Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Is a 4 cylinder auto sufficient to power a double cab?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
derektion is on a distinguished road
Name: Derek
derektion's Tacoma Gallery
Is a 4 cylinder auto sufficient to power a double cab?

I want to buy an auto 4 cylinder Tacoma 4X2. I am considering a double cab, but am worried of it running slow esp. with the double cab full of people.

If anyone has experience with this maybe they can let me know...is it even worth getting a double cab with the 4 banger or should I get the v6?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It will move the truck but you wont be going anywhere fast. It is after all a 4 banger in a 4000 lb truck.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
x2
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
i have the '01 DC 4x2 prerunner w/ 32" duratracs and a 3" lift and a few other mods, look at my page and you will see, for what i need it to do, it is just fine for me, its not a speed racer though, its a truck. i pull an 18' boat regularly and use to haul the four wheeler. my brother has the V6 double cab and his is quicker but i get better MPGs
Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
i have the '01 DC 4x2 prerunner w/ 32" duratracs and a 3" lift and a few other mods, look at my page and you will see, for what i need it to do, it is just fine for me, its not a speed racer though, its a truck. i pull an 18' boat regularly and use to haul the four wheeler. my brother has the V6 double cab and his is quicker but i get better MPGs
There's a 1400# difference between a 1st and 2nd gen with only a 17 hp increase. (numbers taken from Toyota spec sheets)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
my bad, didnt notice he was talking about 2nd gen.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
tacoma-king has a spectacular aura abouttacoma-king has a spectacular aura about

tacoma-king's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know how much snow your talking about but my first gen 1997 sucks on ice and snow in 2 wheel but the secound i put it in 4 wheel it drives on ice and snow just fine. my 4 cly has all the power i need on and off road and does not feel all that slow(it faster then my moms dodge avenger) but the fisrt gen is almost 500bls ligther then the secound gen
Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
just remember that the current 4 cyl has as much HP as the V-6 from the previous generation. I am happy with the power of my 4 cyl. It is not fast, but plenty quick and always ready to rev.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
just remember that the current 4 cyl has as much HP as the V-6 from the previous generation. I am happy with the power of my 4 cyl. It is not fast, but plenty quick and always ready to rev.
Uhh, not really, lol

5VZ was around 190hp

Although compared to the rangers 3.0 V6, we have 10 more hp in our I4
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
You might save a few bucks in gas mileage, but the little ole lady down the street is gonna be flippin you the bird for gettin in her way.
Seriously, if you feel you must save every penny, consider resale value as well. Your going to have a hard time getting anything back out of it IMHO.
I think you actually mentioned something about a double cab. Don't think they make a double cab 4 banger but if I'm wrong someone will surely chime in.
good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
They made a double cab 4 banger in the first gens....and now they made it again in 2011.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
You might save a few bucks in gas mileage, but the little ole lady down the street is gonna be flippin you the bird for gettin in her way.
Seriously, if you feel you must save every penny, consider resale value as well. Your going to have a hard time getting anything back out of it IMHO.
I think you actually mentioned something about a double cab. Don't think they make a double cab 4 banger but if I'm wrong someone will surely chime in.
good luck.
Yeah they actually make a 4 banger double cab this year. But you have a good point, I need to consider resale value! I guess its not worth it to save a couple thousand.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '01 4cyl prerunner lifted with heavy ass steal wheels and Toyo MT's that weigh 57lbs each. My truck is slow off the line but once I hit 40mph it will get going. I do all sorts of off roading. Sometimes I do wish I had a V6 but I know the 4cyl engine will run forever. I really don't pay attention to gas mileage but I know my truck isn't that good on gas. I think it works harder causing it to use more gas.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Make the wise choice and get a V6.
Very good points. I don't want to regret my decision, and I could see myself getting mad in the future at skimping on a couple thousand.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Trj3 is on a distinguished road
Trj3's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on your use. First of all. The back seats are pretty tight so you wont have 4 huge people in there. For around town and trips, no towing, its great. Love it. So much quieter than the 6. Acceleration is fine and acutally really good in the lower end. I ve had a long line of high powered trucks and each has their own use. If off road or power performance was your primary focus then the 6 is the way to go.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It will move the truck but you wont be going anywhere fast. It is after all a 4 banger in a 4000 lb truck.
x2
Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
avionicsman is on a distinguished road
avionicsman's Tacoma Gallery
First, sorry to bring up an old topic.

I've been in the market for a Tacoma so I test drove the double cab prerunner 4cyl. Interested in the best mileage possible that can haul people and project materials around.

It is horrendously slow, as in I'd get killed here in Houston. I expected something comparable to what I have now... I have a 2000 Frontier 4cyl 5spd and in comparison feels like a sports car. Not sure if it is the weight difference, auto transmission, or both. Even my wife who always pushes for the best MPG choice was completely convinced against not buying the 4cyl.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
^ Yeah bro. Don't know what to tell you. I've got the 4banger manual regular cab and i find it even a tad slow for my tastes. DC I4 would honestly be painful for me to drive. Especially an auto.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
avionicsman is on a distinguished road
avionicsman's Tacoma Gallery
It felt almost as if the transmission would never use 1st gear. Either today's trucks (not just Toyota) have gotten to bloated or my old stock 4cyl Truck has more power than advertised....

Need a compact double cab truck w/turbo diesel. One thing to look forward to when traveling out of the country.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage difference will be negligible. The I4 will have to work harder to move a truck that size, where the v6 will do it at a lower RPM's. Get the V-6, the power is there, the resale value is better and you'll get maybe 1 mpg less than a 4 cyl? To me the choice is obvious.