Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I had a blow out yesterday when I hit some scrap metal in the road. I was scheduled to get my truck serviced today anyway so I had the dealership swap my spare tire onto the regular rim, and I am just gonna by a used tire for a spare for now. Anyway the tech said I ruined my tire sensor in the blow out. He said he would have to look up the price of the sensor, but that it would cost 85 bucks just to program it !!!! Is this right???? If I just ignore the yellow warning light on the dash am I correct that it will not effect anything else?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Ya it serves no mechanical purpose. Lots of guys who have new rims just choose to ignore it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
That's good to know.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Might look into that. For the time being I will just trust my $5 tire gauge.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i love my TPMS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
i love my TPMS!!!!!!!!!!
Your kidding right? If not your the first person I've heard of that likes it. Wait till you need to get new ones or need them reprogrammed....then see how much you like them.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Your kidding right? If not your the first person I've heard of that likes it. Wait till you need to get new ones or need them reprogrammed....then see how much you like them.
they saved me from trashing a tire....and why would i need to get them replaced because if they fault out i will just put a piece if electrical tape over the light.....or remove the led better yet

so far im liking the tpms they saved me a tire
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine too! I imagine it's pretty hard to trash the tire hard enough to ruin the TPMS too. It let me know that I had a slow leak in one tire and that I had to keep checking it. Works fine for me.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
I agree with him- I check my tires weekly or so...but while driving from Pensacola to New Orleans I drove over a sheetrock blade on the road and didn't know it. 4 inch gash in the tire and a moderate pace leak. That tire heated up like CRAZY and probably would have parted pretty quickly-cept the light came on and I pulled over to look at it. Saved me a blown out tire at 70 or 75mph with a fully loaded truck...
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Livin' the taco life
jcemitte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
jcemitte's Tacoma Gallery
I like them because my wife knows that if the light comes on she needs to go to the closest gas station and air them up. and i dont have to do anything, its like automated service
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
My tpm light is on, one of them must be out, the pressure is ok. I've driven 50 years without them so I guess I'll just ignore the light. Seems like the politicians just drool over ways to protect us....and it costs us money every time.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #13

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
My tpm light is on, one of them must be out, the pressure is ok. I've driven 50 years without them so I guess I'll just ignore the light. Seems like the politicians just drool over ways to protect us....and it costs us money every time.
could be the spare....unless they did away with tpms in the spare that year....as i may remember reading that
Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
could be the spare....unless they did away with tpms in the spare that year....as i may remember reading that
its either all 2007+ or 2008+ have 5 TPMS sensors total
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #15

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
its either all 2007+ or 2008+ have 5 TPMS sensors total
my 06 has five
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
my 06 has five
maybe its 06, idk for sure but im almost positive 2005 doesnt have them
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #17

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i searched and found that 09+ have four TPMS

check the spare nagleg
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:

check the spare nagleg
i have a 2010 and mine has 5, so idk what to tell you
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:

check the spare nagleg
Spare is ok....things are a POS, and now I see there is a recall on them.
I don't mind the light. I check the pressure myself.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I agree with him- I check my tires weekly or so...but while driving from Pensacola to New Orleans I drove over a sheetrock blade on the road and didn't know it. 4 inch gash in the tire and a moderate pace leak. That tire heated up like CRAZY and probably would have parted pretty quickly-cept the light came on and I pulled over to look at it. Saved me a blown out tire at 70 or 75mph with a fully loaded truck...
I agree it can be usefull and save you from ruining a tire if it gets low, but they are to expensive for what they do. Even before I had this sensor go bad I checked the pressure in my tires once a week while filling the tank just like I have done on every vehicle I have owned for years. I will just continue doing that for now.