1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd A/C Problem

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Ptfreak01, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It has been awhile since I have messed with AC, but if I remember right there is a schrader valve like the type used on a tire valve stem under that switch. So you shouldn't have to release all the system pressure in order to remove and replace the switch. If you unscrew the switch all the way and there is still freon coming out, then yeah you'd have to replace the schrader. At that point I would want the system to be vacuumed down and recharged professionally.

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    998cc

998cc Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4WD
    Bone Stock
    This is an old post but having just gone through my 1996 Tacoma's leaking AC system, I can provide answers.
    1. There is a blowoff valve located on the compressor. It is not sold separately by Toyota; you must buy the entire upper manifold for $206.00 to get a new one.
    2. If the system is spewing refrigerant from the blowoff valve while the A/C is running, the likely culprit is a blocked expansion valve; it is located next to the evaporator coil inside the airbox behind the glove box. It could be blocked with debris or even ice if the system has been open to the air or moisture.
    3. The pressure switch is located next to the expansion valve.
    4. Always evacuate the system prior to charging, IMHO. An old refrigerator compressor will do the job well enough. Been using one for 30 years.
    For my Tacoma, the evaporator coil was leaking. I got the entire airbox from a self-serve wrecking yard (Pick-N-Pull $40.00) from a 1998 Tacoma which is exactly the same as the 1996 and it works perfectly.

Old Man Ron likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top