LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Rear end questions

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Rear end questions

Hey all, still kinda new to Tacomas and I'm wondering if the LSD from an 05+ TRD Sport is able to be swapped in to a 06 non-TRD truck without changing out other parts? i.e. is the differential itself the only difference or are the housings, axles/splines, etc. specific to one rear end or another?

Also, what kind of LSD do the TRD Sports have (i.e. are they electronically actuated or are they a simple cone or clutch type, etc), and what gear ratio are they (or does it depend)? My 4X4 2.7L 6-lug 5-speed is 4.10 geared, so the TRD would have to be the same for this to work.

If there's any variables to be considered between differentials, what can I look for and where to find the info I need?

Thanks so much for the help guys!

(FWIW I'm trying to find a totaled TRD Sport to steal the rear diff out of for a cheap LSD upgrade)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
05 to 08 Sports and some SR5s have a clutch type mechanical LSD. All 09 and up trucks use ALSD which uses the brakes to simulate a LSD. The stock mechanical LSD is very expensive and very hard to find. Not sure if it will even fit your axle.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It will fit.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Your idea should work.

Not sure on the gearing but believe it is 4.10:1 (of course the effective ratio would depend on your tire size also).

The LSD is electronically controlled.

Strike that. I was thinking of the full locker rear dif on the TRD package, which is electronic. No idea on the LSD? The full locker is the real deal!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
Your idea should work.

Not sure on the gearing but believe it is 4.10:1 (of course the effective ratio would depend on your tire size also).

The LSD is electronically controlled.
The LS Diff is a mechanical type on the 05-08 trucks, Dwight. He's talking about the TRD SPorts, not the TRD Off Road that has the E locker. And as far as gearing goes, he can swap his Ring gear onto the LS carrier with no issues.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Ahh yes Chris. Thanks. You are correct. I was thinking of the full locker on the TRD Off-road. Duh.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
Ahh yes Chris. Thanks. You are correct. I was thinking of the full locker on the TRD Off-road. Duh.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by the dealer that 4cyl diffs have a different axle spline count from the v6 diffs.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
I was told by the dealer that 4cyl diffs have a different axle spline count from the v6 diffs.
Many dealers have no idea what the Auto LS Diff is either. Everything I have read says the LS Diff fits the 8.4" housing. No mention of engine size.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Many dealers have no idea what the Auto LS Diff is either. Everything I have read says the LS Diff fits the 8.4" housing. No mention of engine size.
True...

I just say that because when I had my 4cyl I was looking into finding a true LSD third member. I talked to my parts guy (life long off roader) and he immediately told me I would have to swap the axles also.

He looked it up on the computer and showed me that 4cyls use a lower count spline on their axles (I don't remember the spline counts).
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
True...

I just say that because when I had my 4cyl I was looking into finding a true LSD third member. I talked to my parts guy (life long off roader) and he immediately told me I would have to swap the axles also.

He looked it up on the computer and showed me that 4cyls use a lower count spline on their axles (I don't remember the spline counts).
Thats true for the 5 lug Tacomas, but IIRC, all the 8.4's are the same.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #12

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thats true for the 5 lug Tacomas, but IIRC, all the 8.4's are the same.

You know, I bet your right... I bet he was thinking 5 lug.

Who dare question chris4x4?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
If your looking for more traction from a LSD swap, it would be easier to just drop in a ARB locker I would think. Not sure the difference in price to get the parts needed and installation costs for the LSD vs just dropping in an ARB Locker, but you would have arguably a larger and stronger rear end then the E-locker, with way more traction then the LSD will ever offer.