Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Better clutch for 2TR

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
DesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud ofDesertRat has much to be proud of
Name: Dan
DesertRat's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with you OP. I never liked the feel of my clutch from day one. Sub'd, I wish you good luck on the install.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Not everyone would agree with this. I, for one, will NOT agree with this. My clutch works very well.

I think that there may be more than one OEM clutch on these vehicles. I don't agree with ANY of the complaints you've mentioned.
You most likely have the aisin clutch, which is why you would think it is ok...during 08 they switched to the LUK discs which have been giving 08-10 owners problems. Now it has been switched back to the aisin.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #23
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Eh, my 2006 stock clutch feels like crap too. Weakest I've ever driven. I hope it last forever just because I don't wanna have to change ANY clutch. But when it inevitably goes something stronger is going in.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #24
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Mines a 2011 too and feels fine, must be aisin
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #25
crashnrondo is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
crashnrondo's Tacoma Gallery
Is there anyway to tell by the build date what clutch you have?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #26
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any issues with Throwout bearing noise on your truck? I'm surprised no one has brought that up yet. You should install the input shaft sleeve kit while you have the truck apart since that input shaft is freaking aluminum.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
Do you have any issues with Throwout bearing noise on your truck? I'm surprised no one has brought that up yet. You should install the input shaft sleeve kit while you have the truck apart since that input shaft is freaking aluminum.
I thought the aluminum input shaft was only on the 6 speed manual.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I thought the aluminum input shaft was only on the 6 speed manual.
You are correct. Sorry, didn't realize this was in the 4 cylinder section. I will shut up now.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #29
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
You are correct. Sorry, didn't realize this was in the 4 cylinder section. I will shut up now.
NP, You had me wondering there for a second...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you have the flywheel resurfaced. It's worth the cost/time. You'll either need a tool to hold the flywheel, or an impact to break the bolts.

LC engineering has three differant clutch kits available for the 2tr. Ranging from $324-379. They vary in disc material, pedal effort, clamping force, and driving style.

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...E-94A9FED50680

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...B-D317905260EA

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...8-83BC03D05193
Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
aight so i finally installed this thing yesterday, gonna do a write up on it shortly
Hows the new clutch feel?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #33
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen ftw! 215k miles and stock clutch!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #35
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
How progressive is the take up? Is the friction point wider than stock? Is friction point closer to floor?
Thanks,
Motoretro

Quote:
new clutch feels great! a little harder then the stock one but the grab is a lot better! Feels like a completely new truck, doesnt have that mushy feeling to it
Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #38
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
How progressive is the take up? Is the friction point wider than stock? Is friction point closer to floor?
Thanks,
Motoretro
i think the release point feels like its in the same place but its the grab of it when it releases that is noticable. The stock clutch almost feels like it has no real release point, its kinda like it just slips into gear smoothly instead of popping into gear. The new one has a lot better ingage point to it, you can actually feel the release point on it and the pedal has a lot more spring out to it. Nothing like a 6 puck or anything but much better then stock!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #39
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply and description.
Motoretro

Quote:
i think the release point feels like its in the same place but its the grab of it when it releases that is noticable. The stock clutch almost feels like it has no real release point, its kinda like it just slips into gear smoothly instead of popping into gear. The new one has a lot better ingage point to it, you can actually feel the release point on it and the pedal has a lot more spring out to it. Nothing like a 6 puck or anything but much better then stock!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #40
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I found this thread. Sub'd. I had an issue with my throwout bearing from day one. I drove it like that for two years. I had the stage 1 LCE clutch put in while I was down range, and from what I was told it was a miracle it lasted that long w/o damaging anything. Hopefully when I reunite with my Taco everything is sound. Congrats on a great find btw!!