1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sudden Idle Problem, Running Rough,Low RPM's

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Tacomaowner5505, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    Tacomaowner5505

Tacomaowner5505 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Hi Tacoma World. I have a problem. I have a 1999 SR5 Tacoma with a 3RZ-FE engine and I was installing a new stereo in the truck, so of course I forgot the golden rule of working on trucks electrical systems. Disconnect the battery:(. Everything was going fine until I pulled one of the two plugs that connect the stereo. I saw the clock come on and then die. The key was not in the ignition. So I finished wiring the stereo not thinking anything was amiss, but when I opened the door the dome light wouldn't come on for anything so I got a little worried. I started up the truck and It started at the first bump of the key to my immense relief, But I then noticed it running rough. It ramps up to about 1000-1100 RPM's and then drops down to 500-600 RPM's and shutters a bit like it want's to die. It doesn't die but it sure doesn't run quite right. It was running great before I whent through this stereo fiasco. The full list of symptoms is as follows:

Dome Light won't come on (I found the fuse burned out But I don't have another one to replace it with until this evening), Stereo Won't work:mad: (go figure), engine check light that has been on previously went off, Idle's Rough. Other than that all systems seem to be working fine.

Could this be as simple as some fuses or relays? Or something big like my EMC? Any thoughts on this matter would be thoroughly appreciated. It is my mothers truck and I am leaving in a couple weeks. I do not want to leave my mother with a problem truck.

Thank you for your time
    TacomaOwner5505

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear

Welcome !

if it ran great before working on the radio i would go back and check your wiring. Check all fuses.replace the blown ones and disconnect the battery before doing any work..Were you cutting and splicing wires ? maybe cut the wrong wires..
    id try and go back to the stock radio that was working and start over

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    Tacomaowner5505

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Well I don't think I spliced any wrong wires. there are two plug in connecters. one with four wires that lead to the rear speakers( there colors corresponding to the rear speaker wires coming off the radio connecter). The other plug in connecter had 10 wires the red, yellow and black (constant, ACC, and Ground) the four front speaker wires. a blue wire for the remote control feed, an orange wire that was taped off before I started working on it, that i didn't do anything with and 1 blue wire that had been connected previously but I couldn't find any wire that seemed to connect to it. If all else fails I will do as you suggest. Most of all I would like to know does anybody think I could have caused any serious damage (to the computer, IAC, or other wise)?

4. Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    Tacomaowner5505

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Okay status update. I installed the new fuse now everything works like a charm:p. well almost everything. The stereo,clock, dome light, and annoying buzzer that goes off when you open the door with the key in the ignition:D. But the idle problem, as it turns out, has been an ongoing problem. My mothers says probably for about two or three weeks now. I got in and drove it and here is what I found.

when truck is cold engine sits at about 500 RPM's and shudders and shakes like an unbalanced washing machine (maybe not that bad but enough to let you know somethings not right). when you try to take off and it's cold, engine has almost no power and is unresponsive to gas pedal being depressed. Once it has warmed up, it runs fine. Anybody have anything like this happen to them before? If so how did you resolve it ?

Thank you for your time.
    TacomaOwner5505

5. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear