1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 2.7 -- auto VS standard --

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by maxpower29, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Sorry if its been asked before (if so link?)
    All in all, final answer, what would you honestly rather have? Just trying to decide myself. I always liked auto trucks and feel you enjoy it more, but standard vehicles were always what I bought.

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    The way I think about it is like this:
    The smaller the vehicle and/or smaller the engine, the more I want a manual trans.
    When I am driving a 4 cyl, I prefer a manual so that I can get as much power out of it as I can by holding it in it's power curve rather than an automatic trans. deciding when and where to shift. I also feel like I am more in control with a manual trans.

I don't like a manual in a big vehicle like a half ton or bigger truck because usually they feel sluggish to me because there is a lot of weight going back and forth when shifting, usually from first to second is the worse...that's just me.

I think if I would have gotten an extend cab Tacoma, I would have still gotten the 5 speed, but may have gone with an automatic on a double cab....I can be picky.

Best thing to do is go test drive both and see what you like. Take both on the interstate or at least try to get it up to speed and drive it like you honestly would.

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Ya thats what I did. I feel like I want the 5-speed but I didnt really like the driving of it. Felt a bit weird coming from a sports car. Meh, still testing them though, not gonna jump the gun early until im 100% sure

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Tacovendor

Tacovendor Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    4x4x4cyl
    Just wait!
    I'm driving a stick and my son just got an auto,stick has more pep the the auto is less hassle!

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    HogTaco

HogTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 2.7 2WD AT
    Bed Mat, OEM Running Boards, Ultra-Gauge.
    Think about how you drive. If you have lots of stop n go traffic, like to talk on your cell, smoke, or eat while you drive, a manual doesn't make much sense. I have the 4-speed auto and it's fine. Wasn't expecting much out of the 2.7, but it pulls pretty good. I've had manuals in other 4-cyl trucks, too.

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    I do all the above with the 5 speed lol

If you can deal with the ridiculous gearing and sometimes clunky feel, I'd say go with the manual, more control, keep the truck in the power band generally more fun to drive.

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    2007 tacoma

2007 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab
    16" Alloys, K&N intake, Class III Hitch, US Truck Cap Rack, Carpeted Bed Mat, WeatherTechs, SeatSaver covers, Many more in the works
    Long story short first:

Final answer:

I'm a lifelong clutch user, but I'm glad I got the automatic overall. It doesn't have the performance of the manual, but it's not far off the mark. Then it's freed me up to talk on my phone, drink my coffee, change my CD's, you name it. I enjoy driving my Tacoma.

If you're looking at 4x4 with a 2.7, go with a manual. If you're looking at a 4x2 you won't take Off Road seriously, the automatic is an excellent choice too.

This man summed it up well with his 2.7L 4x2:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/139837-traction-control-09-tacoma.html#post2738133

-------------------------

Background:

This is the first automatic I've owned in 22 years.

Between a 5MT & 4AT -- it's all in the gear ratios.

The 4AT winds up having a higher final drive ratio than the 5MT. The way they have the 4 speed automatic geared, it will not have any problems at highway speeds.

First gear is lower with the 5MT though so you have more off the line power and the gears are spaced closer together so you can get up to speed faster. You can also control your RPM ranges and take advantage of the valve timings you want. (work the VVT-i)

The automatic will be more sluggish off the line and the RPM's will drop more during gear changes. Still though, I'm pleased with it.

Even though the 5MT would have more take off, I don't think anyone should be ashamed at having a 4AT. I'm not. I was hesitant at buying one at first, but after a thorough test drive in many different situations (interstate acceleration, cruising speeds, leaving a stop light, lane changing, etc --- the Toyota dealer was getting a bit annoyed with me I test drove it so much) I went with it.

Someone with an identical truck with a 5MT that knows how to drive it would be able to beat me red light to red light, but that's not why I got it. IMHO the 4AT gets from red light to red light just fine.

As an unscientific and unofficial hill climbing test with the automatic when I went to see my Dad once. Instead of taking the state roads I went up and over the ~2000 ft summit of the local mountain. (it's paved) The Tacoma took it in stride. Sometimes it would need some extra oomph, but it never really went above 3000-3500 rpm -- right around max torque. Much of the time it just kept the torque converter unlocked and pulled. I really think the transmission control unit is programmed extremely well in the Tacoma. It understands how the engine is tuned. Probably why 4AT owners are fine having the auto. The gear ratios I think are spot on too.

I'm pleased having my first automatic.

Gear ratios are available here:
    http://www.cars.com/toyota/tacoma/2011/specs/?acode=USC10TOT094A0
    Choose the trim level and then click "See Specs" beside the transmission.

Alternatively, it's a bit dated, but we're still talking 2nd gen. Just about everything is in a PDF here:

http://www.toyota.com/upfitters/pdfs/specs/2009TacomaProductSpecs.pdf

I've always liked the fun that can be had with a manual and after driving one for so long I'd gotten where gear changes were almost involuntary. They just happened as a part of driving without me thinking about them. That coffee taste really good on the way to work now though.

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    The 4cyl engine and transmission is used in commercial trucks all over the world so it definatly not going to feel and shift like any car. You are going to feel the gears catch and whine but you just have to get used that sort of feel. It does great for me in traffic because I can crawl along, and I have great engine control in the snow.

As always drive both if you can and I agree with others above. The auto on the V6 i great I'm not sure how the 4 speed on the 4cyl is but seems dependable and enough for a 2wd.

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I got the manual and love it. Geared kinda high, I hit the govenor in 4th when getting in the aggressive traffic. I can talk eat or change CD's between gears no prob. Def prefer the manual with 4wd. I have also enjoyed it in bumper to bumper traffic hauling a trailer. Just kept it in 1st and let the idle pull me along. Ended up having to do that for over an hour. Pulled up hills on idle no prob.

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Manual 100%. Though it is difficult to gauge how much you like or dislike the 5 speed when test driving because the transmission becomes much smoother over time. Yes, it is a bit rough when it's brand new, but after 10-15k, I've noticed how much smoother it shifts.

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy!
    I think the manual, but someone touched on this up above - it depends what you are looking at: 4x4 or 4x2.

Someone broke down the gearing and the way torque was multiplied using the manual and its corresponding gearing and the auto and its gearing.

If you are planning on doing some roading, get the manual. It has a higher gear ratio so it means you'll get more low-end torque, which is important if you're going off-road. If you are just looking at a basic 4x2 vehicle, then the low-end torque would not be as critical.

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    monti

monti Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    none yet...
    I have the manual with only about 1300 miles on it. I drive in the city with plenty of hills, stop n' go traffic and many idiot drivers all around me causing me to downshift at any given moment. That being said, I've had a few f**k ups here and there, but overall, it's been pretty easy to get used to. I really love driving this truck as a manual and it seems that it would be kinda lame if it were an auto. But it's all preference.

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i drove both, felt the auto was a dog, the stick it more like a dog that was whipped. its a 4 banger, not a speed racer, but the 5 speed is more fun, allows you to keep the gear you need for what you are doing. as far as being hands free to drink coffee, phone, and change cd's, thats what the knees are for holding the wheel while your hands are occupied slamming gears and coffee at the same time.

14. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    Yota1

Yota1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is also a clunky shift, i feel that it is rarely a smooth shifting unless you shift under 1500k, which in new england, every 100 feet is a hill just doest work. its a truck.

15. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the opinions guys!

16. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    radioactivemint

radioactivemint Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4x4
    I have an automatic transmission on my 4x4 reg cab, and I love it. Very smooth and plenty of power for my needs. As a poster up above mentioned, they really got the programming right.

17. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    Fast1

Fast1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    I'd much prefer an auto for my driving since I have to deal with allot of stop and go freeway commuter traffic on a daily basis. The auto wasn't available a few years back so the manual 4 sits in my garage. The shift kit does make it more tolerable and shortens up the throws considerably.

Also for offroad in the mountains I've found the auto easier to navigate with.

18. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    Vrbas

Vrbas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    I hear you. I came from a 99 WS-6 Trans Am with head and cam work, thing was fast as bawls (6 speed btw). But i still went with the 5 speed and i'm happy with it. I love being in more control of what gear i'm in and it always gives me something to do when i drive (i'm a very kinesthetic person). In the end, I'd rather drive a 100hp manual than a 300hp auto, guess i'm just weird like that :eek:

Plus, manuals are just darn spiffier than automatics. Am i right? AM I RIGHT!? I'm right.

19. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Oh car wise, I would never want an auto. Plain boring. But when Im driving a truck I dont mind. I like to enjoy the rride. But it all depends really

20. Mar 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Where? and what one is best? do you find a shift kit?

Products Discussed in

To Top