LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

gas/injector cleaner and treatment suggestions?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
gas/injector cleaner and treatment suggestions?

I'm wondering if this could help my recent idle problems and at least help clean shit out. Have you guys used Injector or gas treatment or cleaners? If no one knows what I'm talking about, its like this:

What should I use? What do YOU use?

**2.7 Four Cylinder 120k miles
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Most are junk. Lucas is alright. I use it every oil change.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Just at any autozone or something? I wonder if fuel injector cleaner is even the stuff I should use....maybe gas treatment or something?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Have you checked out your air filter? How long has it been since you installed new plugs?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i'd check the air filter and maf sensor. you'll get a rough idle and bad mileage if the maf is dirty. as for something for the gas tank......i've used seafoam and berryman b-12 chem-tool....and occasionally some techron.\

seafoam is awesome.....the berryman is better for lawnmowers carbs and such.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
air filter is the aFe dry drop in replacement, i installed it maybe a month ago. toyota just changed the plugs about two weeks ago and the idling issues started about a week ago, I'm gonna take a look at the plugs in the morning.

Maybe I'll fill up next with some premium chevron...if that will make a difference. How do I check and what is maf?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Banned
MAF is in here. Gas won't do anything.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
MAF is in here. Gas won't do anything.
Most idle problems can be resolved by cleaning as illustrated above. You said Toyota just changed the plugs, and a week later the problem started? Probably not the plugs then, since it was not a problem until a week after install, but you could double check the gaps just in case the Toyota Monkey did not. A good fuel system cleaner may also help clean out any deposits a 120,000 mile plus motor normally may have in the fuel injectors, etc. All this should resolve your issue...
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
This is the most effective stuff you can buy:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.as...FUa8KgoduCnxJA
Attached Thumbnails
gas/injector cleaner and treatment suggestions?-80.png  
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
What would be a good oil to change to for my motor? I use Quaker State 530 now, and I do about 12000 miles every 6 months.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
if you can afford it,royal purple is great..if not,mobile 1 is half the price and just as great..if you treat your rig with just the basics like good quality gas and oil,it wont need the other additives,so splurge on better gas and oil..especially with the modern day engines,they are more advance than the older ones that did need an extra boost
Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam helps a rough idle.I've used it in many generators that have sat for long periods and it straightens them right out.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
PurpleHayz is on a distinguished road
PurpleHayz's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam is decent, but Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner is the best I've seen (much better expansion). Lotta gear heads use the stuff (see here) though I don't advise you to do this in your garage, or even your neighborhood.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Run Dino and change the oil and filter every 4-5000 miles. Any top quality oil and filter will be fine.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Might not be a bad idea to check for any hoses that might've worked loose and could be causing vacuum leaks. Changing the spark plugs requires removing the intake silencer on top of the valve cover. The silencer has two little vacuum lines (sans clamps) that connect to sensors which, in part, help control idle and emissions. Also, the auxilary PCV "overflow" hose is connected to the rear of the silencer with a very weak clamp.

Also, you can check the spark plug gaps, but don't try to gap them. If the dealership replaced them they're probably the stock Iridiums and will break the tips off inside the cylinder if you try to gap them.

Clean the throttle body manually, clean the MAF sensor, and make sure that you didn't get any water-laden gas. I have used Techron with some success in the past, but am by no means trying to convince you to use it. These days most fuels have all of the detergents needed to keep the injectors and valves fairly clean, if you don't have a direct injection engine (which we don't).