Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

WTH is wrong with our gas tanks...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
WTH is wrong with our gas tanks...

ok , not really.

I decided to drive the back mountain highways back home from my Uncle's funeral. I went through the center of Oregon,near some towns where he used to teach, back to Portland. Up this grade, around those 30mph corners, more grades more corners, snow,rain, more hills.
442mi. later and almost 8 hours and my tank was still not on empty,but close.Think I averaged 22, not bad for mountain driving, bench seat and a lot of shifting the manual transmission.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
ok , not really.

I decided to drive the back mountain highways back home from my Uncle's funeral. I went through the center of Oregon,near some towns where he used to teach, back to Portland. Up this grade, around those 30mph corners, more grades more corners, snow,rain, more hills.
442mi. later and almost 8 hours and my tank was still not on empty,but close.Think I averaged 22, not bad for mountain driving, bench seat and a lot of shifting the manual transmission.
Damn 422? I'm lucky to get 350 but I guess it's apples and oranges here
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
dgm is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
dgm's Tacoma Gallery
wow...I've been averaging about 20.6 and my truck is pretty similar. HTH are you getting 22 in the mountains? Granted most of my miles have been fast highway (like 70-80mph) Maybe it just really drops off after 70mph or maybe mine isn't broken in fully? 9000mi?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Speed limit is 55, so I didnt even try to hit 70mph. I think i averaged around 55mph. I'm not certain i hit 22 yet too. I think itll be 21.5-22 range. Also I had my stock tires at 38 psi for a bit better mpg. I guess all the little things add up, when i go skiing ,i cant break 20 mpg if i tried.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds pretty good. I thought I was gonna pull 400mi out of my last tank, when I remembered pourign an extra 2 gal in from a gas can so I could fill it up with the other 3 before gas went up. The other day I got 22mpg coming back to school. Amazing what a tail wind a riding behind an f-150 will do at 75 or 80.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Dang, I'm lucky if I get 270 miles on a tank! think that puts me around 14-15mpg...shit!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Sounds pretty good. I thought I was gonna pull 400mi out of my last tank, when I remembered pourign an extra 2 gal in from a gas can so I could fill it up with the other 3 before gas went up. The other day I got 22mpg coming back to school. Amazing what a tail wind a riding behind an f-150 will do at 75 or 80.
yea, the wind was going everywhere, I thought it was gonna really go against me ,i suspect it was behind me or to the sides. One damn grade was a head wind for sure , first time that truck couldnt hold speed in 4th on a hill too.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
i average 19mpg in mine =)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
how did u get over 400 miles on a tank? im getting about 18mpg but im lucky to get 320 miles on a tank
I usually get 24-25 mpg travelling on I-84 at 65mph. I think one added aspect is Oregon has a max speed on freeways of 65 mph. The rest is the usual synthetics, tire psi, 2ndary filter mod , etc.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I usually get 24-25 mpg travelling on I-84 at 65mph. I think one added aspect is Oregon has a max speed on freeways of 65 mph. The rest is the usual synthetics, tire psi, 2ndary filter mod , etc.
holy crap thats impressive but i guess i drive like a stole it and ive got 265s and a 3 inch lift (which doesnt do much) but i think im getting better cus they arent blending that crap in the gas like in the winter anymore but i would like to see 21 mpg again like when i first got the truck with 235s on it
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
holy crap thats impressive but i guess i drive like a stole it and ive got 265s and a 3 inch lift (which doesnt do much) but i think im getting better cus they arent blending that crap in the gas like in the winter anymore but i would like to see 21 mpg again like when i first got the truck with 235s on it
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Damn 422? I'm lucky to get 350 but I guess it's apples and oranges here
x2. But I drive it like I stole it.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
65 pfft. Around Atlanta we average 80mph. If you are driving 65, you better be in the far right lane. I do 75-80 in 55, 65, & 70mph zones.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
what was the elevation? i notice i get better mpgs at elevation. may be because the air is thinner so since the air fuel mixture demanded less fuel because there is less air? maybe?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
what was the elevation? i notice i get better mpgs at elevation. may be because the air is thinner so since the air fuel mixture demanded less fuel because there is less air? maybe?
passes/sumits at around 4000-5000' , nothing major, lowest elevation was mostly 1500', until i got close to Portland . Its not much over sea level.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I get 25 mpg when i'm doing 55. However I drive 75 which nets me ~21 mpg. Worth it.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many different fluids did you change?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
senile member

Front & rear diff, transfer case, manual trans , and sometimes I use synthetic motor oil.