EVILSKEEMZ's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-image.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #142
Jholden is on a distinguished road
Jholden's Tacoma Gallery
That seadoo makes the taco look pretty small hah
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #143
Warhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Veteran
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I finally have something to tow with my Taco. Just bought this boat, a Stratos 176 XT. My Taco has the 2.7 and automatic, I just put it in 3rd and it tows the boat fine. A little sluggish getting up to speed unless you keep the rpms up, but once I got it up to 65, I set the cruise and you hardly know it's back there.

The place I bought the bought says it weighs about 2100 pounds, that's boat/motor/trailer. I don't know for sure, I couldn't get anyone at Stratos to call me back to confirm.

Now if it would just warm up a little so I can put it in the water!

Stopped on teh access road in front of Texas Motor Speedway on the way home.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #144
Jholden is on a distinguished road
Jholden's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Did you have a tranny cooler or plan on installing one?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #145
tacomawv
tacomawv is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
tacomawv's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the cooler. Great looking boat. Good luck fishing.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #146
Warhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of light
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jholden View Post
^^^ Did you have a tranny cooler or plan on installing one?
Not yet, just had to get the boat home.

But I do plan on adding a tranny cooler, any suggestions on which one?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #147
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I've towed the boat a few times now, back and forth to the lake only. I'm running in 3rd gear (4 spd automatic) and limiting myself to 65 mph, for the gas mileage as much as anything. I still need to get an tranny cooler.

No problems at all towing, one ramp I used is extremely steep and the Taco pulled the boat up that super steep ramp with no problems at all. The only problem is have is that the trailer tires track is wider than the truck, and I have to really pay attention to not run it off the road, hit curbs, etc.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #148
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Not much weight, only about 400 lbs, but I brought this tank home in the bed of the truck.
And they said it wouldn't fit!
It fit......sort of.

Pics of what you tow with you 2.7-20121203_154614.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #149
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
Not yet, just had to get the boat home.

But I do plan on adding a tranny cooler, any suggestions on which one?
Lots of good coolers out there that will do you a good job. I've installed several on both tow vehicles and race cars, and my personal favorite is the B&M SuperCooler. They come in several different models. I usually get the version that has screwed fittings and then use braided hose with AN fittings for a surefire, leak-free set up. Some will think that is overkill, but it works well for me.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #150
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to tow a small camper with my 2.7. The one I'm looking at weighs 1100 lbs. Do I really need a tranny cooler? If so, how much do you think it will run with labor? My truck is brand new and still under warranty, is that something I should have done by the dealer?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #151
mistahgood is on a distinguished road
Name: Mistah
mistahgood's Tacoma Gallery
Tranny Cooler Cost

I have the same setup as Warhawk.. 2.7L Access Cab 2wd. Its a 2013 with 4,000 miles on it so far, I also would like to know about how much it would cost with parts and labor to have it put on. Would a Toyota garage put it on?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #152
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickorylarge View Post
I'm looking to tow a small camper with my 2.7. The one I'm looking at weighs 1100 lbs. Do I really need a tranny cooler? If so, how much do you think it will run with labor? My truck is brand new and still under warranty, is that something I should have done by the dealer?
Wish I could help you. All I know is I would be getting one anyways to be sure. I hauled my tent trailer thats not much heavier then that and it does make the little 2.7 work and I even have the 5 speed
Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #153
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahgood View Post
I have the same setup as Warhawk.. 2.7L Access Cab 2wd. Its a 2013 with 4,000 miles on it so far, I also would like to know about how much it would cost with parts and labor to have it put on. Would a Toyota garage put it on?
I had the local transmission shop put the cooler on mine. Cost was about $200.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #154
hickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedhickorylarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
hickorylarge's Tacoma Gallery
$200 is not bad, I can swing that. I really don't want to have it done by the dealer, Im sure that will be a major rip off. Anyone have any idea if having it installed at a transmission shop will affect my warranty?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #155
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a B&M super cooler on a fox mustang I used to drive. Pretty simple to install on that car, but I have never looked at how much clearance ect. we have. I plumbed it to where it went through the cooler built into the radiator then through the B&M and back to the tranny.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #156
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I finally have something to tow with my Taco. Just bought this boat, a Stratos 176 XT. My Taco has the 2.7 and automatic, I just put it in 3rd and it tows the boat fine. A little sluggish getting up to speed unless you keep the rpms up, but once I got it up to 65, I set the cruise and you hardly know it's back there.

The place I bought the bought says it weighs about 2100 pounds, that's boat/motor/trailer. I don't know for sure, I couldn't get anyone at Stratos to call me back to confirm.

Now if it would just warm up a little so I can put it in the water!

Stopped on teh access road in front of Texas Motor Speedway on the way home.
I towed this rig about 100 miles yesterday, I filled up today to see what kind of mileage I got. 19.8 mpg towing, not too bad. Just about exactly what my 1984 2wd pickup did towing a UHaul trailer across country when I was in the Air Force.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #157
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I towed this rig about 100 miles yesterday, I filled up today to see what kind of mileage I got. 19.8 mpg towing, not too bad. Just about exactly what my 1984 2wd pickup did towing a UHaul trailer across country when I was in the Air Force.
Wow I don't even get 19 in the city. Nice!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #158
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus 524 View Post
Wow I don't even get 19 in the city. Nice!
I run up and down the highway a lot in this one. I'd been getting 24-25 mpg, but lately I've used 100% gasoline and am up around 26 mpg. That's mostly running 70-75 on the interstate.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #159
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I run up and down the highway a lot in this one. I'd been getting 24-25 mpg, but lately I've used 100% gasoline and am up around 26 mpg. That's mostly running 70-75 on the interstate.
Glade to hear the big numbers. Way to go!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #160
sabre19 is on a distinguished road
sabre19's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a friend's 3-cyl diesel Kibota lawn tractor from his house to the repair shop yesterday, about 14 miles of steep hills and winding roads. The tractor weighs about 1400 lbs, the trailer I think about 500. I noticed it was back there when going up the steeper hills, but it wasn't a difficult tow.