Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Odd A/C Problem

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Ptfreak01 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Ptfreak01's Tacoma Gallery
Odd A/C Problem

Today I was using my A/C(cooling) and while driving it stopped working. I looked under the hood and it looked like plenty of coolant was forced out of the A/C Pressure switch. The pressure switch would continue to expel pressure then it stopped after about 15min. Now there is no A/C at all. The coolant level is just above the minimum required level and the engine is not unusually gaining heat. Everything appears to be normal with exception of loss of A/C. Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Confused. Are you talking about the Air Conditioning or the engine coolant/radiator?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Navy:
When my A/C stopped working I immediately looked at my temp gauge. It was reading mid range so that did not alarm me. I believe its the "pressure switch" that blew out green refrigerant or anti-freeze. Either way, there is plenty of green goo that came out of the air conditioning pipe. does this help? I found a link that I believe is what im looking for but some verification would be nice.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...a/04601110.pdf
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
If your ac stopped working,check and see if the condenser fan is still operating...look and see if the fan is operating when the ac unit is engaged...if not and the ac does not shut down...shut it down!.Has anyone done a leak test on your ac...has anyone placed any dye into the system?.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
If your ac stopped working,check and see if the condenser fan is still operating...look and see if the fan is operating when the ac unit is engaged...if not and the ac does not shut down...shut it down!.Has anyone done a leak test on your ac...has anyone placed any dye into the system?.
The OP has an 06 so the engine's clutch fan is used for the AC condenser.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
I somewhat understand what your saying.The green you saw is dye that toyota adds to the system to aid in finding leaks.Your engine coolant is pink for future reference.I'm not sure what valve your talking about.I could not open the link you posted.If you post a picture i may be able to give some help.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
The link you posted mentions the pressure switch. it
Quote:
The switch detects a drop in refrigerant pressure,
such as from refrigerant leakage, and turns the magnet clutch off
(*1) to prevent damage to the compressor.

The switch detects abnormally high pressure in the air
conditioning cycle and turns the magnet clutch off
(*1) to prevent damage to parts in the air conditioning cycle.
I've never seen and your link does not mention a blow off valve.
(A/C's are sealed units)
got any pictures of what you saw under the hood?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Navy:
I went to Toyota today and found out it is the A/C High pressure switch. Every time i tried to use the A/C it would spew out oil and refrigerant. i believe i am going to have to have it replaced. i priced it out and its going to be pretty pricey. Is it possible to evac the old refrigerant, replace the switch, and recharge the system accurately? do i have to evac the A/C system?
Attached Thumbnails
Odd A/C Problem-dsc05618.jpg   Odd A/C Problem-dsc05620.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptfreak01 View Post
I went to Toyota today and found out it is the A/C High pressure switch. Every time i tried to use the A/C it would spew out oil and refrigerant. i believe i am going to have to have it replaced. i priced it out and its going to be pretty pricey. Is it possible to evac the old refrigerant, replace the switch, and recharge the system accurately? do i have to evac the A/C system?
Yes, the system must be evacuated, the faulty switch replaced, and the system recharged. The factory service manual should specify the amount of refrigerant required (by weight), and the specified quantity metered back into the system.

Anytime the system is opened, it must also be dehydrated with a deep vacuum, and it's a good idea to replace the filter/drier also.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
if the system has leaked all your refrigerant out you don't have to worry about violating any laws by opening your ac system

the switch should be well under 100 bucks (20-70)
if you need to break an ac line the tools are available at autozone for under 10 bucks

replace the switch
check the manual for the proper amount of refrigerant (usually listed in lbs)
get one can that contains the oil/lube plus refrigerant

find a shop that will pull a vacuum on the system for you
if they will add oil and charge it for a reasonable price that would be great if not proceed to
add your oil and 1 can refrigerant
stop and check your pressure (gauges are available at autozone etc)
add 1 can at a time until you are at the proper level

maybe some usefull info here
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=253397
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm
http://www.ehow.com/info_8017502_toy...ure-specs.html

My tacoma hasn't had any A/C problems yet but in the past
I'm lucky in having a cousin that runs a home A/c shop
I use his sniffer to find any leaks
repair them

I have a friendly body shop that has an a/c recovery system that will vacum and charge a system to my specs usually at no charge (I supply refrigerant )
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Call around and see what the lowest price is to evac and recharge the system. I wouldn't worry too much about pulling a vacuum on it. That's a high pressure leak and there should not be any moisture drawn into the system because of it.

You can buy can's of 134a at the parts store and recharge yourself. But it's illegal to vent what's in there right now (if anything).

That switch just comes right off no tools needed. There is a schrader valve under it that would stop any further release. But it's probably all gone already. In fact, I know a guy who would probably just swap the switches and top off it off with the cans from kragen or autozone.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
billwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to beholdbillwot is a splendid one to behold
billwot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about pulling a vacuum on it. That's a high pressure leak and there should not be any moisture drawn into the system
Quote:
because of it.

That's correct

But once he opens the system to make the repair, then there is not longer any pressure in the system, and it is subject to moisture intrusion.

Anytime a system has been opened, its a good practice to replace the filter drier, and pull a vacuum.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Perhaps I need to repeat... THERE IS NOTHING GREEN IN YOUR AIR CONDITIONER AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A BLOW OFF VALVE!!!

You lost ENGINE COOLANT!
I don't think the techs at Toyota heard you.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Anytime a system has been opened, its a good practice to replace the filter drier, and pull a vacuum.
Amen!

repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
Navy:
Quote:
Call around and see what the lowest price is to evac and recharge the system. I wouldn't worry too much about pulling a vacuum on it. That's a high pressure leak and there should not be any moisture drawn into the system because of it.

You can buy can's of 134a at the parts store and recharge yourself. But it's illegal to vent what's in there right now (if anything).

That switch just comes right off no tools needed. There is a schrader valve under it that would stop any further release. But it's probably all gone already. In fact, I know a guy who would probably just swap the switches and top off it off with the cans from kragen or autozone.
joes06tacoma, you mentioned the schrader valve earlier and i think it is important to clarify because ive never heard of it. Is the pressure switch the electrical component connected to the schrader valve? if so then when i pull the pressure switch off the schrader valve it leaks slowly releasing pressure. do i have to replace the switch vise the schrader valve?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Hardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Hardwater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Perhaps I need to repeat... THERE IS NOTHING GREEN IN YOUR AIR CONDITIONER AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A BLOW OFF VALVE!!!

You lost ENGINE COOLANT!
A/C compressor oil comes out of the system looking green.

Also OP

If you were spraying that green oil out of your high pressure switch, you need to put more oil into the system or your compressor will fail.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwater View Post
A/C compressor oil comes out of the system looking green.

Also OP

If you were spraying that green oil out of your high pressure switch, you need to put more oil into the system or your compressor will fail.
i have not been turning on my a/c, heater, or fan. will it still burn out?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
Hardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardwater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Hardwater's Tacoma Gallery
I should of been more clear. If you decide to do this work yourself and use the little cans of 134a, your compressor could be low on oil and would eventually fail.

If there's not a significant loss of oil that you can see, you will more than likely be okay.

I imagine, but am not sure that on Toyota's as most other vehicles, the A/C compressor will not work with low 134a, so until you add something your compressor is fine.( EDIT doh, the system has a low pressure switch preventing operation in such condition)

Also, if there's a little green o-ring involved in that switch, which I'm quite certain there would be, make sure to replace it.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwater View Post
I should of been more clear. If you decide to do this work yourself and use the little cans of 134a, your compressor could be low on oil and would eventually fail.

If there's not a significant loss of oil that you can see, you will more than likely be okay.

I imagine, but am not sure that on Toyota's as most other vehicles, the A/C compressor will not work with low 134a, so until you add something your compressor is fine.

Also, if there's a little green o-ring involved in that switch, which I'm quite certain there would be, make sure to replace it.
what does the green o'ring have to do with this?if its green because of the oil i can clean it off.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I would think so.