Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

A-TRAC for 4cyl.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
itsryan is on a distinguished road
itsryan's Tacoma Gallery
A-TRAC for 4cyl.

I was curious to know if anyone knows, if Toyota has A-TRAC for the 2.7l.
In my truck, a 2011 ac 4x4 mt 4cyl, I see the blank switch cover where ATRAC should be. Is there a way you can add this system? Or do u have to buy it with car? Please you answers appreciated!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think they offer it for the 2.7L but i think for ur year u can perform the "yellow wire mod". haha sorry i dont know a whole lot about it but i wanted to do it to my truck but i couldnt
Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
I dont think they offer it for the 2.7L but i think for ur year u can perform the "yellow wire mod". haha sorry i dont know a whole lot about it but i wanted to do it to my truck but i couldnt
You're back
Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can't. It uses a hydraulic brake booster and special programming. All you can do is the yellow wire mod for TRAC in 4wd low. It works like ALSD does.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You can't. It uses a hydraulic brake booster and special programming. All you can do is the yellow wire mod for TRAC in 4wd low. It works like ALSD does.
so u can only do the yellow wire mod if u have ALSD? i thought i saw a youtube video of a guy doing this mod on the same truck as the OP...i could be wrong
Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
so u can only do the yellow wire mod if u have ALSD? i thought i saw a youtube video of a guy doing this mod on the same truck as the OP...i could be wrong
All 09 and up Tacos are equipped with VSC and ALSD.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
oh really? i didnt know that
Yes sir.

Welcome back.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Good job boys!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
itsryan is on a distinguished road
itsryan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for clearing that up a bit. So if yellow wire mod works like ALSD? So if I Have ALSD then is yellow wire nessasary.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Banned
It is only necessary if you need it. TRAC(traction control) controls wheel spin with throttle and brake control. When you are in 4wd high it drops the throttle control and acts like ALSD but on a 4 wheels. When in you go into low it shuts off. By doing the yellow wire mod it keeps the throttle control part of TRAC on in 4wd low.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsryan View Post
Thanks everyone for clearing that up a bit. So if yellow wire mod works like ALSD? So if I Have ALSD then is yellow wire nessasary.
I find that charts and lists make understanding this stuff easier...

1) 2WD is normally in TRAC MODE... a light limited slip that uses the brakes and also regulates engine output to reduce spinning of low traction tires.

2) ALSD (AUTO LSD) is a 2WD ONLY MODE... It removes the engine output regulation normally on in 2WD (TRAC MODE) so your limited slip is 'stronger' should you be stuck. You turn it on with a quick push of the VSC button.

3) If desired, you can turn off the traction controls and have open, free spinning differential action in 2WD or 4WD-HI. You must stop the vehicle and then push and hold down the VSC button for a few seconds until the light come on alerting you that you are in VSC OFF MODE (TRAC is also off).

4) In 4WD HIGH (H4), you are in TRAC, but the engine output is not regulated (as with AUTO LSD)... nothing to push. This is an effective limited slip traction aid. See #3 if you desire open differentials in H4.

5) In 4WD LOW, you have NO TRACTION CONTROL (except Off Road TRDs)... Your option is to perform the 4-Lo Trac Mod (yellow wire mod) which tricks your truck into thinking it is in H4 when you are in L4.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
Great overview David, thank you for compiling that information into one easy-to-understand post!

Is the TRAC or ALSD as effective as an old-school limited-slip or posi differential?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #16
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Its kind of hard to have A-Trac on a truck that has rear drum brakes.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
Great overview David, thank you for compiling that information into one easy-to-understand post!

Is the TRAC or ALSD as effective as an old-school limited-slip or posi differential?
Glad it was helpful! You're welcome!

Good question, the guys with the '05-'08 Sport TRDs or who have changed their differentials to posi-traction/ limited slip differentials will tell you no (but how do they know until they have a truck with TRAC to compare?).

I had an '01 and an '05 OR Tacoma before my '10... and all I can tell you that TRAC in H4 knocks the socks off open differential 4WDs.

Part of four wheeling is getting stuck or discovering your limitations... lowering air pressure is typically how we improve traction or floatation over difficult terrain. I do a lot of four wheeling in Baja in deep sand (beaches on the Sea of Cortez near San Felipe).

With 4WD open differentials, and fully inflated tires, you get only so far before a stuck... one tire in front and one tire in the rear spin (and the other two do nothing). Lowering the pressure to 10-15 psi allows you to continue on... this is very soft, deep sand mixed with crushed shells so it doesn't compact like a lot of other beach sand does.

The first time I drove my 2010 Tacoma onto that beach (with TRAC in H4), it didn't come to a stop and spin tires! I was amazed...

To test that it was indeed the new TRAC system that mad the difference, I turned off the VSC & TRAC in H4... and after a few feet my truck got stuck !!!

This gave me a chance to test the A-TRAC... and so I put it in L4 and turned on A-TRAC... gave it the gas... the truck made some noise, and shaked a bit... and then drove itself out of the stuck. All without me getting out to clear away sand or to let any air out of the tires! I went back into H4 with TRAC back on, and drove about the rest of the weekend on the beach and in arroyos (dry washes) with tires at 32 psi.

Naturally, I was enthusiastic about TRAC and A-TRAC from then on... and in the 16 months since then, the A-TRAC and TRAC have never disappointed me!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
??? ***ALL*** tacomas have rear drum brakes. Some have atrac, some have regular trac.
x2 Yup...

Drum brakes have more surface area than disc brakes... Semi trucks with their heavy loads use drum brakes, don't they?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
Even MORE excellent info David, thank you once again!
This is valuable info, not to mention good news. I've had experience with the typical posi or limited-slip diffs in the past and love how they work, but I (apparently wrongly) assumed that the TRAC or ALSD was an ineffective and poor substitute for the "real" thing. Looking forward to trying it out when I get my truck next week! Looking forward to reading your thread giving a detailed explanation.

After reading your post, I see you're from San Diego. My wife and I were there in Dec. '07. I work for Toyota, and we were installing a new door line at the Baja plant. We stayed on San Diego bay at the Hilton. It was work for me, but a nice vacation for my wife. We had an absolutely great time there (3 weeks). Sure miss the REAL tacos & burritos in Tecate. Even the food at the plant was great. Hope to be back there again some day, probably for the Gen 3 launch whenever that is.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
Even MORE excellent info David, thank you once again!
This is valuable info, not to mention good news. I've had experience with the typical posi or limited-slip diffs in the past and love how they work, but I (apparently wrongly) assumed that the TRAC or ALSD was an ineffective and poor substitute for the "real" thing. Looking forward to trying it out when I get my truck next week! Looking forward to reading your thread giving a detailed explanation.

After reading your post, I see you're from San Diego. My wife and I were there in Dec. '07. I work for Toyota, and we were installing a new door line at the Baja plant. We stayed on San Diego bay at the Hilton. It was work for me, but a nice vacation for my wife. We had an absolutely great time there (3 weeks). Sure miss the REAL tacos & burritos in Tecate. Even the food at the plant was great. Hope to be back there again some day, probably for the Gen 3 launch whenever that is.
That sounds great! So, Toyota of North America treats you right? Room at the Hilton on the bay, and all... That's great. My 2010 was made at the Baja plant, and my doors are installed properly... thank you!

Food in Baja is outstanding! The simple taco stands along the street or in businesses are great... Can't lose weight when in Baja (around towns or cities) because everything tastes so good,... and they have the best beer, crafted by Bavarian brewmasters!

I have driven by the Tacoma factory going from the coast to Tecate on Hwy. 2... snapped some photos (see my Sept. 2010 trip report 'Las Pintas'). Hope you guys can spend more time on the West Coast and get back to Baja... The place the Off Road TRD was made for!