Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Pics of what you tow with you 2.7

Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #181
yesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really nice

yesmar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma View Post
Ah cool. I didn't realize the bumper was that durable.

I'm glad you were able to get it. Sorry to read about your Audi. I hope you get it going and are happy with it.
Thanks! The bumper is very legit. I was planing on doing this, then read a ton of post about"I would never pull/tow with the bumper"ect. Before I even posted here. That got me all paranoid so had to ask you guys. When I Looked at my bumper and see what mybumper took today. I think it's just tow package buyers remorse. I mean under the plastic it's a no sh!t thick steel plate bolted to both frame ends. I mean if your under 3800lbs I don't see the need. Except height adjustment

And thank you the Audi will run... Much faster then before. I just want some parts off it to make it to waterfest next month with my other. B5 s4 is my passion
Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #182
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
I will be going on a 5 hour trip hauling my tent trailer and my 600 lbs 4 wheeler soon so I should have pic up of that. Hope it gets good gas mileage!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #183
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn dude start a build thread fo sho. love to see what u guys do to your cars.

BTW. i missed the toyo in the back lol
Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #184
yesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really niceyesmar is just really nice

yesmar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clc clc View Post
Damn dude start a build thread fo sho. love to see what u guys do to your cars.

BTW. i missed the toyo in the back lol
Ill link you to a thread on another forum whenever i start it.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #185
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 092wdtaco View Post
Thank you for the info. I had planned on doing a thorough service before leaving. I went to Uhaul's website and they showed that I wasn't able to rent the 6x12 and was wondering how I was going to manage...now I know! I plan on moving as light as possible but that isn't very easy when it's cross country! Congrats on the new truck by the way! Looks great!
I was able to rent the 6x12 from Uhaul's site without issue. I rented one back in February and made two round trips with it from Nashville to Chattanooga, a little over 500 miles total. My truck towed it just fine. I kept it around 60-65 on the interstate and had to gear down to 3rd when going over Monteagle mountain but that's expected. Those double axle trailers are pretty easy to back up as well. Oh and welcome to TN. I've lived around Nashville most of my life and it's a great town, although I'm in Chattanooga now.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #186
billstickly1 is on a distinguished road
billstickly1's Tacoma Gallery
hi guys, need some help here. I am hopefully picking up a pop-up trailer tomorrow. Weighs just under 2000 lbs. From what I am reading it sounds like I shouldn't have any issues with it. The trailer does not have brakes. This should be fine right? They wouldn't make it without brakes if it needed them right? My truck is 100% bone stock? What do I need to pull this around? I am thinking if I put a ball on the bumper there are going to be some weird angles. Can you let me know what I need to get to make this work? I know towing is not about being cheap but I would like to spend only what I have to. I live in Florida and will not be hitting any elevations and should only be doing 100 mile trips at the most.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #187
cfagan14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cfagan14's Tacoma Gallery
Headed out this weekend to find some stripers on the 'Hooch.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-image.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #188
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billstickly1 View Post
hi guys, need some help here. I am hopefully picking up a pop-up trailer tomorrow. Weighs just under 2000 lbs. From what I am reading it sounds like I shouldn't have any issues with it. The trailer does not have brakes. This should be fine right? They wouldn't make it without brakes if it needed them right? My truck is 100% bone stock? What do I need to pull this around? I am thinking if I put a ball on the bumper there are going to be some weird angles. Can you let me know what I need to get to make this work? I know towing is not about being cheap but I would like to spend only what I have to. I live in Florida and will not be hitting any elevations and should only be doing 100 mile trips at the most.
Thanks
You shouldn't have issues.

For brakes, you have to give yourself longer to stop and plan the stops better. If it took you 100 ft to stop before from a speed, I'd probably give it 150 ft to stop now. If you try to panic stop you'll feel the trailer trying to push your truck.

It sounds as though the bumper is a decent towing point. If you look back the past couple of pages, both yesmar and swendling12 have pulled cars using their bumpers. On page 5 it looks as though MowTaco is pulling steel poles out of the ground from his bumper. It's hard to tell. I think he also has a hitch under it.

You lose the ability to adjust the height though to keep the trailer riding level. My hitch is below the bumper, and I get another 1.5" of drop from the draw bar to level the trailer. You could try the bumper and see if it works.

Apart from that you'll need a way to wire the trailer lights in. It'll most likely have either a 4 or 7 wire plug. Something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/vm/Toyota/Tacoma/t1

You're local auto parts store should have some kits though.

I can't tell if you have a manual or auto transmission. If you have an auto and are going to be pulling it a lot, you might want to consider a transmission cooler.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #189
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
19 ft aquasport center console. no idea on weight, all i know is i was pleasantly suprised with how it towed

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #190
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland Taco View Post
19 ft aquasport center console. no idea on weight, all i know is i was pleasantly suprised with how it towed

2.7's are very underrated. I'm not saying per spec, but they are with perception.

I like the color of your truck.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #191
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Would you guys recommend towing a 17ft ish or so center console around with my 98 2.7 much? Looking to get a 17ft CC for weekend fishing, but am hesitant that the truck will be able to tow it the 30 miles or so to the boat ramp multiple times a month without wearing it out.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Would you guys recommend towing a 17ft ish or so center console around with my 98 2.7 much? Looking to get a 17ft CC for weekend fishing, but am hesitant that the truck will be able to tow it the 30 miles or so to the boat ramp multiple times a month without wearing it out.
Edit: The below is too wordy. Skimming this thread it looks as though there's a lot of boats towed. You'll be fine.
--------
Depends on the weight and the terrain. You shouldn't have an issue though.

I'd guess the boat will weigh 1500 lbs if you get a light weight one. It could go up to about 2000 lbs though so I'd pay attention to that.

Then trailer 400 lbs, gear about 300 lbs, then 6.5 lbs for every gallon of gas you're taking so about 250 lbs if you go pretty full. You should be right around 2500 - 3000 lbs.

The pictures right above is of a 19 ft aquasport center console being towed.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #193
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 tacoma View Post
Edit: The below is too wordy. Skimming this thread it looks as though there's a lot of boats towed. You'll be fine.
--------
Depends on the weight and the terrain. You shouldn't have an issue though.

I'd guess the boat will weigh 1500 lbs if you get a light weight one. It could go up to about 2000 lbs though so I'd pay attention to that.

Then trailer 400 lbs, gear about 300 lbs, then 6.5 lbs for every gallon of gas you're taking so about 250 lbs if you go pretty full. You should be right around 2500 - 3000 lbs.

The pictures right above is of a 19 ft aquasport center console being towed.
U should be alright with a 17. The 19 pulled well but u obviously had to take ur time. What I enjoyed about it is that the truck itself was very capable of handling the boat in terms of brakes and suspension. The jeep Cherokee that I had before this was the opposite. It had more than enough power but the brakes and suspension much below average. I tow my 15ft aluminum bass boat at least once a week to tournaments and its a night and day difference going down the highway. No more white knuckles when a 18 wheeler goes by.

Ps, thanks I love the color as well. Can't wait to get some new wheels and some new rubber, of the duratrac fashion
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #194
98 yota power is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
98 yota power's Tacoma Gallery
had two bikes and 1 quad on the trailor and my quad and a set of ramps 4 gas cans and all the gear in the bed towed great just had to shift to third gear on some hills and it did fine but i didnt get her wound up either so all in all i was happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-105.jpg   Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-103.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #195
Warhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Veteran
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I have been anticipating (dreading?) this for a while now. Today was the big day, I towed the boat from Fort Worth to Hot Springs, a little over 350 miles. Toyota got the gearing pretty much right on this one, I might go a little lower on the rear gear, but not much.

I towed in 3rd gear (4spd auto) at 65-67 mph.

No problems on any hills on the interstate.

I was able to run in cruise control, but I would shut it off on long uphill stretches so it wouldn't downshift to 2nd.

I averaged 16.7 mpg for the trip.

Once I got off the interstate in Arkansas, I had some steeper hills to contend with. No problem, I was going slower now, max of 60 mph and other than being slow to accelerate, no problems at all.

All my worries about the 4 cylinder Taco were over nothing, it did great.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #196
Payduck is on a distinguished road
Payduck's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked this one up today. Tows like a dream

Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #197
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
I have been anticipating (dreading?) this for a while now. Today was the big day, I towed the boat from Fort Worth to Hot Springs, a little over 350 miles. Toyota got the gearing pretty much right on this one, I might go a little lower on the rear gear, but not much.

I towed in 3rd gear (4spd auto) at 65-67 mph.

No problems on any hills on the interstate.

I was able to run in cruise control, but I would shut it off on long uphill stretches so it wouldn't downshift to 2nd.

I averaged 16.7 mpg for the trip.

Once I got off the interstate in Arkansas, I had some steeper hills to contend with. No problem, I was going slower now, max of 60 mph and other than being slow to accelerate, no problems at all.

All my worries about the 4 cylinder Taco were over nothing, it did great.

Good deal! Glad the trip went well.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #198
taco fire will become famous soon enough

Firefighter: Technical Rescue
Name: Adam
taco fire's Tacoma Gallery
98 Taco 4x4 2.7 AT

Pulled it about 15 miles. Not sure what the weight was but my little taco was squatting pretty hard!
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-tacomatractor.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco fire View Post
Pulled it about 15 miles. Not sure what the weight was but my little taco was squatting pretty hard!
Depends. One of those Ford tractors can weigh anywhere between 2400 and 3200. That one looks about average so split it at 2800. You've got a bush hog it looks like which is probably another 500 pounds. That trailer is pretty big so say 1200 pounds.

I'm guessing from your picture you pulled about 4500 pounds. Not a bad 4th post.

Playing devil's advocate: As a disclaimer to anyone who thinks it's legit now to pull 4500 pounds with their truck, yes it'll do it. When you have to you have to. Don't do it everyday.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #200
Taco302 is on a distinguished road
Taco302's Tacoma Gallery
1,900 LB 6 x 12 Uhaul trailer, loaded with at least 1,500 Lbs of stuff. Hauled for 1K miles without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-20130624_115807.jpg