LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

under coating

Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
under coating

Probably in the wrong section...if so,moderators,please place in correct area please.Anyway,who undercoated their Tacoma and what did you use or have done...how much $$$$$$...did it add alot of weight?.TIA (thanks in advance).
Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
I used some stuff called "Fluid Film" that I purchased from theruststore.com. It's a lanolin based product that stays wet, providing a barrier to salt and other crap. After it snows and my truck is all salty, I just spray off with a hose, and I'm good to go. If you get it, make sure you get the aerosol can form of it, it's like 10 bucks a can or so. I used almost two cans on mine, and sprayed the hell out of it.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Great info Mr Andy...did you do inside the doors also?...you say it stays "wet"....how interesting,you'd think it would "fly-off" or something to that affect.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
No, I didn't do inside the doors. That stuff stays on no matter what though. Even water won't wash it off. It just beads off and is clean of salt. Check out theruststore.com. They even have a little demo of it.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2010 View Post
No, I didn't do inside the doors. That stuff stays on no matter what though. Even water won't wash it off. It just beads off and is clean of salt.
WOW,sounds like REALLY good stuff!.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
so what happens when you want it off in the summer?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
It's not really something you would want to take off. It acts as a rust inhibitor as well as a barrier so it's fine to keep on all year long. I'll apply another coat next fall.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
I sprayed a whole gallon of Fluid Film underneath my truck last fall, and plan to repeat it yearly. It's supposed to migrate into cracks, crevices, and places that the spray does not directly reach. It seems like a good product, but I won't know for a few years. I would like to hear from someone who has used it for a few years.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
i used two spray's.first i sprayed my frame with castle thrust.second i sprayed zep 2000.the thrust is a light penetrate the zep 2000 is heavier and goes on thick.so far i just hose off the salt and the zep doesn't seem to be wearing off.i'll be able to give a better review after the winter.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
I sprayed a whole gallon of Fluid Film underneath my truck last fall, and plan to repeat it yearly. It's supposed to migrate into cracks, crevices, and places that the spray does not directly reach. It seems like a good product, but I won't know for a few years. I would like to hear from someone who has used it for a few years.
X2
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Banned
bowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to beholdbowhunter11199 is a splendid one to behold
bowhunter11199's Tacoma Gallery
so basically you put it on after you wash it and you just have to spray it off and it looks great
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter11199 View Post
so basically you put it on after you wash it and you just have to spray it off and it looks great
Pretty much. I researched this in the summer, and found that alot of Australians use a product called Lano-tec which is also Lanolin based. They've been using it for years in areas close to the coast for their off-road vehicles. "Fluid Film" is also a Lanolin based product. Go to the posted link and check out the demo.

http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Fi...iXuE4baonLuVwQ
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
Finished up my 5000 mile service today, I was under there lubing the prop shafts and I looked around some to see how the Fluid Film was holding up, in the front of the truck everything still looks clean, it is shiny from the Fluid Film and has cinders stuck in it, but everything looks brand new. The back of the truck looks more typical, dirty, naturally enough with an Ohio winter, plus I live on a back road, gravel, mud and what not, but when I give one of the dirty places an easy wipe with a rag, the dirt comes right off and underneath is nice clean looking Fluid Film. So it looks to stay on well, of course the real test is what it will look like a few years down the road. Preliminary results are encouraging.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't want undercoating, had couple other cars in the past with it that terribly rusted out, but it was on the truck when I bought it. It was part of the dealer's rip off package along with a paint guard and scotch guard on the interior.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2010 View Post
I used some stuff called "Fluid Film" that I purchased from theruststore.com. It's a lanolin based product that stays wet, providing a barrier to salt and other crap. After it snows and my truck is all salty, I just spray off with a hose, and I'm good to go. If you get it, make sure you get the aerosol can form of it, it's like 10 bucks a can or so. I used almost two cans on mine, and sprayed the hell out of it.
x2

Yeah, this stuff is REALLY good. I even power washed my truck a couple times just to blow the salt off and it was still there. And it stays moist. Doesn't evaporate or dry up because it is not a solvent.

A really inexpensive way to protect your metal.

To steal one from the Frank's Red Hot Sauce commercial:

"I use that sh!t on everything!"
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 AM   #16
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
I had my '99 frame sprayed every year and it still rusted through. I'm a little reluctant with this one to do anything. I may try the stuff from theruststore.com though. Sounds like it may be worth the few bucks.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
I think you mean because it isn't VOLATILE.
Being a solvent or not really has no relevance.
From their website. Interpret it how you choose. Doesn't say anything about volatility. I was just trying to give a general description of the attributes of the product

Q. Will dirt build up on the surface after applying Fluid Film?
A. Because it remains wet, you'll see an initial light dusting, but because it doesn't have any solvents it won't become sticky and gum up or create a build-up of dirt.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #18

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Problem is that whatever keeps water OUT will also keep water IN.
Hey dude, not trying to start a pissing contest but, do you work for Fluid Film's competition?

Q. What makes Fluid Film different from its competitors?
A. Where most products contain between seventy and ninety percent solvent, Fluid Film contains none except for its propellant, meaning long lasting lubrication and protection. With no solvent, Fluid Film won't evaporate or become sticky or gummy, allowing it to migrate to other areas for lubrication or protection. With its unique lanolin base, Fluid Film will actually embed itself in the pores of metal, resisting wash off and keeping moisture and oxygen from getting to the base metal. Containing no solvent content, Fluid Film lends itself to numerous applications where the comparative solvent-based products would not even be considered
Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
magic is on a distinguished road
magic's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone tried the fluid flim in the brush and container? like the pvc glue cans this is what im talking abouthttp://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-8-oz-Brush-Can-P203C67.aspx
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
magic is on a distinguished road
magic's Tacoma Gallery
bump^^^^