Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Re-geared, What a difference!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Re-geared, What a difference!

So far I have put 900 miles on my new 4.56 gears, installed on Monday the 14th (a week ago).

Around town its rev happy, no more sitting in gear waiting for the RPM's to get going. I havent driven around town enough to give a good MPG estimate but from looking at my ultra-gauge, seems like 1st-4th gear the gas gets sucked a little more (I do get to speed a lot quicker). Now I can actually drive around town in 5th gear and going 45-55 MPH I am showing around 36-39 which equates to 33-35 after the over gear correction.

On my trip to Primm from Phoenix, I was driving between 70 and 85 MPH with mostly head winds and cold weather. The whole trip I averaged just a bit over 20 MPG and engine load in the 70-90% range. I also did a few trails on the way with some quick starts. I had about 500 pounds of passengers and cargo in my 4 cylinder access cab. I noticed that up certain hills I no longer had to downshift and when passing, I was able to just lay into 5th gear and accelerate.

Over all I am extremely happy with my choice of re-gearing and the gear choice I went with. People should really consider re-gearing to achieve their lost power needs instead of looking to do CAI, exhausts and all the other expensive things that do not achieve much if anything.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
That's great to hear!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
hwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant future
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
What does it cost to re-gear?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
what are mpg's are you getting with the new gears???
Have not really driven enough around town to be 100% but I used to get ~22 before re-gear (after diameter correction 23.6 mpg). From the little driving I have done that matters ~25 (after over-gear correction 23.2 mpg).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwork50 View Post
What does it cost to re-gear?
Gears: 150-225
Install kit: 200
Labor: 300-350
OTD ~ $650

Or you can get a CAI 250, headers 350 and then you are already at the price of a re-gear. Best thing is with the re-gear you do not get the damn annoying freaking exhaust sound, mines starting to really bug the shit outta me.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
the reason why i ask is that is what i want to regear my truck to. I have 35's with 6 inch lift i am just wondering how much mpg i am going to loose on long trips.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Almost there

If you go with gears that fall within the factory ranges, with all the modifications you have, you mileage should stay damn identical....the major difference is you will get your power back. I think guys with V6 and 35's are going with 4.56 (IIRC) and are very happy with the results.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

Glad someone finally listened to me
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post

Glad someone finally listened to me
Ya Connor, your the person I listened to about this lol
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

Well at least I did the convincing part to get you to actually do it....right?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post

Well at least I did the convincing part to get you to actually do it....right?
No, you just pushed me to finally get it done after having the locker for 10 months and the gears for 3 or so lol
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
yeah dude!! thats awesome! i geared my truck and i love every second of driving it! it feels like the truck doesnt work hard at all anymore and soo muchh torque! i have 4.88s tho, not 4.56 but im sure those are just as great!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
I got stock 4.56 gears
Your one of the few lucky ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
I love my 4.88s .
I could not imagine driving everyday with 4.88 on the freeway, I am extremely happy that I went with the 4.56 though you did not make the decision very easy haha
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
No, you just pushed me to finally get it done after having the locker for 10 months and the gears for 3 or so lol
Well see there you have it. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't be pushing power again! Everything would still be sitting in the garage....Speaking of which, I should probably give you back your jack and jack stands sometime soon..kinda wanna re-do my wheels and do my suspension work first but who knows when I'll have time to get to that!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Almost there

I need to change my hub with a new one cause I have a feeling my wheel bearings are going to lock up on me soon, but I am way to lazy to do so. Then I also have to install the compressor so I can use the locker...god I wish I had initiative.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:

Ahahaha i know it man! And wait till i convert to 4wd.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #20
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I could not imagine driving everyday with 4.88 on the freeway, I am extremely happy that I went with the 4.56 though you did not make the decision very easy haha
Ya I don't do to much highway. It sounds like you went the right route. Congrats!