Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Should I do a tune up?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Should I do a tune up?

I have a 120k miles. Should I take it in for a tune up? Hasn't had one yet.

Also, I was already planning on replacing the spark plugs. I'm assuming they're fine still because I haven't looked at them but at 120k I figure why not. So what kind of spark plugs should I get?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
I guess no?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
not sure what plugs the 4 cyl has but the best plugs have a expected life of 100k, so id go ahead and buy some factory replacement plugs.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
There's not much to tune up on these engines. Spark plugs are spec'd for 100k. I went with OEM denso plugs. Coolant is also spec'd at 100k. Again I went with the Toyota coolant like the manual says. Fuel filter is in the tank and supposedly lifetime so I didn't replace that yet. Replaced the serpentine belt not too long ago so it didn't need it at 100k. Check brake pads/rotors and adjust the rear drums. Clean/change your air filter and change your oil/filter and you're pretty much set.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I know my 08 says to replace the plugs, even under severe service, the first time at 120K.

Change em out.

Do it yourself.

Clean your throttle and intake to.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
JVannett is on a distinguished road
JVannett's Tacoma Gallery
if you have the 2.7 like in mine the fuel filter is located under the intake manafold. i had to take mine off to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
There's not much to tune up on these engines. Spark plugs are spec'd for 100k. I went with OEM denso plugs. Coolant is also spec'd at 100k. Again I went with the Toyota coolant like the manual says. Fuel filter is in the tank and supposedly lifetime so I didn't replace that yet. Replaced the serpentine belt not too long ago so it didn't need it at 100k. Check brake pads/rotors and adjust the rear drums. Clean/change your air filter and change your oil/filter and you're pretty much set.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVannett View Post
if you have the 2.7 like in mine the fuel filter is located under the intake manafold. i had to take mine off to replace it.
Unfortunately on 2nd gens, they're located in the tank. Same way with my wife's Honda Fit. Sucks cause it's one of the first places I'd look if fueling issues were a concern.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
Unfortunately on 2nd gens, they're located in the tank. Same way with my wife's Honda Fit. Sucks cause it's one of the first places I'd look if fueling issues were a concern.
Are you sure it's the filter in the tank and not the pump?.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Bogeyman is on a distinguished road
Bogeyman's Tacoma Gallery
Changed my plugs at 190K. They needed changing but truck was still starting and running fine before I did it. I went with Autolite Double Platinum fine pin. I can tell a difference in the amount of gas I have to give to accelerate and maintain cruising speeds. Easy to do yourself, about a 2 hour job. Change my oil every 10K, always have. Use Royal Purple 5-30. And yes, fuel filter is in the tank on 2nd gen tacos.

HA, just noticed how old this thread is. Oh well....