Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Exhaust question

Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust question

Does anyone have a picture of the stock exhaust layout? Im trying to figure out what I should buy for my truck when its here, and Im not suree what will work best. Like will a hi-flow catconverter mess with and o2 sensors?
I really would like to take the stock full exhaust off and buy after market headers, converter and exhaust so its easy to put back to stock when I sell. Any help would be awesome
Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
"High flow" convertors won't do anything. What year truck are you getting?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Factory cats are already hi-flow.

If you want a more aggressive sound, you can have a muffler welded in. Changing pipe diameter from the cats back will also help with that.

What exactly is your goal?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just looking for a good, not so load sound and obviously any power/mpg gain
I had 2 hi flow magnaflow cats and a catback on my old silverado and I liked it. Thats why I asked
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Factory cats are already hi-flow.

If you want a more aggressive sound, you can have a muffler welded in. Changing pipe diameter from the cats back will also help with that.

What exactly is your goal?
Whats the stock size and best recomended size?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You're not going to get any power or MPG changes out of an exhaust setup without tuning the ECU, and that gets expensive.

For sound, start with a muffler, and perhaps adjust pipe diameter from the cats back. Bolt-on catbacks make for the easiest solution, but are a little more expensive than just having a muffler welded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Whats the stock size and best recomended size?
Stock is 1.75" into the muffler, 2.25" out...I think. It's been a while since I had to dick with exhaust.

Recommended? By whom? And for what? You can alter your sound a bit by twiddling with exhaust diameter, but that's really a matter of preference.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Quote:
You're not going to get any power or MPG changes out of an exhaust setup without tuning the ECU, and that gets expensive.

For sound, start with a muffler, and perhaps adjust pipe diameter from the cats back. Bolt-on catbacks make for the easiest solution, but are a little more expensive than just having a muffler welded in.
damn, your right. Im so use to picking the lapton up and making my own little ecu hack on my old civic it didnt even go through my head. meh. Im adding a header as well, that should do something
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Header and exhaust might get you 10hp max at high RPM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Header and exhaust might get you 10hp max at high RPM.
well thats alot when you think of it. nothing else will give you that unless you start throwing air into it
Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
Banned
^He even got a pic of the cat. LOL.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
well thats alot when you think of it. nothing else will give you that unless you start throwing air into it
Well I forgot we were int he 4 banger section so maybe 7ish on a 4 banger. 7 horsepower for about $500 isn't that great of a turnout.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stock is 1.75" into the muffler, 2.25" out...I think. It's been a while since I had to dick with exhaust.
2.25" in/out
Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Well I forgot we were int he 4 banger section so maybe 7ish on a 4 banger. 7 horsepower for about $500 isn't that great of a turnout.
no but its always fun to upgrade your baby. thats the best part!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
no but its always fun to upgrade your baby. thats the best part!
Oh yeah. I agree but after deciding a truck will never really be fast I stopped with the "performance mods" and I'm saving for a car that will actually be fast.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #18

Quote:
$500 for 7 hp you will NEVER USE unless you redline every gear.

In other words, a complete waste of money unless the exhaust note change is worth that kind of cha-ching to you.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:

In other words, a complete waste of money unless the exhaust note change is worth that kind of cha-ching to you.
Pretty much. If a blower was on the way like I had planned then you would get more out of those simple mods.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
TacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sean
TacoVerde's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

bounce the rev limiter with the doug thorley cat back and tell me its not worth it lol

i got the cat back for free and the header used so it was worth it lol

but i feel a differance in 5th