Notices

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
siilvitol is on a distinguished road
Name: Silvio Arturo
siilvitol's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to siilvitol
tire pressure sensor problem

Yesterday, me and a friend made the changes of rims, of a tacoma's friend and my tacoma, but we dont change the pressure sensor, driving like 20 miles and the ligth of tire pressure turn on. reading the owners manual, i have to program this sensor whit the ECU, can i do it my self??? or its better if i change the pressure sensor??? please give me comments
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
siilvitol is on a distinguished road
Name: Silvio Arturo
siilvitol's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to siilvitol
and the programing how it is??? the five minutes, what i have to do?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by siilvitol View Post
Yesterday, me and a friend made the changes of rims, of a tacoma's friend and my tacoma, but we dont change the pressure sensor, driving like 20 miles and the ligth of tire pressure turn on. reading the owners manual, i have to program this sensor whit the ECU, can i do it my self??? or its better if i change the pressure sensor??? please give me comments
It would be physically easier to have the sensor reprogrammed by a Toyota dealership than breaking the tire bead from the wheel to get to the sensor. Toyota or someone that has the reprogramming tool can do this, it is not the little button under the steering wheel. You can not set the new sensors to you truck with out the special programing tool.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #24
Hardtooree Member
Blackbear is on a distinguished road
Blackbear's Tacoma Gallery
The TPMS gadget requirement is government's automotive equivalent to buying $600 hammers and $1000 toilet seats...an entirely absurd response to the level of need.

A tire guage costs about $2, checking one's tire pressure is ridiculously easy and doing so costs nothing but a minute of time. On the other hand, TPMS go for $106 each at the dealer, cost about $100 to reprogram at the dealer (not a DIY thing), matter not an ounce in 99% of driving situations, and except for that rare 1% of unforseen happenstance they do absolutely nothing except cost money and...oh yeah, check your tire pressure. Hmmm let's see, a $2 tire guage and a 1-2 minute walk around your vehicle every few weeks, or $424 (more if include the spare) and a $100 trip to your dealer so they can take 5 minutes to pad their profit margin. Tough call.

Common sense says check your tires/tire pressures periodically. Our elected officials say lets force TPMS down the public's throat since it looks better politically. No surprises here. But, a letter to your congressmen might help re-establish common sense.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
jloe is on a distinguished road
Name: john
jloe's Tacoma Gallery
I did pipe bomb mod on mine,works great no light.Now I can change wheels (summer) to (winter) alloys to steelies without Toyota reaching into my back pocket.If the sensors were reasonably priced and there was no reprogramming fee I would be on board.After all who owns my truck? The government,Toyota or me.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #26
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
Might look into that. For the time being I will just trust my $5 tire gauge.

I switched to the Fj cruiser wheels and I do exactly what the others said. I ignore the light and use my trusty tire gauge as well. Works just fine. Mights just put some black tape over it if I can figure out plexi panel removel.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #27
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
I have chosen to ignore my TPMS. It depends on the driver of the vehicle. If you are in tune with your ride you really don't need a light to tell you that you're losing tire pressure. I dislike the TPMS.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #28
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
The reason for the now required Tire Pressure Monitoring System on all makes and models is b/c in a national State Highway Patrol survey over 34% of cars on the side of the highway were from flat tires. Just b/c "you" check your tire pressure doesn't mean everybody does. In reality every time you drive your vehicle you should check proper oil level, tire pressures, and lug nut torque. But not everyone has the time to do that at every startup.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #29
Hardtooree Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
The reason for the now required Tire Pressure Monitoring System on all makes and models is b/c in a national State Highway Patrol survey over 34% of cars on the side of the highway were from flat tires. Just b/c "you" check your tire pressure doesn't mean everybody does. In reality every time you drive your vehicle you should check proper oil level, tire pressures, and lug nut torque. But not everyone has the time to do that at every startup.

Flat Tire Fear Syndrome? Wow, now I've heard everything. Sorry and no offense intended, but that's about as lame an excuse for a forced unnecessary expensive federal rule as I've seen in a while...and in my line of work I see quite a few of them. What's next, a wiper blade flexibility meter thingy? Or maybe a steering wheel pressure sensor indicator to make sure our hands stay on the wheel while we drive?

It's driver's choice to be lazy or to be safe and legislating silly rules at the consumer's expense simply waste's money with no real benefit. Big pain, no gain.

My TPMS gadgets are currently tucked away neatly in a wheelbarrow wheel in the corner of my garage, all nicely pressurized and working flawlessly. It's absolutely amazing how they keep me 'safe' while I drive my truck around town...no flat tires or emergency blowouts at all. Still, I do check my tire pressures when I wash the truck about every few weeks, just to be sure I don't forget how to read a tire guage (pretty complicated stuff). Say, maybe I could become a tire pressure sensor technician for the government! I here it's good work when you can get it.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:07 AM   #31
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
The first pneumatic tire was leather-covered and invented in 1845.

thats 160 years of people not being retards and knowing when their tires look low, they probably need air.

welcome to the nanny state
Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #32
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Last winter the sensor in the spare let me know that it was low on air. They are usefull in some respects. But the cost of reprogramming is absurd. If you ruin a sensor they can be found on e-bay and craigslist for a lot less than a dealer wants. I have seen them a low as $99 for a full set. Not there all the time but be patient.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
rjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud ofrjlem has much to be proud of
Name: Rick
rjlem's Tacoma Gallery
For what it's worth my 2011 has only 4. I was under there for the first time today. Normal rubber valve stem on the spare.

I also bought a Gen 1 regular cab tire crank, much easier than the erector set that comes from the factory.

Hangs on the pegboard next to my spare tire for our Miata.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #34
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
1moonshine2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
The TPMS gadget requirement is government's automotive equivalent to buying $600 hammers and $1000 toilet seats...an entirely absurd response to the level of need.

A tire guage costs about $2, checking one's tire pressure is ridiculously easy and doing so costs nothing but a minute of time. On the other hand, TPMS go for $106 each at the dealer, cost about $100 to reprogram at the dealer (not a DIY thing), matter not an ounce in 99% of driving situations, and except for that rare 1% of unforseen happenstance they do absolutely nothing except cost money and...oh yeah, check your tire pressure. Hmmm let's see, a $2 tire guage and a 1-2 minute walk around your vehicle every few weeks, or $424 (more if include the spare) and a $100 trip to your dealer so they can take 5 minutes to pad their profit margin. Tough call.

Common sense says check your tires/tire pressures periodically. Our elected officials say lets force TPMS down the public's throat since it looks better politically. No surprises here. But, a letter to your congressmen might help re-establish common sense.
Letters to the government accomplish nothing but a waste of paper and time...

The TPMS is about money, not safety. Just like emissions controls, seat belts, air bags, global warming, the CFC ozone crap, and many other money wasting government boondoggles.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #35
Hardtooree Member
[QUOTE=1moonshine2;3046117]Letters to the government accomplish nothing but a waste of paper and time...

Are you saying that stupid government rules go away if you simply ignore them? Sounds like you work for the government.

About the only thing that politicians DO pay attention to is the possibility of losing votes, so write a letter, make a call, make some noise, resist rolling over. It can't hurt.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #36
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moonshine2 View Post
Letters to the government accomplish nothing but a waste of paper and time...

The TPMS is about money, not safety. Just like emissions controls, seat belts, air bags, global warming, the CFC ozone crap, and many other money wasting government boondoggles.
Just when I thought I would be able to put it away... You make me bring out my spray can of Troll-Be-Gone. Damn you!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
tacoman89 is on a distinguished road
tacoman89's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I for one hate this system and don't enjoy tending to its every need. My truck as just over 3400kms, yes thats right 3,400. That stupid light won't shut off...I have had all the tires checked, and re checked...I have reset the light and a day or so later, it pops back on...Non of the tires look flat or have lost pressure from one day to the next. I will be going to my dealer, but its a two hour drive and I don't feel like going there for some idiot to press the button, reset the light and send me home only for it to turn on again. I am very frustrated with it and am seriously contemplating removing the bulb. This is a brand new vehicle and it shouldn't be doing that. I have had cars with far less tread on them than this with never a problem. I kind of miss my Camry now :'(
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #38
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
90% of the problems with TPMS is user error.

Set all 5 tires at proper pressure, press and hold button until the light blinks THREE times. If that doesn't work, you have a problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #39
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
Love this forum... I was cleaning my floor mats yesterday, and saw the reset button under the steering wheel..

Hmmmm, what's that? So checked owners manual, didn't even know I had this system in my truck. Been checking posts this morning so I can learn what it's all about,

Thanks everyone for your posts, I have leaned about 5 years of info in 30 min by reading conversations.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #40
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS is a complete waste.
How are they going to help if I can drive over 15 miles away from them before the light starts blinking to tell me I have low pressure?
Or are you going to try & tell me they were built with a transmitting range of over 15 miles?
If you start losing air you're going to be running on the rim if you wait for the light to come on.