Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Air Intake System Suggestions for 4 Banger?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Air Intake System Suggestions for 4 Banger?

Was checking out autoanything... AFE looks like the one I would go with. K&N is pretty pricey. Do you 2.7 guys have air intake? If so, what kind and can you tell a difference? MPGs, Performance, Sound, Etc.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
AFE drop in filter FTW.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Filter only?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yup. It's a million mile filter...and the stock intake already draws cold air from the wheel well. Might as well save the cash.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yup. AFE drop in and charcoal filter delete. Maybe you can use an smoother aftermarket tube but a full intake is not worth it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
My take is most members here modify their stock intake. There is also some dyno testing to support the stock/mod route. The AFE dry filter is popuplar. I chose the K&N panel and removed the factory snorkel from the fender well. This significantly opened the intake. The most popular mod seems to be the deckplate mod.

As far as my observation, the truck seemed to sound "throatier". The power seems very good with nice torque, I really can't give a fair before and after comparison. But I haven't invested a lot either; just a performance proven, durable filter .
Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
Interesting. I was going to get AT LEAST the AFE filter if I didn't do the whole intake system...Excellent point though. So I will at least be getting that now
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Well, idk yet but my route(in about a week) is i have already bought an AFE pro dry S drop in and im going to go ahead and get rid of the secondary air filter. and it should be really good. basically just as good as a CAI but i got my filter for 30 bucks new
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
woah secondary air filter? wtf?

And how is this air filter cleaned? air? hose?

Sorry I feel like a huge noob right now. a new feeling to me lol
Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
woah secondary air filter? wtf?

And how is this air filter cleaned? air? hose?

Sorry I feel like a huge noob right now. a new feeling to me lol
No worries man. Yeah its a charcoal filter to lower emissions. you can take it out and it will really open up your airway, supposedly 1-2mpg better and some better power. and the AFE Pro Dry S is a dry filter obviously. you can clean it with a vaccum.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html
Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The secondary filter absorbs any escaping fumes from the intake manifold. You can't really clean it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
Okay so according to that and this thread, I should be able to get a away with removing the charcoal filter then replacing the reg filter with the AFE one and be good to go?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The secondary filter absorbs any escaping fumes from the intake manifold. You can't really clean it.
I didnt say clean it? i said ttake that out and you are able to Clean the AFE pro Dry S
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz94 View Post
I didnt say clean it? i said ttake that out and you are able to Clean the AFE pro Dry S
I was responding to norcal4banger.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
I understood. I was talking about the AFE drop in filter but that has been answered also.

I guess this weekend I'll be replacing my air filter with the AFE one and will also be removing the charcoal filter. Man...I got like 4-5 mods this weekend to do. Thank you everyone
Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Thread Jacker

schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
I understood. I was talking about the AFE drop in filter but that has been answered also.

I guess this weekend I'll be replacing my air filter with the AFE one and will also be removing the charcoal filter. Man...I got like 4-5 mods this weekend to do. Thank you everyone
No problem man. report your findings as always
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
LC Header! You will GAIN torque AND horsepower.

Intake system will NOT do anything performance wise, besides making your truck louder.

You can do free intake system mods...

1, remove secondary air filter
2, remove resonator which is located in the fender

Drop in filters, don't add horsepower or torque either. It's all BS Stock filter is the best, because it protects your engine the best from any foreign particles or debris. I would rather sacrifice the 0.25rwhp - 0.5rwhp which by the way will only be noticed at WOT and protect my expensive engine...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
Science!

I don't care about the performance gains. It's just nice to have a filter that I will never have to change again. All I have to do is keep it clean.

And I would be careful about removing your secondary charcoal filter if you're from CA. I've heard you may have issues passing emissions. At the very least, I would hold onto the secondary filter once you remove it, and then reinstall before getting inspected.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
Yeah now I'm thinking about just doing the AFE filter only now. Same reason, just so I wont have to replace the filter. I would hate to go thru a bunch of crap to pass smog. I love california...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
huff.jeremy will become famous soon enoughhuff.jeremy will become famous soon enough

huff.jeremy's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=08WhiteTaco;2809636]Intake system will NOT do anything performance wise, besides making your truck louder.[QUOTE]

Based on my reading and experience: Whether an intake mod increases horsepower is completely relative. The stock intake may have restrictions that could increase power once removed, and subsequent changes in air velocity could raise or lower power as well, depending on the size and lenght of the runners.

If you focus only on installing a free flowing exhaust, you may not get the full potential power out of that setup if the intake is not expanded... what goes out must first come in.