Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

How many miles past "empty" can these go?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles past "empty" can these go?

From what i've been told, gauges are conservative meaning maybe a gallon or 2 is left in reserve after "E" is reached. I know it's bad to run engines down that low because of the "dirty gas" that lies at the bottom or whatever they say the reason you're not supposed to run it low.

What has your experience been? Anyone ran out of gas? How many miles did you get past empty?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
my 09 dc 4x4 has 4 gallons when it just touches the E mark.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Taco Truck Noob
Jefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shedJefenator is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Jefenator's Tacoma Gallery
Post You should find this thread helpful:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...en-e-line.html
Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ yeah i just discovered that thread, my bad fellas
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
From what i've been told, gauges are conservative meaning maybe a gallon or 2 is left in reserve after "E" is reached. I know it's bad to run engines down that low because of the "dirty gas" that lies at the bottom or whatever they say the reason you're not supposed to run it low.

What has your experience been? Anyone ran out of gas? How many miles did you get past empty?
Water floats on gas so if there is any in the tank and you run it down far you could run it through your engine. If it's cold that water can freeze in the injectors and cause problems also. Just giving you some other reasons not to run your tank down that far.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
^^ water is denser than gas, so the water will be at the bottom of the tank.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
lolz, guess I shoulda filled 'er up 2nite, it's going down to 8F
Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Snoyota will become famous soon enoughSnoyota will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Taylor
Snoyota's Tacoma Gallery
ive gone 54 miles on empty
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I could go 100+ if I really wanted to. But I usually fill up within 10 miles or so when the light comes on.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
gas floats on water.

wow

anyways, i've gone 60 lots of times after the light comes on. i'd say 75 is about as far as i would want to go. the reason they say you should fill up, is the gas cools the fuel pump and potential for sediment. or so they say. i've never really worried about it.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
yea im not sure about toyota fuel pumps needing to be cooled but i had a z28 camaro and i burnt a fuel pump up runnin the fuel low.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As long as fuel is flowing through the pump, it is being cooled.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
NOTE: the gallon figures below may be +/- 0.5 gallon from your truck. Do your on research to confirm my findings.

The needle keeps moving below the E-Line... There is approx. 2.5 gallons in this 'reserve' area between the E line and an empty tank... We know this because if we fill up right when the gauge is on E, we can put 18.5 gallons in the tank. It is a 21 gallon tank, so 21-18.5 = 2.5.

The miles you can drive before your truck dies depends on your mileage. My truck at 17 mpg can go 42 miles before running out, from the E Line. NEVER do this on purpose!

The amount of gas at the other gauge points:

The low gas warning light comes on with 4 gallons in the tank (down 17 from full).

At the 1/4 tank line, there is 8 gallons in the tank (down 13 from full).

At the 1/2 tank line, there is 12 gallons in the tank (down 9 from full).

At the 3/4 tank line, there is 16 gallons in the tank (down 5 from full).

Again, these figures may be as much as 1/2 gallon different in your truck, depending on temperature and how full it was filled. A half gallon at 16 mpg is = 8 miles, and at 22 mpg is = 11 miles...
Old 12-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
i've gone 52 miles after the light came on
Old 12-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a bunch David K! Those are some hard numbers that reek of research and personal experience. I remember reading through most of your other thread and have come to the conclusion that most have. I get about 23 mpg so i'm going to sway to the conservative side and estimate 3 gallons when the light first comes on giving me about 70 miles before i absolutely must fill up.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
mikemataa is on a distinguished road
mikemataa's Tacoma Gallery
I've gone upwards of 50+ and I just burnt the fuel pump up at 102000 miles.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I still to this day never understood the point of running dry when you have a chance of burning the pump. One guy said he drive a lot so he did it to fuel up less often. I call that being a lazy ass.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Science!

I'm a creature of habbit...if you check my fuelly you'll see what I'm talking about. My last 10+ fill ups have been 17.25 gal +/- .5 gal....hahaha.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
As long as fuel is flowing through the pump, it is being cooled.

this is not true...the pump is supposed to be submerged and is the leading cause of fuel pump failure...also besides overheating the pump by running it low as people have stated, you're more likely to suck up more sediment, etc...

also another reason to not have your tank that low is in case there is an emergency and you need to evacuate your town or even hit the road to a hospital because someone got hurt you dont need to be pussyfooting around at a gas station getting gas while they could be sitting their bleeding or in shock etc. or something like 9/11 happens and you're in a big city like NY and need to get out imagine the lines and how quickly the tanks in the ground will empty. because most gas stations get a fuel truck 2-4 times a day
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
I'm a creature of habbit...if you check my fuelly you'll see what I'm talking about. My last 10+ fill ups have been 17.25 gal +/- .5 gal....hahaha.
And was this right when your E Light came on, each time you topped with 17 gallons?