfect.......for awhile, abut 10k miles or so later it started to come back. Ive got shims but havent installed them yet.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
another thread said that flipping the driveshaft has often helped this problem. How would this make a difference? I'm slightly mechanically challenged
May have something to do with driveshaft balance.

When you rotate the shaft, your basically trying to find a better high/low spot to equal out the vibrations instead of having a high/high spot where you can feel the vibes.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
nrspence is on a distinguished road

Army: 1 BTN 640th RTI
Name: Nate
nrspence's Tacoma Gallery
Well i have the 3 degree shims installed like i mentioned above. I fliped the driveshaft tonight and took my truck for a drive, the vibration is gone. So for now the driveshaft flip has worked. I do not think with my add a leaf i really need the shims, but ill leave them in since im planning on upgrading to OME Dakar springs in the near future. Thanks for the everyones feedback.