1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help, about to buy a Tacoma-

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by sirjohnrambo, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    sirjohnrambo

sirjohnrambo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm about to buy a tacoma at dealer (nissan dealer, in which the owner is actually driving the tacoma.....) its a used 2010 with 15,000(+-) miles carfax, 1 owner. Its exactly what i was looking for- Access Cab 4cy 4x4 with 5 speed but there are a couple of things that are making me kinda uneasy-

example 1: There is some kind of insulation (tin foil looking) around the main air box and i believe the exhaust manifold. Why the hell? any ideas? should i remove it?

example 2: The yellow sticker in the door that says this vehicle has added extras and brings down the total weight of capacity by 4 pounds. What is this? is this just toyota updating the 2005 specs?

example 3: Its pretty beat up for a 2010, i dont care that much because, its a truck and it helped lower the price. (examples- bumper bent from missing trailers, sunglass holder fell in lap- some scratched sides and possibly a small bondo patch)

should i go for it? whats a good price? the price theyre asking for a 2010 in this configuration seems like good deal- it has the remaining warranty and all that- what do you guys think?

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Give us some photos of the truck as well as photos of what you are talking about...

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    Example 1; that tin foil looking thing is a heat shield.. you'll also find them under your truck between the exahust and the chassis.
    Example 2; don't know
    Example 3; I used to be worried about my painted TRD bumper also...till i backed into a concrete barrier..now i have the chrome steel bumper. If it was me i'd worry about any major probs.. which it doesnt sound like it has w/only 15k miles. Good Luck.

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    sirjohnrambo

sirjohnrambo [OP] New Member

Member:
    i can't get pictures until monday, its in a fenced area at the dealership i cannot get to. I understand the foil as a heat sheild but ive never seen its wrapped around all the plastic components on the top of the engine, and I can't find anything about it no matter where i search. And im not going to lie, the owner of a nissan dealer driving a tacoma and selling it ultra low? little sketchy.

5. Dec 20, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    sirjohn, Where are you in NC? I'd be willing to come take a look with you.

Depends on what they are asking man, toss us out a number.

KBB says an excellent condition (without SR5 package) from a dealer with 15k is 25,900.

Don't ever pay close to that. I'm finding 4x4 access cabs 4banges on cars.com from toyota dealers for around 23,000. These are with between 10 and 20 thousand miles and are in great shape. If this thing is as beat up as you say, I wouldn't give more than 20k out the door (this is including tax, tag, title, all doc fees, etc)... and that is really stretching it.

I'd talk to one of these dealers I'm seeing on cars.com and try to negotiate for something below 23k out the door. Maybe offer 21k and ask them to throw in a bed mat haha :D Near the end of the year, and especially if you have financing not through Toyota Motor Credit. Dealers will play ball.

Also, dealers in carolina low ball on trades, so even though 21K out the door might seem like a big amount off the asking price (sale before all fees would probably be around $19,500) I've shopped my taco to a few places throughout the states and although KBB has it valued around 17k, I was getting offers around 14k. KBB has a "good" taco like the one you are describing listed for trade at 19,800. I am willing to bet this nissan dealer gave 17,500 or less for it.

Just my .02

Products Discussed in

To Top