Notices

4 Cyl. in place of v6

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
drumboy77 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
drumboy77's Tacoma Gallery
4 Cyl. in place of v6

Hi all..
I have 94 toyota pickup with V6 that has a head problem and I decided to get an engine for it. My question is these old v6 are not that reliable (at least that's what I heard) so I was thinking if I could put the 22re that I know it's very good engine. But I'll be towing trailers occationally for my motorcycles. I was wondering if this is possible...

Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated..
thanks..
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
With money and time you can do it. Yes the 3.0 is know to blow head gaskets but think there was a fix for it. I'm not too sure.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yes the 3.0 is known to blow head gaskets but think there was a fix for it.
Smartass Response:
The Fix = Replace with new Head Gasket.

Civil Response:
Might have to torque the head bolts a little more.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Smartass Response:
The Fix = Replace with new Head Gasket.

Civil Response:
Might have to torque the head bolts a little more.
Lol. Nah I meant that there might be a legitimate fix for it not just a head gasket replacement.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Lol. Nah I meant that there might be a legitimate fix for it not just a head gasket replacement.
I know, the opportunity was there though.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.
TheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
TheMrGExperience's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumboy77 View Post
Hi all..
I have 94 toyota pickup with V6 that has a head problem and I decided to get an engine for it. My question is these old v6 are not that reliable (at least that's what I heard) so I was thinking if I could put the 22re that I know it's very good engine. But I'll be towing trailers occationally for my motorcycles. I was wondering if this is possible...

Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated..
thanks..
I have a 4banger and it pulls my 19' fishing boat out the water and down the highway at 70mph fine. My truck is a 5 speed however and the gears are a better ratio then an automatic. Not sure what kind of tranny you had but depending on how big your trailer is you should be fine
Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
TheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Although the conclusion is right, you have a 2TR, and the OP is looking at transplanting a 22R. Different engines, yours is more powerful.
True the old 2.4L engines only put out around 125hp tops. Maybe you should go v6 or better yet try to get a crate 2tr
Old 04-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #9

(old engine) 22R-E = 112HP @ 4600 RPM and 192lb-ft @ 3400 torque
(new engine) 2TR-FE = 159HP @ 5200 RPM and 280lb-ft @ 3800 torque

just looked it up
Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
^ I think you've got your old and new backwards!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
He does
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
And the torque is wrong for the 2TR.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking3002 View Post
^ I think you've got your old and new backwards!
oops. Fixed it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
And the torque is wrong for the 2TR.
Well thats what happens when you google stuff and use the first result
It shouldnt be too far off the mark though
Old 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrGExperience View Post
(old engine) 22R-E = 112HP @ 4600 RPM and 192lb-ft @ 3400 torque
(new engine) 2TR-FE = 159HP @ 5200 RPM and 280lb-ft @ 3800 torque

just looked it up
280lb-ft from an OEM truck 4banger...LULZ

22R-E 112hp and 142lb-ft

2TR-FE 159hp and 180lb-ft

Those are the CORRECT numbers!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
280lb-ft from an OEM truck 4banger...LULZ

22R-E 112hp and 142lb-ft

2TR-FE 159hp and 180lb-ft

Those are the CORRECT numbers!
I am a failure... lol