Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Transmission Fluid Change?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
dgjones is on a distinguished road
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Fluid Change?

Hi, 09 Taco. 2.7. 30,000 miles. I would like to change the transmission fluid buy I don't know where to begin or what type to use. Manual mentions nothing about transmission maintenence (except to take to toyato dealer) Can anyone give me the rundown on this??
Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty sure the 2nd gen tacos can go longer, at least 50k for the automatics. Check the color of your fluid.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
I've done some pretty heavy towing with this truck and I want to change the fluid. Where is the drain plug located?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Manual or Automatic? Kind of important.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
If you've got an auto, there's a how to under the Mods & Tutorials, 2nd gen How To's.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Reagan
4cyltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...intenance.html

this should help you out a bit. and its quite some money also. lol this is for the manual tranny..
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
If you've got an auto, there's a how to under the Mods & Tutorials, 2nd gen How To's.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html

Thanks for the link!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I bought some T-IV fluid recently and will be doing a drain & fill on my 2006 4-cyl auto trans (almost 60k miles). I don't have a pump for refilling through the fill hole, but I have a medium funnel that fits inside the dipstick tube neck. Is there any reason why I can't add fluid through the dipstick tube? There won't be any grime or dirt in the tube since the dipstick fits snug over the neck.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
bump...
I just read in another thread that the 1st gens can add tranny fluid through the dipstick tube, that's great... I just want to know if there is any reason why I cannot add trans fluid through the dipstick tube on my 06 4cyl 4-speed auto (takes T-IV fluid). Thx
Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
It is true that for normal driving conditions the fluid doesn't need to be serviced?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
It is true that for normal driving conditions the fluid doesn't need to be serviced?
Just go by what Toyota advises......all fluids need changed at some point.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what trans you have .If its a manual , its very easy.There is a drain and a fill plug. consult manual for the oil type , socket size ,and oil quantity. Basically you drain the oil from drain plug ,refill the oil on lvl ground until its near the fill plug.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4-speed automatic transmission in my 2006 4-cyl 2wd access cab Tacoma. It requires T-IV fluid. After draining the used transmission fluid, is there any reason I can't add new transmission fluid through the dipstick tube? Anyone?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
I have a 4-speed automatic transmission in my 2006 4-cyl 2wd access cab Tacoma. It requires T-IV fluid. After draining the used transmission fluid, is there any reason I can't add new transmission fluid through the dipstick tube? Anyone?
While I have not done this on a Toyota, my Nissan, did require filling from the dip stick and this is common with other makes. There are funnels that work perfectly for this and it drops the fluid into the pan which is where you drained the old fluid from.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Did the drain & fill this weekend at 56k miles: fully warm, drained for 10 min, plugged, added 3qt T-IV slowly through the dipstick, drove gently for 10 min (including a short highway run), checked level... turns out it needed about 3.8qt total to reach 'full when hot' on the dipstick. Elsewhere in these forums it says 3.2qt for drain & fill... maybe just my tranny, maybe some are not draining as long or when hot, or something else. It would take about 4qt to reach the level it was at before, which was 1cm above the full/hot mark. The used fluid was a chocolate red color and the new fluid is bright red. It seems to shift slightly smoother and accelerate more easily under normal driving, just more efficient overall power usage.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
This comes from everyone with the v6 auto which has no dipstick(needs pump for ease). 4cyl auto does but it's less common on here, so that is where you heard that from.