1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd A/C Problem

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Ptfreak01, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Ptfreak01

Ptfreak01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner 4cyl Access Cab
    Today I was using my A/C(cooling) and while driving it stopped working. I looked under the hood and it looked like plenty of coolant was forced out of the A/C Pressure switch. The pressure switch would continue to expel pressure then it stopped after about 15min. Now there is no A/C at all. The coolant level is just above the minimum required level and the engine is not unusually gaining heat. Everything appears to be normal with exception of loss of A/C. Any ideas?

2. Apr 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Confused. Are you talking about the Air Conditioning or the engine coolant/radiator?

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    Ptfreak01

Ptfreak01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    When my A/C stopped working I immediately looked at my temp gauge. It was reading mid range so that did not alarm me. I believe its the "pressure switch" that blew out green refrigerant or anti-freeze. Either way, there is plenty of green goo that came out of the air conditioning pipe. does this help? I found a link that I believe is what im looking for but some verification would be nice.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/fil...6toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/04601110.pdf

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If your ac stopped working,check and see if the condenser fan is still operating...look and see if the fan is operating when the ac unit is engaged...if not and the ac does not shut down...shut it down!.Has anyone done a leak test on your ac...has anyone placed any dye into the system?.

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    I somewhat understand what your saying.The green you saw is dye that toyota adds to the system to aid in finding leaks.Your engine coolant is pink for future reference.I'm not sure what valve your talking about.I could not open the link you posted.If you post a picture i may be able to give some help.

6. Apr 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    The link you posted mentions the pressure switch. it
    I've never seen and your link does not mention a blow off valve.
    (A/C's are sealed units)
    got any pictures of what you saw under the hood?

7. Apr 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    Ptfreak01

Ptfreak01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I went to Toyota today and found out it is the A/C High pressure switch. Every time i tried to use the A/C it would spew out oil and refrigerant. i believe i am going to have to have it replaced. i priced it out and its going to be pretty pricey. Is it possible to evac the old refrigerant, replace the switch, and recharge the system accurately? do i have to evac the A/C system?

DSC05618.jpg
    DSC05620.jpg

8. Apr 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5
    Yes, the system must be evacuated, the faulty switch replaced, and the system recharged. The factory service manual should specify the amount of refrigerant required (by weight), and the specified quantity metered back into the system.

Anytime the system is opened, it must also be dehydrated with a deep vacuum, and it's a good idea to replace the filter/drier also.

9. Apr 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    if the system has leaked all your refrigerant out you don't have to worry about violating any laws by opening your ac system

the switch should be well under 100 bucks (20-70)
    if you need to break an ac line the tools are available at autozone for under 10 bucks

replace the switch
    check the manual for the proper amount of refrigerant (usually listed in lbs)
    get one can that contains the oil/lube plus refrigerant

find a shop that will pull a vacuum on the system for you
    if they will add oil and charge it for a reasonable price that would be great if not proceed to
    add your oil and 1 can refrigerant
    stop and check your pressure (gauges are available at autozone etc)
    add 1 can at a time until you are at the proper level

maybe some usefull info here
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253397
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8017502_toyota-ac-pressure-specs.html

My tacoma hasn't had any A/C problems yet but in the past
    I'm lucky in having a cousin that runs a home A/c shop
    I use his sniffer to find any leaks
    repair them

I have a friendly body shop that has an a/c recovery system that will vacum and charge a system to my specs usually at no charge (I supply refrigerant )

10. Apr 10, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Call around and see what the lowest price is to evac and recharge the system. I wouldn't worry too much about pulling a vacuum on it. That's a high pressure leak and there should not be any moisture drawn into the system because of it.

You can buy can's of 134a at the parts store and recharge yourself. But it's illegal to vent what's in there right now (if anything).

That switch just comes right off no tools needed. There is a schrader valve under it that would stop any further release. But it's probably all gone already. In fact, I know a guy who would probably just swap the switches and top off it off with the cans from kragen or autozone. :anonymous:

11. Apr 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5

That's correct

But once he opens the system to make the repair, then there is not longer any pressure in the system, and it is subject to moisture intrusion.

Anytime a system has been opened, its a good practice to replace the filter drier, and pull a vacuum.

12. Apr 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    I don't think the techs at Toyota heard you.

13. Apr 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Amen!

repeat

14. Apr 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    Ptfreak01

Ptfreak01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    joes06tacoma, you mentioned the schrader valve earlier and i think it is important to clarify because ive never heard of it. Is the pressure switch the electrical component connected to the schrader valve? if so then when i pull the pressure switch off the schrader valve it leaks slowly releasing pressure. do i have to replace the switch vise the schrader valve?

15. Apr 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Hardwater

Hardwater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD AC
    1.5" Add-A-Leaf, Toytec Coilover kit @ 2", LR UCA's, Bilstein 5100's all the way around, ProComp 7032's, 265/75 16 Duratracs, bed mat, Weather Techs Digital Fit Floor Mats, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Satoshi
    A/C compressor oil comes out of the system looking green.

Also OP

If you were spraying that green oil out of your high pressure switch, you need to put more oil into the system or your compressor will fail.

16. Apr 10, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Ptfreak01

Ptfreak01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i have not been turning on my a/c, heater, or fan. will it still burn out?

17. Apr 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    Hardwater

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD AC
    1.5" Add-A-Leaf, Toytec Coilover kit @ 2", LR UCA's, Bilstein 5100's all the way around, ProComp 7032's, 265/75 16 Duratracs, bed mat, Weather Techs Digital Fit Floor Mats, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Satoshi
    I should of been more clear. If you decide to do this work yourself and use the little cans of 134a, your compressor could be low on oil and would eventually fail.

If there's not a significant loss of oil that you can see, you will more than likely be okay.

I imagine, but am not sure that on Toyota's as most other vehicles, the A/C compressor will not work with low 134a, so until you add something your compressor is fine.( EDIT doh, the system has a low pressure switch preventing operation in such condition)

Also, if there's a little green o-ring involved in that switch, which I'm quite certain there would be, make sure to replace it.

18. Apr 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Ptfreak01

Ptfreak01 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    what does the green o'ring have to do with this?if its green because of the oil i can clean it off.

19. Apr 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    I would think so.

20. Apr 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    Hardwater

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD AC
    A/C components have a green o-ring where lines, condensers and high and low pressure switches connect to the system. They are a special o-ring designed to handle the temps and high pressures of the system. They are considered single use and should be replaced any time they have been in a pressurized system. In a bind I have reused them, but I would not in my own vehicle and that one is surely damaged with that leak, so it needs replaced. But more than likely a new switch would come with one.

Also, the oil isn't actually green, it comes out that way but quickly turns back to a yellow/amber colored oil. It could be a dye or some reaction to air, I am not sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top