Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Odd A/C Problem

Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Hardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Hardwater's Tacoma Gallery
A/C components have a green o-ring where lines, condensers and high and low pressure switches connect to the system. They are a special o-ring designed to handle the temps and high pressures of the system. They are considered single use and should be replaced any time they have been in a pressurized system. In a bind I have reused them, but I would not in my own vehicle and that one is surely damaged with that leak, so it needs replaced. But more than likely a new switch would come with one.

Also, the oil isn't actually green, it comes out that way but quickly turns back to a yellow/amber colored oil. It could be a dye or some reaction to air, I am not sure.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #22
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptfreak01 View Post
joes06tacoma, you mentioned the schrader valve earlier and i think it is important to clarify because ive never heard of it. Is the pressure switch the electrical component connected to the schrader valve? if so then when i pull the pressure switch off the schrader valve it leaks slowly releasing pressure. do i have to replace the switch vise the schrader valve?
It has been awhile since I have messed with AC, but if I remember right there is a schrader valve like the type used on a tire valve stem under that switch. So you shouldn't have to release all the system pressure in order to remove and replace the switch. If you unscrew the switch all the way and there is still freon coming out, then yeah you'd have to replace the schrader. At that point I would want the system to be vacuumed down and recharged professionally.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
998cc is on a distinguished road
Name: Russ
998cc's Tacoma Gallery
This is an old post but having just gone through my 1996 Tacoma's leaking AC system, I can provide answers.
1. There is a blowoff valve located on the compressor. It is not sold separately by Toyota; you must buy the entire upper manifold for $206.00 to get a new one.
2. If the system is spewing refrigerant from the blowoff valve while the A/C is running, the likely culprit is a blocked expansion valve; it is located next to the evaporator coil inside the airbox behind the glove box. It could be blocked with debris or even ice if the system has been open to the air or moisture.
3. The pressure switch is located next to the expansion valve.
4. Always evacuate the system prior to charging, IMHO. An old refrigerator compressor will do the job well enough. Been using one for 30 years.
For my Tacoma, the evaporator coil was leaking. I got the entire airbox from a self-serve wrecking yard (Pick-N-Pull $40.00) from a 1998 Tacoma which is exactly the same as the 1996 and it works perfectly.