Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Adjusting valves on 2.7

Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
bgdeer1 has a spectacular aura aboutbgdeer1 has a spectacular aura aboutbgdeer1 has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: gunna
bgdeer1's Tacoma Gallery
Adjusting valves on 2.7

Does this require shims? Or adjusting screws?

If anyone knows any info on this I would appreciate greatly.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its a shim under bucket valve system, so you need the shims. I havent seen any that needed adjusting myself, even after a couple hundred thousand miles.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
bgdeer1 has a spectacular aura aboutbgdeer1 has a spectacular aura aboutbgdeer1 has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: gunna
bgdeer1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its a shim under bucket valve system, so you need the shims. I havent seen any that needed adjusting myself, even after a couple hundred thousand miles.
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdeer1 View Post
Thanks!
While the 2.7 is a dohc motor, the manual says the valves are hydraulic and self-adjusting. So under normal circumstances, they will not need servicing for the life of the motor (same reason why it has a cam chain and not a belt: low maintenance).
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
While the 2.7 is a dohc motor, the manual says the valves are hydraulic and self-adjusting. So under normal circumstances, they will not need servicing for the life of the motor (same reason why it has a cam chain and not a belt: low maintenance).
Umm.....What manual is this? There are no hydraulic lifters on the Tacoma engines.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I remember reading it in the service specifications in my owner's manual somewhere...

Here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-confirm.html

Plus, when searching www.toyotapartsandservice.com for Tacoma 60k and 120k service, this is what comes (up among other things of course):
"Inspect the following: Engine valve clearance (except Tacoma with 2TR-FE)"
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
I remember reading it in the service specifications in my owner's manual somewhere...

Here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-confirm.html

Plus, when searching www.toyotapartsandservice.com for Tacoma 60k and 120k service, this is what comes (up among other things of course):
"Inspect the following: Engine valve clearance (except Tacoma with 2TR-FE)"
Ok...The OP has the 3RZ-FE
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ok...The OP has the 3RZ-FE
Hmmm, I did not see anything about the year of his truck or the motor being a 3rz. And I keep forgetting there was a 2.7 before the 2tr. Anyway, looks like this thread's info on the 2.7 will help those with the 2tr and the 3rz! Thx Chris
Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Hmmm, I did not see anything about the year of his truck or the motor being a 3rz. And I keep forgetting there was a 2.7 before the 2tr. Anyway, looks like this thread's info on the 2.7 will help those with the 2tr and the 3rz! Thx Chris
The year is listed in his info. And I was unaware of the 2tr having hydraulic valve lash adjusters.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
open her up and have a look guys... see anything you can adjust here? I don't... see waldo anywhere?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

Old 03-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
The 2TR-FE 2.7 L 4-cylinder used in the 2005 and newer Tacoma has automatic valve lash adjustment. I don't know about the older 2.7, I do know the 2.4 L used shims.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

Well since i have my motor apart i decided to look for a shim clearance procedure... Googled 2rz/3rz lifters; and voila

http://www.yotatech.com/f128/5vz-fe-...t-tech-226997/
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post
Well since i have my motor apart i decided to look for a shim clearance procedure... Googled 2rz/3rz lifters; and voila

I am going to attempt the valve check on my 3rz 2.7 on my 2000 tacoma. What els should I do in there once I am in there ?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #15

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post

So is the exhaust clearence best to put at 015 as they say on that write up ?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #16

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
I am setting them all at 012 in case anyone wants to know lol my michanic ordered the exhaust valves and they were $20 each so in the end its about a $450 job