Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Opinions Please

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions Please

WWYD? A litte torn on this issue.

My 08 2.7 with 40K has apparently sprouted a leak from the water pump. Pink shit leaking from the bottom of the pump, down the front of my engine and dripped(ing) onto the P/S lines.

Noticed it yesterday when I was under the truck.

Now, I got 2 options.

#1. Take it to Toyota and have the WP replaced under warranty.

#2. I work on cars for a living. I can replace the WP.

If I do it myself, I'll have to pay a little for the new pump, but I can also have the comfort of not having someone else touch my shit, espeically for a WP, won't have to deal the BS from the Local dealer, I can make a DIY thread on TW to help others out in the future.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for making them do it under warranty. I could wrench on mine but will not touch drivetrain until I have to after 100k, and only on shit they haven't already done and said I have lifetime warranty on that particular repair.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
Try this, Bring the truck into toyota and let them verify that it needs a new pump. tell them to order you a pump under waranty and sign off on intall. then you can install it yourself and you wont have to pay for a pump
Hmmm....would they do something like that?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396tears View Post
FGS

just go get it fixed you paid for the warranty
haha... I would say try and get the warrantied part and do it yourself.

If the cost of the pump is negligible to you, then just buy it and write us up a good one... the 4 banger forum could use some stickies.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Decided to let the Dealer replace it, screw it. I got em' pretty good today.

Back in August last year (the 16th to be exact) I had taken the truck in for the pedal recall/reflash and squeaky leaf springs. They tell me they will order the stuff for the springs and give me a call...NEVER heard from them.

Stopped over to made an appt for the WP and asked about the supplement for the rear leafs, told the lady "Yeah, they said they would call and here I am 8 months later...still waiting on a phone call from ya'll." She said, "They'll be here when you come in friday." Damn skippy they better be there.

Work was slow as hell today so popped off early and went back to Toyota to see if they could squeeze me in and possibly get a new pump on today. Were able to get the truck in, but was told they'd have to order the pump, should be there in the next 2 days. Glad I showed up today cause I would have waited until friday...then wait on a pump to be delievered, then wait the weekend, Sunday is easter, would have been next week sometime.

Oh, the write up.
-disconnect battery.
-Remove fan shround.
-Remove Serp. Belt.
-Remove 4 bolts holding fan to water pump. (maybe loosen the 4 bolts while the belt is still on, might help keep the pump/fan from spinning)
-Remove spring loaded tensioner assembly, 3 bolts.
-Remove 10 bolts holding pump to block.
-Reverse for install and install new gasket and flush system.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
why the hell would u do it urself when they would do it for free under warrenty? its free so take it
because a lot of the techs are retarded and its tough to trust anyone with your truck.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
because a lot of the techs are retarded and its tough to trust anyone with your truck.
Fo' Sho'

I took it back to them just b/c I didn't want to do it myself, have some issue where I would have to take it to toyota and they say "Oh, you did this yourself, you dicked your warranty" or try to pull some kind of BS.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
sambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to beholdsambojee is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
sambojee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
well they r the ones who have to keep fixing it till they get it right
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
First, you're a swell guy for wanting to help others with a write up, that's a great attitude. But honestly, until the warranty expires, I would have Toyota take care of everything. You would surely do a great job, but if any other WP/cooling issues come up, they might try to deny warranty coverage because of the non-certified WP installation. Plus if you ever sell, documented factory service and repairs are a lot better than "trust me I did it right."