Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Sooo... Just installed my Magnaflow and aFe...

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Sooo... Just installed my Magnaflow and aFe... Edit for vids

Good news: I noticed the truck runs a LOT smoother and definitely has more power, no doubt. The butt dyno is satisfied. I removed the intake baffle from the fender well, replaced the filter with an aFe Pro Dry S, tore out the charcoal filter, replaced the muffler, and then reset the ECU so the truck would adapt. For less than $100, I'm happy.

Bad news: Holy freaking crap this thing is loud now! What Magnaflow muffler did y'all use on your 4-bangers, or did you just buy the Magnaflow cat-back? I'm running the 10425 because the dimensions were absolutely perfect and I thought it should be relatively quiet with an 18" case length and 4" case diameter. WRONG.

Ok news: Its loud, but at least it's not farty loud or raspy sounding. It's deep and burbley, like a Subaru or something. Not exactly what I wanted, but thank GOD it doesn't sound like a barrio Honda with a PepBoys fart can. The other good thing is the natural "dead spot" in the exhaust tone is right at cruising speed (45 in 4th and 70 in 5th) so I'm not going to go stark-freaking-mad driving to work in it.

What I did:
The install was a cinch. My measurements were perfect and it welded right in after cutting out the stock muffler. I did eliminate an unnecessary bend by cutting the factory pipe back 18" and filling the void with an $8 aluminized straight pipe from AutoZone. Had I thought about that before hand, I would have ordered a longer muffler. Side-by-side, the stock muffler appears to be about 60-70% larger than the Magnaflow even though the case lengths are only 3.5" apart. The intake mods have been discussed all over this site so I don't need to go into any detail. The hardest part of that was removing the splash guard/fenderwell liner without busting all the retarded square clips they used. All told, the intake and exhaust mods took me about two and a half hours and cost $83.

This is the first 4-cylinder I've ever owned, so I didn't know what to expect coming in (especially because I'm down four cylinders and 3.2L from my last truck) and needless to say it has been a learning experience.

Yes, I will get videos, but I have to wait until the better half gets home to record it.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
magnapack is more like a glass pack
Old 03-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I pretty much knew that once I actually looked at the muffler when it was delivered, but I ordered it without much thought because Magnaflow also has an actual glasspack line, so I wasn't too worried when I bought it. I've used DynoMax Ultra-Flo canister-style mufflers on various cars and trucks in the past and this Magnaflow is very similar in design, but I never had a problem with a car or truck being too loud before, and I certainly didn't expect this kind of sound to come from an 18" muffler. The DynoMax mufflers must absorb a lot more sound or something, but whatever it is about the setup on this truck makes it nearly as loud as my old Dakota was with DynoMax Bullets, test pipes (no cats/resonators), and mid-length headers.

I'm going to drive it for a couple weeks and see if I grow into the sound or not. I have several options to take if I can't stand it.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Tacoma 4 Life.
chaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
chaz834's Tacoma Gallery
Post up a video lets hear it...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so the woman just called and said she's getting home late, so I'm going to grab my *other* co-pilot and see if we can catch a video.

Danger: Totally awesome videography to come [/sarcasm]

Edit:
Sorry for all the shots of my crotch, this endeavor wasn't as easy as I thought, mainly due to traffic.

First video is with the windows down, second is with the windows up. Both videos were taken at speeds up to 55 MPH, and yes I was getting on it a little more than I normally would for dramatic effect. [/sarcasm2]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0sK402-hI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FZxSh0JIs
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
Come on. At least put a seat belt on the dog.

Muffler not as bad as you described.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
Do you take video request?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss View Post

Muffler not as bad as you described.

he's GANGSTAAAA no seat belt for him or the dog!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

You mind taking a video of the start up with the camera outside
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I will post a video tomorrow of my BA muffler.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
its got a nice growl to it.

more vids!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss View Post
Um....no
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
I will definitely grab a few more videos when the time allows, I'm working through the weekend so it might be the beginning of the week before I get a chance to take any more. mcleod90, I will be sure to take one outside the truck, start it up, and rev it a little.

lol @ the seatbelt thing, we went 1/4 mile and were on side streets with no traffic.

And it's starting to grow on me. I actually like the tone, its kind of addicting. If it wasn't so damn loud I think I'd be real happy.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #16

I think I'm just going to order the same one you did. From the clips you have up it sounds great to me. Doesn't sound ricey at all
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod90 View Post
I think I'm just going to order the same one you did. From the clips you have up it sounds great to me. Doesn't sound ricey at all
If i didnt have a track meet tomorrow in Clovis id get it done if my muffler shop has it in stock! so hoping sunday they do!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
Gun Toting Gearhead

0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, glad you like it! It definitely doesn't sound ricey, but it does let everyone know it's a 4-banger, and from quite some distance away.

The install was real easy because I measured in advance. I would probably recommend removing the unnecessary bend from the piping like I did for a cleaner install, though, which also allows for a longer muffler. In hindsight, I might have gone with the same style muffler but in a larger/longer model to keep the same tone but cut down on the noise some.

I'll post more videos when I can but my scheduling this weekend just won't allow for it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #20

Sounds good to me. I think this is the one I'll end up going with.