Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

500rpm idle with bad shaking?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
500rpm idle with bad shaking?

Great...now what. I know I'm already having transmission issues starting about a week ago. And just 20 minutes ago driving home, the engine idles at 500rpm and shakes really bad. Usually idles at 800-900rpm. This is while in D and in Park.

So could this be tranny related or now do I have engine problems?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all1moonshine2 is a name known to all
1moonshine2's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say it's in the engine if it does it in park, but if there is a transmission problem that is putting an extra load on the engine, then it could be that. A bad torque converter for example, or a problem with the transmission's hydraulic pump.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
well, you have to go through the list of parts that allow your engine to idle at 800 range?
ECM, input sensors, output sensors, Temp sensors, etc etc.....
Sounds like it was all of a sudden which leads me to believe it's a sensor issue. Or low coolant or oil level?
Check the common sense things first and scan for codes. My scanner allows me to drive around with it plugged in and it reads the computer and every so many seconds it updates my screen to tell me what's going on. Pretty useful in this day in age when there is no simple answer sometimes.
Hopefully someone has experience this and can chime in.....
Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
I rely on my truck for work and need it everyday. I lose a ton of money everyday it will be in the shop. So tomorrow in the morning I'm thinking about telling toyota all that is wrong and have them diagnose it and give an estimate. then I will either have them work on it or take it to a reputable shop for a lower cost. Would this be a good idea or would I be wasting my time taking it to the dealership?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
reloadedkid is on a distinguished road

reloadedkid's Tacoma Gallery
did you pull any code?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
Try to pull codes if you can but take it to a foreign car shop which has good reviews. Most of my experiences with little shops has been that they are honest, will save you as much as they can and wont try to screw you over. The dealer could care less about one person's good or bad experience but a little guy needs the repeat business.

Either find a way to read the scan codes to see what its throwing up, or take it to a shop and pay the $ for a diagnosis
Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
scan first before going anywhere and pop the hood and check every plug you see. my Civic had a sudden idle problem and all it was was the IAC plug came off some how...weird...plugged it in and all was fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
I know when i shift into park the rpms drop from about 800 to 600 but comes back up to 800 ish right after it shifts but thats the lowest i go