1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Better clutch for 2TR

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by allmotorrex, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 31, 2015 at 4:32 PM
    bwana49

bwana49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is weird, my first post disappeared and I was unable to find it so I did a second post. Now both show up?

2. Mar 31, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    single cab

single cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single cab 4x4 mt
    I love the way mine feels although it did take some getting used to

3. Mar 31, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    I have a 2009 regular cab with a 4cyl, should I be worried about the clutch or if it's gone 70,000 mi + I have a good clutch?

4. Mar 31, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex [OP] Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Yeah I think you're good. Most of the crappy ones seem to start slipping under 10k. Most under 5k.

5. Mar 31, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Oh it will slip. I loved it and it did great until I went to 35s, 4.88s and a rear locker and in one weekend rock crawling I pretty much burned it up. Haha I'm running the LCE dual comp clutch now and it holds the torque much better. Its completely different then the Centerforce dual friction

6. Apr 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM
    bwana49

bwana49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I didn't realize you changed clutches. For my use I think this will hold up. My off road use is driving to hunting camps or sites.

7. Apr 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Oh yeah man that should work great. I'm not bashing the clutch at all. I just exceeded its torque rating. You should love it

8. Apr 1, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Finally think I'm wrapping up my install tonight. Just got to put the rest of the transmission bolts on, connect wires, and then put in the cross member and skids. Let me just say there's a lot of small differences between the 6 speed and 5 speed. However now looking back at its the same concept, just have to think out of the box past the write up ;)

Oh also v6 doesn't have a pilot bearing :/

Anyways thanks for the awesome walkthrough!

9. Apr 2, 2015 at 4:18 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    No pilot bearing? I don't guess I've seen that. What does the output shaft slide into?

10. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Just into the clutch and the spot where the bearing should be. Everything that I have read says that they just beefed up the shaft on the 6 speed but I think that the lack of the pilot bearing could be a contributor to the TOB failure.

11. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Yeah I can see that. Maybe it's not sitting exactly still in the center and that little wobble just gets worse overtime and is prematurely wearing the tob out. Hmmm you might be on to something Scoobie!! Haha

12. Apr 2, 2015 at 11:54 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Great... I need help guys. I have no idea what i did wrong. Finally got everything put together and went to test out my clutch. No TOB squeek so that was good but the clutch is slipping like crazy! I went to back out letting it out slowly. It grabbed way higher than I was used to and then letting it out slightly more literally was bouncing my truck. Tried it in 1st too with the same results. I only moved it about 10 feet because I didnt want to damage it. I'm really hoping yall will say it's somethint stupid and needs to be broke in but I don't think that's gonna be the case :( im lost, any ideas??

13. Apr 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    The pedal grabbing high isn't a big deal because you can adjust the pedal height. As far as what you describe goes, sounds like clutch chatter to me. My clutch will literally not let you come out of it slow. It's especially evident in reverse where I'm not trying to drive fast. I can't go in reverse without the clutch chattering pretty bad and bouncing my truck everywhere. It doesn't sound like its slipping to me, just sounds like chatter. But out of curiousity, did you spray the flywheel and pressure plate off with brake cleaner or something to get any grease off? Also did you bleed the clutch? That may change your pedal height.

14. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that's what it feels like... Chatter... I can't believe a brand new clutch would perform like that though...

Yes I did. I was super paranoid so I cleaned it multiple times! I didn't bleed the clutch. I just pushed the lines out of the way so I didn't think I would have to.

15. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Yeah it takes a lil getting used to. I actually think it's a good thing it chatters. To me it assures it a strong clutch. Haha and you are right about bleeding it. You don't have to do it if you don't disconnect the lines. I did it on my first clutch change but I haven't done it the other times I removed the trans. I wasn't really telling you to, just suggesting that may help is something doesnt seem right. But go drive that turd and see how it does

16. Apr 3, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Unmmmm okayyy. I'm worried to let the clutch out all the way with the way it chatters. What is the break in procedure?

17. Apr 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    armyofsquirrels

armyofsquirrels Embrace the Suck!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Sykesville MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 V6 6Spd Tacoma DCSB Offroad in Pyrite Mica
    See Build Page.
    Mine still chatters after a good 6-7 months and plenty of miles... According to the shop it's just what dual comp clutches do. I don't mind it makes it sound like a real truck lol and it's only at a stop with the clutch out and in nuetral if I push in the clutch pedal it stops. As for the high grip (went up further and read) it wears down a little bit within the same time but it still grips like an alligator just you get use to how to let the clutch out differently. The stock clutch was very different from the dual comp racing clutch. Which is a good thing but it does take getting use to, I still occasionly stall it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  18. Apr 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Yeah my clutch hasn't gotten any better about the chatter but it's not supposed to. As you said, it's the nature of the beast. When I called LCE to ask how strong their dual friction clutch was he told me that he's never recommended the clutch to anyone who street drives their truck because its an "off-road" clutch meaning its basically on/off. You don't want your clutch to slip offroad.

The chatter won't get better. You just have to get used to it. I personally love the clutch, chatter or not. And yeah I'll randomly stall it as well. Especially if I'm not paying attention to a light and I'm on a slight hill or something and have to quickly push the clutch in, put it in gear and go. Haha damn rookie!!

Nessmuk likes this.
  19. Apr 7, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    armyofsquirrels

armyofsquirrels Embrace the Suck!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Sykesville MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 V6 6Spd Tacoma DCSB Offroad in Pyrite Mica
    See Build Page.
    Lol I love that clutch too. Highly recommend it. It quite literally is on/off. But such a good improvement over stock... Can't believe he doesn't recommend it for street use. I love being able to crawl in bumper to bumper traffic with it, don't like the traffic but like the lack of work it takes to move in traffic.

20. Apr 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Haven't got to test mine off road yet. I don't have a dual comp, they told me its supposed to smooth out. I don't like the chatter with it halfway out. Off road on a really steep incline I could let my stock clutch out half way and just hold myself there....

Products Discussed in

To Top