Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Better clutch for 2TR

Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #81
beechmon is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
beechmon's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up doing the clutch, and found that for OEM replacement, AUtozone hooked it up with the throwout bearing for $100. couldn't beat that anywhere.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #82
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
That's great price......Are you happy with the action and release point?, Where was it made?
Thanks, Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechmon View Post
I ended up doing the clutch, and found that for OEM replacement, AUtozone hooked it up with the throwout bearing for $100. couldn't beat that anywhere.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #83
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #84
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechmon View Post
I went with an Brute Power clutch which is the kit's that Autozone sells. Picked it up from Rock Auto for $96 with our 5% discount. In all i spent a little over $200 with the purchase of a URD short throw.

Good write up OP
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #85
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryota View Post
Thanks for the write up!!!
No problem man. Hope it helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
I went with an Brute Power clutch which is the kit's that Autozone sells. Picked it up from Rock Auto for $96 with our 5% discount. In all i spent a little over $200 with the purchase of a URD short throw.

Clutch bites good & pedal feel did not change

Good write up OP
Hmmmmmm I wonder what the life of the clutch will be like. And thank u for the kind words sir.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #86
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles were on your clutch when you replaced it? Sorry could be in the thread but i'm feeling lazy. I have almost 100,000 miles on my taco (wow, seems like just yesterday I bought her new) and sometimes my clutch feels like it's slipping a little, but most time it still feels just like when it was brand new
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #87
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfaded View Post
How many miles were on your clutch when you replaced it? Sorry could be in the thread but i'm feeling lazy. I have almost 100,000 miles on my taco (wow, seems like just yesterday I bought her new) and sometimes my clutch feels like it's slipping a little, but most time it still feels just like when it was brand new
140k for me
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #88
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
throw out bearing started making noise first, then the clutch slipped while trying to get out of some really soft sand and it was releasing really high so I figured it was time.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #89
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I replaced mine at about 40k. It all depends on what clutch you got. Toyota installed 2 different clutches, 1 had no problems, 1 had many problems. Some people will say their clutch started slipping at 5k, some say it has never slipped.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #90
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
after 140k

IN WITH THE NEW

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #91
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #92
SwimNdrive is on a distinguished road
SwimNdrive's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=nj636;6842959]

Thanks OP. This is a very good write up. It will be very helpful for me when I change my clutch. As a matter of fact, I could not find another DIY thread on clutch replacement for 2nd Gen. Taco on this forum or ToyotaNation.

Hi nj636, I need to replace my clutch now. But performance is not something in my mind. I want to get a clutch kit that is reliable and long lasting at a reasonable price. Just wondering how your new clutch is doing? How many miles on it now? If it works OK with you, I may just get the same or similar.

I heard some models of AISIN are good and others are not so good. Rockauto has one listed (CTK056) at a good price. I am not sure if that's the good model to have. Anyone has any experience on this? Appreciate your responds. Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #93
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS

[QUOTE=SwimNdrive;8090071]
Quote:

Thanks OP. This is a very good write up. It will be very helpful for me when I change my clutch. As a matter of fact, I could not find another DIY thread on clutch replacement for 2nd Gen. Taco on this forum or ToyotaNation.

Hi nj636, I need to replace my clutch now. But performance is not something in my mind. I want to get a clutch kit that is reliable and long lasting at a reasonable price. Just wondering how your new clutch is doing? How many miles on it now? If it works OK with you, I may just get the same or similar.

I heard some models of AISIN are good and others are not so good. Rockauto has one listed (CTK056) at a good price. I am not sure if that's the good model to have. Anyone has any experience on this? Appreciate your responds. Thanks
no problem man. Just giving back to the community a lil bit. Its actually a pretty easy install. Once you take everything apart, its a lot easier to put everything back together. Hardest part is probably getting the trans off its pins.

Aight well i reached a point where my clutch is no longer doing it for me. I abuse it quite often, mostly through offroading and on my last outing i was doing a lot of slow rock crawling at steep angles and my clutch started slipping real bad. Did it consistently all weekend and made easier obstacles tricky and frustrating to say the least. haha good thing though is it doesnt slip at all street driving so i know its not trashed but has gotten too weak to hold the torque between my 35s and 4.88 gears.

Sooooooooooooo after calling and talking with someone at LCEngineering, i ordered their Dual Comp clutch. Its a very similar clutch to the Centerforce in that it has 2 different compounds on either side of the disk and a heavy duty pressure plate. The guy told me that he wouldnt recommend this clutch to someone that daily drives their truck because of its stiffness and the fact that it doesnt slip but because i have been riding on this clutch for so long then i should be use to it. I couldnt find any other info on it but from experience with the Dual Friction clutch, im sure its gonna be a great clutch as well
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #94
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=SwimNdrive;8090071]
Quote:

replaced it May of '13 drove it until November of '13 when I sold it. Not sure on the mileage but the clutch worked great for that time. This was stock 4.11 gears on 285/70/17's and off-road/beach driving. for a daily driver I would recommend it.

[QUOTE=allmotorrex;8092238]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimNdrive View Post

no problem man. Just giving back to the community a lil bit. Its actually a pretty easy install. Once you take everything apart, its a lot easier to put everything back together. Hardest part is probably getting the trans off its pins.

Aight well i reached a point where my clutch is no longer doing it for me. I abuse it quite often, mostly through offroading and on my last outing i was doing a lot of slow rock crawling at steep angles and my clutch started slipping real bad. Did it consistently all weekend and made easier obstacles tricky and frustrating to say the least. haha good thing though is it doesnt slip at all street driving so i know its not trashed but has gotten too weak to hold the torque between my 35s and 4.88 gears.

Sooooooooooooo after calling and talking with someone at LCEngineering, i ordered their Dual Comp clutch. Its a very similar clutch to the Centerforce in that it has 2 different compounds on either side of the disk and a heavy duty pressure plate. The guy told me that he wouldnt recommend this clutch to someone that daily drives their truck because of its stiffness and the fact that it doesnt slip but because i have been riding on this clutch for so long then i should be use to it. I couldnt find any other info on it but from experience with the Dual Friction clutch, im sure its gonna be a great clutch as well
I was going to say you might need a higher clamp pressure plate.

my stick shift mustang ate the center force dual friction regularly so I tried a spec carbon semi-metallic disc & pressure plate but it was a bitch to drive on the street (too much bite/stiff pedal). I ended up compromising with the SPEC disc and center force pressure plate.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #95
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS

[QUOTE=nj636;8094041][QUOTE=SwimNdrive;8090071]
replaced it May of '13 drove it until November of '13 when I sold it. Not sure on the mileage but the clutch worked great for that time. This was stock 4.11 gears on 285/70/17's and off-road/beach driving. for a daily driver I would recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post

I was going to say you might need a higher clamp pressure plate.

my stick shift mustang ate the center force dual friction regularly so I tried a spec carbon semi-metallic disc & pressure plate but it was a bitch to drive on the street (too much bite/stiff pedal). I ended up compromising with the SPEC disc and center force pressure plate.
Yeah I'm kinda in the middle of thinking it wasn't strong enough or it was just time to change it. I think a combo of both. I slipped that clutch and burned it a few times while rock crawling with 4.10s and 33s but I never had a problem with it still catching and doing it's job. About 8 months ago is when I went to 4.88s and it still seemed fine. Then about 4 months ago I went to 35s and that's when it showed it was weak. So I think a combo of abuse and time added up to more work all of a sudden and it not already being 100%.

It's damn near impossible to do slow crawling, especially on inclines, without riding the clutch. I made that clutch slip on purpose sometimes but it turned into a problem once I got the higher gears and bigger tires. So I actually think it's strong enough to hold that torque and abuse. It just doesn't need to start when it's health is already on the decline. Haha dude at LCE said you can't slip this Dual Comp clutch and that's the main reason he wouldn't suggest it as a DD. I could slip the Centerforve clutch on the street but I had to do it on purpose and even then it would barely do it. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in this one
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #96
4cyl is on a distinguished road
4cyl's Tacoma Gallery
how do I find my ring gear size? My truck is 4wd 2.7l 5speed manual
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #98
usaftaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Dean
usaftaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
thanks man, yeah that short shifter is badass aint it!? I cant even drive another stick shift without immediately going "Damn my clutch and shifter are way better then this one"

and i like that 2012 man, black is def the hardest color on these trucks
What short shifter did you put in? Have you had any problems getting it into reverse? I have heard nothing but bad things about those short shifters going into reverse. I have been wanting to put one on my 08 reg cab 4x4, but just cant pull the trigger with all the negative reviews.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #99
bhd1223 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team Chief
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaftaco4x4 View Post
What short shifter did you put in? Have you had any problems getting it into reverse? I have heard nothing but bad things about those short shifters going into reverse. I have been wanting to put one on my 08 reg cab 4x4, but just cant pull the trigger with all the negative reviews.
Upon the initial install of the URD short shifter there were some times where it was a little more work to get into reverse. Eventually that extra effort was no longer needed. It was never as bad as my Impreza is stock.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #100
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaftaco4x4 View Post
Yeah I haven't had this problem. There are times where it won't go in reverse but its not any more common then it not wanting to shift into first sometimes. Thing ive always done is just let the clutch out and push it back in and it goes right into gear. Seems to be the same way in my 94 as well.